R4Tech suspension system ordered...

mmomega

AnyTimer
The longer I have had the system, I am in almost 100% agreement with Duane.

I will not recommend this kit to anyone else.

As he had stated, with the trailer hooked up the ride, for me, is much much better. Not riding on a cloud but better.

The kits major selling point is taming the beast of the unloaded 1 ton pickup.
Does it do this? IMHO, it is an improvement but nowhere near how it is marketed. As some passengers have noted, it doesn't jam my spine into my head anymore but it isn't what I would call a major improvement. This is from backseat passengers.

I do notice more body roll than before and like Duane also mentioned.... I don't believe the shocks are working properly. The bags are underinflated sitting at a leveled ride height, sagging down over the lower mount bracket which I do not care for at all. This may be a large problem of the kit.
I haven't tried inflating the bags up to where they aren't rolling over the side of the bracket but even if that fixes one of the problems now I look like a 1970's Camaro all jacked up in the rear driving down the street.

The squeaking that has set in all but drives me crazy, my wife has said she just tunes it out but this gets embarrassing when you have passengers and they ask why your new truck with a $2000 air ride squeaks like an old rusty toy car and before you ask, yes everything was tightened properly and has been rechecked and it is quite random.
One day it will squeak all day long, the next day, maybe once or twice.

I haven't had any problems with the height control valves or air lines.
but

the included air compressor is NOT one that should be included into a 'flagship' product for the company.
It is probably twice as loud as the truck while running and I have had it randomly kick on during a drive 3-4 times.

I am going to try adjusting the height control valves up a bit so the bags have more air to see if that address my unloaded bouncy issues, then I plan on trying the higher inflated bags plus the Bilstein 5100 shocks to see if there is a difference. I am sure hoping that the fix would be that simple.

I am feeling like Duana where I will be putting more cash into the truck to fix the newer problems that the R4Tech was supposed to address in the first place.

If raising the HCV fix the rear bounce/body roll in addition to different shocks, then i'll just get a leveling kit for the front to "re-level" the truck out.

Oh yeah.... customer support at both Firestone and SR had stopped talking to me very quickly after the payment cleared.

mmomega

AnyTimer
ok, those are the same adjustments as on my front Rancho 9000XL's. I may place an order myself.

How long before your order is supposed to come in?

mmomega

AnyTimer
Ever find the major squeaking points in your suspension Duane?

On a side note: I ended up getting the Rancho adjustable knobs as well and removing the rear shocks from the air system. It takes a bit of adjusting to get the shocks "dialed" it. I've had my truck riding 1 1/2" to 2" high for 6+months just due to the bags "not sitting right" with the truck at stock height.

porthole

Retired
JD - no to the squeak. That will be a project for when the weather gets a bit nicer. I am going to start by removing the MOR/ryde rear spring hangers I had put on during the Goshen Rally. I could probably use some type of lube on the sliding pieces, but the firestone people think I need to remove that item from the equation.

I don't play with the adjustment knobs much. Without the camper I have them at 2-3, not sure. With the camper I just turn them all the way up.
I will most likely replace them when I order Bilsteins for the front and steering stab this spring.

I am still running the bags with the truck as close to level as possible. I have heavy duty hose tie wrapped to the frame edges where the bags roll over. They seem to be fine since doing that.

I have not been in contact with the Tech 4 people since the season ended. I plan on starting up that conversation in the near future though. I still think we have the wrong spring spacers. Two things they were supposed to be working on; different spacers and then taller bags to match.

BTW, do you have the shudder when towing the camper?
I am going in for a "verification" soon. My dealer already has the new style drive shaft in stock to try once they verify the condition.

And, I am in the middle of getting my rear outer wheels changed again for pitting around the valve stems. Those big fancy aluminun wheels are made in china BTW.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I tried to tackle the squeaking myself last weekend, crawled under and tightened every bolt and nut I could see but once I hopped in and put it in drive.....squeak.
I'll try again in a weekend or two when I can have someone else get in the truck and put it in drive and reverse so I can narrow down where mine is coming from, I'm wanting to say it is coming from those huge front silver brackets that just hang over and under the frame. We'll see.

I have a set of Bilstein 5100's lying in the garage that I had on the front and rear prior to the R4Tech, I just haven't gotten around to switching them out to see if they're any different. Another thing to do one weekend.

Good idea by wrapping the frame edges, I may have to use that.

Noone from R4Tech or Firestone have responded to any of my emails since actually picking up the system.

I do have a slight shudder at takeoff and if I get on it kind of hard from takeoff but then again I had it before the system as well. I also had it on my 2007 F350 until I added just normal rear airbags, they seemed to take the shudder out completely.
As for the wheels, once my tires wear out I'm thinking of going with 19.5" Alcoas with new tires.