rear ladder bent and broke on 2013 2950RK

kenh

Has anyone put a rear bumper on a Big Country? I would like to install one and mount the ladder on top of the bumper. My previous ladder bent down and broke form me climbing up. I am 230lbs and the ladder will not take my weight.
Ken

danemayer

Hi Ken,

I can't answer the bumper question, but I was a bit worried about the standoffs on my ladder so I cut a 2x4 in half and put a series of alternating notches on each side of one end. Then did the other 2x4. I use the 2x4s as supports for the ladder. The notched end fits against the lowest standoff and the other end is wedged in place on the ground. Because the height from the ground varies depending on how I set up and how level the campsite is, I find the notch that best fits the distance from the standoff to the ground. The 2x4s ride in the back of the truck when not in use under the ladder.

MTPockets

I'm bummed out about these ladders. Mine sagged with my 230 lbs from day one and I've replaced 10 of the plastic end caps, so far, that Atwood sent to me no charge. We looked at a new Landmark in Texas with the ladder so loose I would not want to consider buying. There have been many on the forum with similar issues and how they have dealt with it; I would like to know why these ladders are still built so owners have to rebuild them to make them solid. Just replaced two more of those plastic end caps last week!

danemayer

Just replaced two more of those plastic end caps last week!

I have to get up on the roof frequently in the winter - sometimes 2 times a day to clear snow. I added hose clamps under the rungs. Put a 1/2" strip of gasket material under the clamp so it would stay put. The rungs can't move and the plastic inserts don't break.

I agree it would be better if the ladder held my weight, but I still have to get up there so I've done what I needed to do.

Attachments

• Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 176

RoadJunkie

Bummer, Atwood charged me for end caps on my ladder. But, to me, the interesting question is what exactly is the weight rating in these ladders? Can't help with bumper addition for ladder base. I did add some square tubing that extends from the frame to support my folding ladder containment, bit I dont think it would support the weight of stepping on it.

GOTTOYS

I put a small metal card table type chair under mine for extra support. I may have to stack some garage lumber on it to get the right height. It keeps the ladder from flexing when someone climbs it...Me?.... I wouldn't climb that cheap piece of junk if you paid me...Don

Eddhuy

I tightened the 4 standoffs and they hold my 240 lbs well enough for me to fell confident. So far the end caps are staying tight. I am going to look for a way to bond the screws in the standoffs to the FW somehow, that may be the trick for the long run.

We own a 2013 Big Country Model 3593RE that I am very concerned that ladder will break. When I go to use the ladder, I climb my six foot step ladder to the top, then step over on the trailer ladder. I find the upper portion of the trailer ladder is stronger than the lower portion of the ladder. I also am 230 pounds. At the Heartland National Rally last summer in Goshen, IN, this question came up. We were told the ladder would support 300 pounds. I don't feel the lower portion of ladder is supported to the trailer to support 300 pounds.

Jim Heibeck, Fort Wayne, IN

Greengas

Fixing the ladder was on my list of initial warranty work. I only weigh about 180lbs but when I would climb the ladder the supports seemed ready to pull out from the back wall of the coach. The fix that Heartland sent the dealer was to reattach the ladder in new holes. Well, it's better but still not good. The problem is that there is insufficient support for the ladder in the rear wall of the rv. If you search this forum you will see many entries about Heartland ladders.

Gizzy

We had the plastic end caps replaced just before the warranty ran out and they have been OK since.

I was always concerned about climbing the ladder because of the extreme sag on it.

I had a slide out support from our previous TT and adjust it to fit under the bottom of the ladder. It works great. No more worries.

MTPockets

Fixing the ladder was on my list of initial warranty work. I only weigh about 180lbs but when I would climb the ladder the supports seemed ready to pull out from the back wall of the coach. The fix that Heartland sent the dealer was to reattach the ladder in new holes. Well, it's better but still not good. The problem is that there is insufficient support for the ladder in the rear wall of the rv. If you search this forum you will see many entries about Heartland ladders.
Ron, what did they do about the old holes? And yes, the support, the ladder, the plastic ends, are all insufficient. And, if you search you will find this discussion has been going on for years and the same poor quality is still here. I've talked to Customer service and Atwood and just get blank stares.

Greengas

Ron, what did they do about the old holes? And yes, the support, the ladder, the plastic ends, are all insufficient. And, if you search you will find this discussion has been going on for years and the same poor quality is still here. I've talked to Customer service and Atwood and just get blank stares.

I've looked at the back and to be honest, I can't find where they redid the holes. Now, its possible that they moved them so close that the old holes are under the support caps. Its also possible that they just tried to tighten up what was already there. It is marginally better, but there is still quite a bit of flex. I remember reading about all the ladder problems when we were awaiting delivery of our Landmark. I even contacted customer service about the issue and was told that it was a non issue.

danemayer

Here are some pics of the ladder support mentioned earlier. Each 2x4 is 44" long.

Attachments

• Ladder-Support-CU-resize.jpg
    Ladder-Support-CU-resize.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Ladder-Support-inset-resize.jpg
    Ladder-Support-inset-resize.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Ladder-Support-resize.jpg
    Ladder-Support-resize.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 144

MTPockets

See the picture in post #4.
I'll probably do that or similar (don't like looks w/hose clamp) still thinking. We buyers should not have to do these things to be safe. There are appropriate fixes/answers that Heartland could have done - Stronger support and ladder. I know, it costs more, but for the cost of just one lost 5vr sale, thousands of appropriate ladders could have been provided.

danemayer

Terry,

I know the hose clamp solution isn't pretty. But the basic approach works well. If you can think of a more elegant way of securing the rungs, it'll probably become popular.

Wmnmy

I have found a great use for my ladder and that is o carry a 300pound folding extendable ladder attached to it I broke mine climbing up on my previous cyclone didn't take chances with the elkridge bones don't heal like they use too lol.....

Greengas

We can continue to bring up the same item, over and over again, and all that does is make us frustrated. We create innovative solutions to solve the problem and that is great but in truth it solves the symptom not the problem because the ability to fix the problem rests with Heartland not us. Looking back on this thread as well as others concerning the same ladder issue there is something missing and that is the input or comment from Heartland. So I believe it is time to send this issue directly to Jim Beletti and have him bring it up to Heartland as a serious owner safety concern. I have the utmost faith in Jim's ability to raise and issue and get good results on it from Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I wonder if all manufactures use the same ladders? My guess is yes....made in China and crap material.