rear slide out question

jmg143

I have a 2011 sundance. The rear slide will not extend now. We just extended it and retracted it last week but all it would do today is a clicking noise. It would not go in or out. The other 2 skies were fine, went in and it without any problems. The battery village was good 13 volts and tester inside said the batteries were good. Any ideas?

jmg143

I fixed it this afternoon. I took a Cresent wrench and moved the square tubing where the gears are located. I moved it just a little and I heard it latch into a gear. It would then go in and out. It must have pulled in to far and came over the last gear. Is there a better way to manually crank the side in and out?

jimtoo

Hi jmg143,

Thanks for posting what you did to make it work. I can't say as I have ever heard of anything like that before. Is there anyway you could take a picture and post it here showing what you moved? I take this slide is electric motor driven and not hydraulic?

Also, welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family.

Jim M

jmg143

Yes I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. It is an electric slide. My camper has the artic package so I can not get to the motor with removing the bottom material. That was my next step if what I did did not work.

berky

The same thing happened to me on two different occasions on my North Trail. In my case it seemed as though the slide was frozen and the motor didn't have enough oomph to break it free. So I did exactly what you did.

Both times were in the first year of ownership, and it hasn't happened in the last two years. I've been careful to bring the slide in to where it seals well, but not to the full travel limit. Maybe that is the difference in the past two years.

Your slide should have a manual override. On my North Trail it's a shaft protruding from a hole drilled through the TT's steel frame, with a nut welded on the end of the shaft. On mine that shaft and nut is on the opposite side of the trailer from the slide, hidden behind the steps.

Davy

Greetings. We just got a 2015 Big Horn 3010. Twice now, the big slide on the passenger side has tipped out when retracting. We had a Heartland Dealer service tech check it and said the rubber seals were dry and binding. He said there are no internal guides on the slide and it was OK. I have a hard time believing that large slide can hang out there without internal support. Anyone have any input on this?

danemayer

Greetings. We just got a 2015 Big Horn 3010. Twice now, the big slide on the passenger side has tipped out when retracting. We had a Heartland Dealer service tech check it and said the rubber seals were dry and binding. He said there are no internal guides on the slide and it was OK. I have a hard time believing that large slide can hang out there without internal support. Anyone have any input on this?

Hi Davy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on your new Bighorn.

Can you describe a little more fully what you mean by "has tipped out when retracting".

Do you mean that the bottom pulls in a little before the top starts coming in? Something else?

Davy

Hi Davy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on your new Bighorn.

Can you describe a little more fully what you mean by "has tipped out when retracting".

Do you mean that the bottom pulls in a little before the top starts coming in? Something else?
When the slide starts to come in, it raises up a little and moves in at the bottom. The top does not move and as the bottom moves in the slide is tipped out at the top, alot. Maybe as much as 20 deg. It has done this twice. A Heartland dealer service tech told us there were no guides on the slides, that they just balanced out there. I am having a hard time believing that.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Davy, if you look at how the slides are installed in your BH you will see that the only thing that moves the slides are two arms that extend and retract at the bottom of the slide.So if you are retracting the slide the arms below start pulling in, but only at the bottom, so the bottom will start to move first followed by the top of the slide.And yes, the slide just hangs out there. It is riding on a nylon glide strip and when extended, once it gets into position it will drop down a bit so it sits at floor level.Then when you bring the slide in it has to come up out of it's dropped position then pull in.Hope this helped somewhat.
It sounds like your slide is operating normally.

Peace
Dave

rxbristol

Yes I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. It is an electric slide. My camper has the artic package so I can not get to the motor with removing the bottom material. That was my next step if what I did did not work.

Thanks for the post and pictures.