rear ladder bent and broke on 2013 2950RK

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Interesting thread. I weigh 255 and use my ladder quite often, but have not had any of the problems I see here. I use a step stool to help get on the first ring and climb up slowly so I don't subject a lot of weight onto the ladder suddenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

It is not the make of the ladder that is a problem. The problem is how it is attached to the coach.
My ladder has had bent bolts, broken plastic end pieces over and over, and a near fall. I sent Atwood, the ladder mfg., the following... here is my original note and their reply FYI.... Seems that I or someone has to die before they do something.
This is my original Notesent to Atwood Ladder

To: Service @ AWC
Subject: Request for Information from Atwood Mobile Web Site

How Atwood Mobile can help me: Re: Ladders - RV.net , Heartland forums havedozens of complaints about the safety of the rear RV ladders. Sagging support,broken plastic ends, bent bolts. I have had at least 10 of these plasticpieces break and feel that simply replacing these is not a proper solution, asthey keep breaking. This problem has been continuous for years. I demand asolution as my life and safety are at risk with this inferior product thatAtwood continues to supply after repeated consumer complaints. Pleaseadvise what remedy Atwood can provide for me and the hundreds of others withthis safety defect affixed to their RV's.

And this is their reply: (As youcan see, there is no concern at all expressed by Atwood regarding consumer safety. This, I find distressing, as well as nomention of alternatives or their intention to provide a safe ladder.)

Sent: 11/7/2013 1:11:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: RE: Request for Information from Atwood Mobile Web Site

Terry-

I do apologize but that is the only end cap we offer and the only solution iswhen they break is to replace them if you do choose so. We build thousands ofladders a year and unfortunately there may be hundreds that are complaining onforums like you say but there are also thousands of customers that do not havea problem.

Thanks,

Kara McAfee
Atwood Mobile Products
1120 North Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46514
(574)266-4842
k.mcaffee@atwoodmobile.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:08 PM
To: orders @ ADA
Cc: Ruben,Dennis @ SIM
Subject: FW: Request for Information from Atwood Mobile Web Site

ChangingPlaces

Hello all,
We installed a bumper that supports the bottom of the ladder, stopping it from bending as I stepped on it.Bumper2.JPG
It works very well, but we too have had the end caps on one of the steps broken.
Cheers Paul

Last edited:

Phatkd

On a month long trip this past summer, my ladder broke on both sides where the first rung of the ladder connects to the 2 bottom supports attach to the 5ver. It is now in the shop for a list of warranty items that I wanted to get done before my 1 year warranty expires.

I can post an update when I have an answer back from Heartland if the ladder will be replaced or not.

MTPockets

On a month long trip this past summer, my ladder broke on both sides where the first rung of the ladder connects to the 2 bottom supports attach to the 5ver. It is now in the shop for a list of warranty items that I wanted to get done before my 1 year warranty expires.

I can post an update when I have an answer back from Heartland if the ladder will be replaced or not.
The Atwood reply says with only hundreds complaining it doesn't warrant action. How many just fix them and don't complain? It seems that's what several have done. They'll never get improved if we stay silent.

Greengas

The Atwood reply says with only hundreds complaining it doesn't warrant action. How many just fix them and don't complain? It seems that's what several have done. They'll never get improved if we stay silent.

My point exactly, and not only with ladders!

Phatkd

Well I demanded that Either Heartland or Attwood replace mine with a higher quality, heavier duty ladder. I wiegh in at 210lbs, and there is no reason why the first step up a ladder should break on both sides. Heck I was only trying to get on the roof to sweep some pine cones off of the slides….Not Impressed at all folks.

If I had been injured,..well lets just say there should be a bunch of nice folks out there who should be happy I wasn't.

Great coach!!! But absolutly LOUSY ladder….PERIOD, THE END

mslater

Just got my 2014 big horn to fl. On thur. I read this thread this morning and than had to take my dog for a walk . I passed 5 late model landmarks and 2 big horns .... Everyone of them had bent down stanchions on them ... They don't seemed to be much good except for hanging cloth drying racks , or real ladders on them .... Quess I won't even try mine .... Not built like a 10 year old girl

Dave49

I am 250lbs and I use the ladder to carry a real ladder. An extension ladder that also is a high step ladder. I can get on top, and wash and wax sides with no problem. Had to replace bolts the first time I used the stock ladder. Not safe enough for me. Dave

MTPockets

The Landmark General Manager, in a thread started when he was new to the position, stated that he would look into the ladder situation...I wonder if he did, and what if anything was done to improve ladder stability?

Seren

I bought a 2014 Landmark in March and I am 250 lbs. I have tried getting on the ladder, but with the sag I have never attempted getting to the top since I do not want to be breaking it. So, obviously this is one of the items that Heartland has not fixed after all these years.
I guess all things have a purpose, since my DW who weights 125 lbs can get up there without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JonV

I don't have a rear bumper but you gave me an idea...

When we bought our trailer I had a trailer hitch made and installed. There is no reason I couldn't have 1 1/2 - 2" angle iron welded on with supports going up to the base of the ladder. I climbed that ladder once and went out and bought a 16' ladder to get on the roof.

Just an observation... There sure are a lot of us here that weigh in a 230lb. ;)

Has anyone put a rear bumper on a Big Country? I would like to install one and mount the ladder on top of the bumper. My previous ladder bent down and broke form me climbing up. I am 230lbs and the ladder will not take my weight.
Ken

Jim.Allison

I saw blank inserts for receiver hitches or perhaps they were extensions, but they would make perfect starting point for such an RV ladder.

I wont get on that ladder, My wife and my son are the only ones that have used it and its already suffering. My son still weighs less than 190 lbs and my lovely wifes is nowhere near that.

I don't have a rear bumper but you gave me an idea...

When we bought our trailer I had a trailer hitch made and installed. There is no reason I couldn't have 1 1/2 - 2" angle iron welded on with supports going up to the base of the ladder. I climbed that ladder once and went out and bought a 16' ladder to get on the roof.

Just an observation... There sure are a lot of us here that weigh in a 230lb. ;)

porthole

Retired
The Landmark General Manager, in a thread started when he was new to the position, stated that he would look into the ladder situation...I wonder if he did, and what if anything was done to improve ladder stability?

I was told by the Landmark rep in Urbanna that a ladder replacement prototype was being looked into for the new Landmarks.

That was in response to my questioning the ladder that was on the 365. If I was to order a LM today, it would be with a ladder delete.