R4Tech suspension system ordered...

porthole

Retired
Yes Jim, that is my plan, although not one off the versions that you frequently see.
I have seen dual 480 kits for a reasonable price.
I figure ala cart - compressor, 150 & 200 pressures switches, tank, blow off valve and of course hoses and fittings.
Second compressor will most likely go in the trailer to assist or replace the 150 psi PC in the basement.

jbeletti

Thanks Duane.

What PSI do I need for a pressure switch on a 480C to best fill-up my 110 PSI G614s? Whatever came with my 450C kit would not cut on when I needed it to.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Most compressor switches have a 30-40 psi differential between cut in - cut out. So your Viair 450, if it had a Viair pressure switch or pressure relay cut in at 110 and out at 145. So you end up dumping air to get the compressor back on.

Viair carries a 165/200 switch or relay that would go with the 480 series.
If you think the 200 might be too much there is a least one company that makes a 135/175 relay.

Keep in mind though, most tanks are rated for 150, so you need to make sure you match the tank to the compressor output.

My plan includes two relays. Like mentioned above, 99% of the time I will be using the air for the trucks air ride supply and maybe the hitch. And soon to add air horns. 150 PSI horns are less expensive then the higher pressure horns.
For the few times I need to air the trailer tires, a toggle switch for the 200 psi relay would be a simple addition.

A sample of Viair switches.
P/N 90110 - 85 / 105 PSI
P/N 90111 - 110 / 150 PSI
P/N 90113 - 90 / 120 PSI
P/N 90118 - 165 / 200 PSI

I would use a relay switch opposed to a standard 30 amp switch. The potential run time airing up trailer tires may overload the standard switch.
http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/electrical.html

mmomega

AnyTimer
The dual packs may be more than I would need right now, I may just go with a 5 gallon tank at first as I'd only be using my aux line for emergency situations for the truck alone and use the 150psi PC in the basement when the trailer is in tow.
After using this for a while I can figure if I'm going to want or need a better compressor. The kit bit a big chunk out of my truck mod allowance.
I do really like the idea of having an extra Viair with 1 5gallon or even 2 5 gallon tanks mounted under the belly if possible to completely replace the PC.

porthole

Retired
JD, What I was thinking with a 2nd compressor is to remove the 110 volt compressor that is in the basement now. Mount a storage tank under the trailer and the compressor in the front storage compartment.
The 110 compressor really doesn't take up that much room, as I have it in the center of the basement. But it is about 2 cubic feet of space I could use for something else.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Yes I agree, right now mine is in the center of the basement and it would free up a little more space like you said.
When the family goes on the river trips I use it to blow all of the tubes up and we have a good dozen to 18 tubes which is why I'm thinking I'd put 2 - 5 gallon tanks rather than 1.

I came across this tank on eBay it seems to have plenty of ports and 220psi rating for a 5 gallon tank at $60. It seems to be a nice tank to use for the truck air ride and horns plus the trailer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-St...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e1baf98e#ht_1301wt_924

porthole

Retired
I would suggest, when you get your kit play around with the ,mounting location of the included tank. As big as these truck are there is not a lot of room on the sides where most folks mount the tanks.
Also look at teh mounting legs. The tank you linked too seems to have tall legs.

I am considering mounting a tank under the bed, center just ahead of the rear axle. There is a fairly big space there.

While I was crawling there the other day I was surprised to see how much salt is still on the truck, and I make an effort to drive though standing water after the winter.
Looks like it is time to get the sprinkler out :D

porthole

Retired
that's an old "mudding" trick. Does a great job of getting all the caked on mud off after your ventures off road.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Hoping for some good news this morning but not so much.
4Wheel called again and said after talking to Natasha, the kit "may" ship tomorrow.

rustyshakelford

Hoping for some good news this morning but not so much.
4Wheel called again and said after talking to Natasha, the kit "may" ship tomorrow.

I was hoping to check this out in spring this weekend! I hope it comes in and you love it. We're crossing out fingers our trailer will be ready still. Dropped it off feb 27 and it's still not ready!

Brett

mmomega

AnyTimer
Brett, you and me both.

I told Jay that we weren't going to make it this weekend. I dropped the trailer off at the dealer after the Kerrville Rally and we just haven't gotten it back yet. - Found a bad leak around the door side, rear living room window. Replacing entire window and some other minor maintenance issues.
That plus we have to head out of state again this weekend. I'd much rather be sitting in Spring come Thursday evening than driving to Louisiana.

I'm sure it will be a great kit, it's just that this wait is just tough to swallow.

rustyshakelford

Brett, you and me both.

I told Jay that we weren't going to make it this weekend. I dropped the trailer off at the dealer after the Kerrville Rally and we just haven't gotten it back yet. - Found a bad leak around the door side, rear living room window. Replacing entire window and some other minor maintenance issues.
That plus we have to head out of state again this weekend. I'd much rather be sitting in Spring come Thursday evening than driving to Louisiana.

I'm sure it will be a great kit, it's just that this wait is just tough to swallow.

Just got word that they finally got the FW tank in but still have to do the underbelly and decals. I can spend $50 in diesel to go get it and another $50 to take it back plus the campground fees. Having a hard time deciding if it's worth it. There is no excuse its taken 7 weeks. In Texas after 30 days unrepaired, it's considered a lemon.

Brett

mmomega

AnyTimer
Documented 30 days, our SOB trailer was at the dealership 10 months the first year we had it, now we didn't use it very often either at the time. We never had to pay storage fees. When we finally decided to lemon it due to recurring problems, low and behold there was not proper documentation stating it had been in multiple times for the same problems. There were at least 5 trips to the dealer where it sat in their lot, they called us when it was ready yet never touched it other than parking it in a different location. Couldn't lemon it unless we could prove it.
Heck, the service managers were never there long enough for me to learn their names so it should have been a red flag then.

Hope your rv will be back to good soon enough.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Tracking # shows the kit should be delivered tomorrow.
So hopefully it should be installed this weekend.

porthole

Retired
Lucky for you, I missed 2 install time frame opportunities and may not get a chance to do it now until after our first trip. Maybe a week or two.

I am still looking at getting at least a different air tank plumbed in though. I found what seem to be reasonably priced, quality 3 and 5 gallon stainless tanks.
5 gallon tank
http://www.amazon.com/Tanks-Gallon-...=UTF8&coliid=I3QLHOQLH0X0NF&colid=NJE95DZFC0G

I am also reconsidering the dual Viair 480 package and looking at the Air Zenith 200 psi 100% (at 200psi) compressor.

Last edited:

mmomega

AnyTimer
that tank is almost too pretty to put under the truck. I haven't checked out any compressors other than the Viair's, I'll check it out as well.

I still like the idea of having a hidden compressor and tanks plumbed on the trailer.

Would you plan on leaving it stainless or have it powder coated black?