Read Through all the Blow Max Posts Need Tire Recommendation

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland is putting Saliun or Goodyear tires on the top tier fivers. My guess would be that it hasn't trickled down to the other brands-- probably a cost/benefit issue. Not saying I'm ok with it, just sayin'. IMHO, HL can differentiate themselves if they would be the leader in tire safety and market it as a superior benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Moderators:
Since the intent of the original poster was to get an idea of what brand of tires is being used out there on our large 5er's, how about setting up a poll where you can vote on what you are using, and can show some numeric results. The ability to add a non-mentioned brand of tires to the poll would be helpful. Is this possible???

Bill,

A poll might not be very meaningful since you can't correlate the votes to a particular model or timeframe. I could vote GY 614, but you wouldn't know that it was for a 2011 Landmark built in August 2010.

danemayer

Just curious, what do you consider Heartlands top tier fivers to be?
The Heartland website doesn't define a "top tier" but shows 4 luxury RV models at the top - so I guess it depends where you draw the line on "top tier".

Landmark 365
Bighorn
Big Country
Gateway

Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country have been built on the same production line using the same materials. I think Gateway is built on a different line and may have some differences to meet the lower price point.

Jhuff8181

I would do it because they are the best there is

Do you mean the 17.5" or the H or J rating?

Am I understanding this correctly? I have two 7000 pound axles on a fifth wheel with a GVWR of 15500 pounds because the pin weight is about 3000 pounds. If that's correct then I need four tires with a weight rating of at least 3125 pounds, right?

jnbhobe

Right!! that's all you need, on paper. 17.5" in H or J is overkill, yes, But the real life experience to me is overkill is good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country are the top 3. These are built on the same line.

I think Gateway is on the line with ElkRidge and Oakmont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Posz

As I recall from the factory tour at the 2013 rally, the Gateway is built on the same production line as the Sundance and the former Greystone. A dealer told me that the Gateway is a step up from the Sundance and includes as standard equipment almost everything that is optional on Sundance. We have had a 2007 Sundance since 2008 and will be trading it for a new 2014 Sundance next week.

jayc

Legendary Member
Jim, congrats on the purchase of your Sundance. Can't wait to see it somewhere on the road. Goshen perhaps?

Jim Posz

Yes to both of you. Definitely planning on Goshen; hopefully another one or two in the meantime. When Betty saw that the new unit (3310CL) had a washing machine hookup, king size bed and a door so that we can close the cat out of the bedroom, she was all in. We take possession Thursday. Jim

Jhuff8181

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. I'm considering either GY614's or the Sailun S637. Both are rated at 3750lbs at 110psi. My axles are 7000lbs and my GVWR is 15,500. Four tires comes to 15000lbs. So considering the pin weight is 20% am I good with either of these? I'm also wondering about the benefits of the added cost of tires and wheels if I go to a 17.5". Would it really be worth it? And will they run on my 2015 Gateway 3650BH?

Jim.Allison

I went with 17.5 and G114s. It was a good decision but having since weighed my rig, and getting a better understanding of what caused my 1800 mile Towmax tire failure, I would have gone with the G614 tires. They are more than adequate. The Towmax tire problem is strictly a tire quality problem. Put some quality tires on your rig and you will not have anymore tire problems. In addition to the G614 and their counter parts, here is a whole host of LT tires that can handle the load requirements of our rigs.

It is noteworthy that the Sailuns are Chinese tires distributed by Dynamic Tire out of Canada, The same company that distributes the Towmax. You can expect the same response from them if you have a problem as you would a Towmax. There are many LT tires that will do the job and I might even consider one of them. Firestone has the Transforce HT in a black wall, rated at 3420, still more tire than required for my rig anyway. Like I said, its a quality issue not a load issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. I'm considering either GY614's or the Sailun S637. Both are rated at 3750lbs at 110psi. My axles are 7000lbs and my GVWR is 15,500. Four tires comes to 15000lbs. So considering the pin weight is 20% am I good with either of these? I'm also wondering about the benefits of the added cost of tires and wheels if I go to a 17.5". Would it really be worth it? And will they run on my 2015 Gateway 3650BH?

Tire failures have become big concern since I had two Towmax failures in August 2014 while on Hwy 50 in the Nevada desert. We bought a new 2013 BH 3070RL and the tires only had about 8000 miles total on them. The PSI was good in Reno, weight was well below max, and the weather was mild for the desert. The first failure on the right rear probably was a flat (????) that destroyed itself before I caught it. Had Good Sam put on our new Towmax spare in Eureka ...and proceeded on...second BLOWOUT occurred in only 30 miles on the same side.... right front this time. This hwy has no suitable pullouts and we were forced to proceed at 25 MPH for 60 miles to Ely running on only the spare on the right. There is no cellphone coverage on that strectch we were on. Came in on a "Wheel and a Prayer". This blowout did significant damage to right skirting and literally tore out all the electrical in the wheel well...110 volt, two coax, 6 speaker wires and 12 volt wire.
Bought 4 new Goodyear Marathons in Ely and cut our vacation short to head home . Took a lot of work and $$$'s to make the repairs which are now complete. For piece of mind, I just upgraded to 14 ply/G rated Sailun S637's.
Let me say, that the support I received from Heartland, Treadit (Towmax) and TBC (warranty) was outstanding from all of them. Sorry some of you expressed a different experience. Sure made us sick to have this problem and costs and we are still a bit tramutized by the whole scary event but the people at these companies did their best to help us.
Best to all
Paul

I went with 17.5 and G114s. It was a good decision but having since weighed my rig, and getting a better understanding of what caused my 1800 mile Towmax tire failure, I would have gone with the G614 tires. They are more than adequate. The Towmax tire problem is strictly a tire quality problem. Put some quality tires on your rig and you will not have anymore tire problems. In addition to the G614 and their counter parts, here is a whole host of LT tires that can handle the load requirements of our rigs.

It is noteworthy that the Sailuns are Chinese tires distributed by Dynamic Tire out of Canada, The same company that distributes the Towmax. You can expect the same response from them if you have a problem as you would a Towmax. There are many LT tires that will do the job and I might even consider one of them. Firestone has the Transforce HT in a black wall, rated at 3420, still more tire than required for my rig anyway. Like I said, its a quality issue not a load issue.

Jim the highest rating I see for a 16" Transforce HT is 3415#, but that is a 265mm tire. The more common width for many of us would probably be @225mm. That rating is 2680#. Moving to 235mm gets you 3042#. I would be comfortable with the load rating of the 265mm but I don't know about figment on my rims.