R4Tech suspension system ordered...

mmomega

AnyTimer
Oh that's hilarious... Nope, I actually called about it today and was told it still isn't here but "Firestone" was in a lunch meeting and I would be called back later today with an update. No call back.... Happy customer? Not even close at this point.

I thought I ordered on the 15th of Feb but it was the 13th as per receipt. The kit may be great but 46 days is getting very ridiculous and it still won't be in this week, no one seems to know where it is but my money is sitting safely in someone else's bank account.

I think I could have ordered an entire truck in that amount of time. Only thing I'm getting from 4WheelParts is " we haven't heard anything else"...from Firestone, "2 more weeks"... From SanluisRassini, "send us install pics".
Not ordering from any of them again if I can help it.

Ok, Woooo Saaaa, rant over.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I ordered from SD Trucksprings.
I called to check availability before just ordering through the net.

The rep knew exactly what I was talking about and offered "let me put you on hold and call Firestone".
The kits are not stocked, rather put together for an actual order. There are 7 sub kits that comprise the full R4 package.

Anyway, the rep confirmed with Firestone that all the parts were available and would be shipped Monday or Tuesday and I should have it by next Friday.

Do you use the name "Zixxer" somewhere?
Tony at Sanluis Rassani asked me if "Zixxer" had ordered his kit for a 450 yet.

The actual springs only started shipping from Sanluis last week.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Zixxer is a member on thedieselstop.com, he had posted that he already had his kit I thought and was just waiting to install it. Maybe he didn't order yet.

When I ordered through 4WheelParts they price matched SDTruckSprings online price + I got a discount for a truck club I'm in. I usually order my stuff through them since they are just up the road and I know some of the guys working there.
When I went in to order the manager had the kit pulled up on Firestone, Sanluis and SDTrucksprings website. He called Firestone and double confirmed we were ordering the correct kit for my truck. Manager hung up and said everything was good to go and just like you said it is built to order and it would be 8-10 business days or 2 weeks tops but set aside 3 weeks just in case there were any shipping problems.

Everyone knows the story from there, I call every 2 weeks for an ETA and 4wheel calls firestone which then bumps it another 2 weeks since Feb 13th. Who would really expect 49+ days for an 8-10 day ETA? I've been so close to ordering a different kit but then I'd be sitting in the waiting game all over again and it's frustrating. Oh well..... maybe this week but then I have to fly out Thursday-Sun so it won't get installed until the following weekend if then.

porthole

Retired
JD, I'd still send a note or call Tony at Sanluis. He is also one of the guys that is in the videos.
He always answered my emails within an hour or called back right away.

Last edited:

mmomega

AnyTimer
I sent him one earlier as well as calling 4WheelParts and Firestone. Yet to hear back from Tony but I haven't received any word from either other company. Mind made up I'm calling Kelderman Friday if my kit is not in and canceling this order, I can almost get a front + rear air ride suspension for the price of the R4.

mmomega

AnyTimer
The 2stage front retail is $1395 and 2 stage rear retail is $1495 so $2890 while I ended up right at $2300 for the R4 which is rear only or air all around for another $600.
Not sure if they would work with you at all on price if you bought both kits, I know of some companies that will over the phone.
I also remember seeing the kit on another site, 4wheelonline or something, with the rear priced at $1199 and front at $999.

After sending a 'nice' email to customer service at 4WP, it now seems they are interested in finally finding out where my kit is. They called me twice within an hour of the email and said they will call back in the morning after getting in touch with Tony at SanluisRassini.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Now they are saying it is going to be after the 16th before my kit ships... So someone has dropped the ball. Apparently my kit isn't in stock anymore but it was

Duane - did you get any confirmation that your kit shipped or is shipping this week?

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Just checked the website, Tuesday 9:30 pm, "still awaiting tracking".
So I assume the answer is not shipped.

porthole

Retired
Jim - as of Wednesday (04/11) mine is "supposed" to ship by the end of the week.

Again - heard that Firestone is waiting for one part, everything else in stock. They could not elaborate on what that one part is though.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Was supposed to get a call yesterday with a tracking # and I haven't heard a single thing from anyone.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Latest update: Got the call this morning that all of the parts are in (again) and it is packed in the box but they will not ship it out until next Tuesday, truck freight.

rustyshakelford

this has been a mess. wouldnt it be nice if they would just be upfront and honest with you. i would much rather them tell me they started selling the system before it was ready but id get one of the first ones instead of the back and forth

brett

porthole

Retired
Brett, these kits have been out for some time now. Apparently the re seems to be some confusion between the manufacturer, Sanluis Rassini, the distributor, Firestone and the end retailer.

Sanluis has repeatedly told me all the parts were shipped to Firestone, although there were initial delays with the F-350 DRW due to spring supplies.

The lack of communication between the big 3 is inexcusable though for a kit at this price point.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well Tony told me the same spring is used on F250, both 350s and 450s but as you mentioned I have also been told repeatedly that all the parts were in stock when the next day I was told that they were not by someone else.

I completely agree that for the price of the kit and that it is one of Firestones highest priced kits, essentially their flagship air ride kit, you would think communication would be much better to not upset the customer. There are quite a few major forums with members that are holding out to get this kit until more real world reviews are in and with them handling business like this it could cost them 10s to hundreds of thousands of lost income.
Like Brett said, I would have been fine if they would have been more up front and said hey, this kit could take 2 months to manufacture and get to you. I would have at least known my timeline so I could have looked elsewhere or known in my head that if it comes sooner then bonus!

At this point I am not even sure any of the companies actually produce any of it. I've received emails from SanluisRassini stating they were waiting on spring to come in from their suppliers but I was under the assumption that they were the company to manufacture the springs and the springs for the factory trucks. Firestone never answers any of my questions but stamp their name on the kit.

porthole

Retired
My kit just showed up today, even though SDTruckSprings said wit would not ship until maybe Monday.

Some really **** poor packaging, thin cardboard boxes and heavy steel parts don't mix. One piece of tape across the top doesn't help either. And one of the heavier boxes had staples that didn't go all the way through.

Maybe you will have yours today or tomorrow. My weekend to install was last weekend, don't know if I will have time to do this before our first rip now.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Mine isn't supposed to be in until late next week. I called after seeing your post and nope it isn't in yet. So about how many boxes did it end up being? Can you tell how many cfm the compressor is? I've read it is better than the regular ride rite compressor.

Its good to hear that they are actually shipping though.

porthole

Retired
6 boxes and the 2 main leafs labeled, 8 shipping labels.
Mine was picked on the 11th, delivered on the 13th.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Have you had a chance to look over the tank? Does it have enough fittings to add extra lines if you want air horns or aux hose line or does it look like we'll have to T into any main lines to add on? I know many aftermarket tanks have 3 or 4 tapped holes

porthole

Retired
Tank roughly measures out to 3 gallons, assume it is a 150 psi tank.
3 ports, 2 for air and one drain.
I think the kit has a one way check valve that supplies air to the bags.
The compressor is a 150 psi, 30% duty cycle.

You can get aftermarket tanks from 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons. A couple of ports to 8 or 9 (bigger tanks).
In steel, stainless or aluminum, rated for 150 or 200 psi.
Im considering a 5 gallon in stainless or aluminum, 200 psi service.
Then use a 200 psi, 100% duty cycle Viair compressor.
Plan on two pressure switches, a 150 & 200.
The 150 will be for 99% of the time. The other 1% will be for airing up the trailer tires using a switch for when needed.
I'd like to be able to tee off for air supply to the hitch, but that may be overkill.