Rear springs wearing too soon ???

Trailer Trash

We have an 09 Bighorn 3370 36' 2 axle. I have replaced the flat rear springs 2X, front springs seem to hold up well. Trailer is not overloaded and is towed level. Suspention shop I went to suggested NOT to go to a heavier spring just use a quality one. The last 2 sets of springs were Lippert. We don't travel too many miles each year. Any idea why they would wear out too soon? Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What does moved to correct area mean? How do we find this post in the correct area?

If you're working off a phone or iPad, not much. On a computer, subject matter is broken up into more specific titles, areas of interest, or content. Doesn't mean anybody is censoring you.

It's the moderators way of putting your thread into an area that is more likely to get noticed.

Jim.Allison

Not worried about being censored, I just want to know what action if any, does someone who is working from a computer when the subject comes up on the main feed.
If you're working off a phone or iPad, not much. On a computer, subject matter is broken up into more specific titles, areas of interest, or content. Doesn't mean anybody is censoring you.

It's the moderators way of putting your thread into an area that is more likely to get noticed.

Jim.Allison

Not hardened or tempered. Wrong spring. No shocks installed or worn out shocks.

Fatigued springs can be brought about from overloading, bad material and workmanship. But bad shock can allow the axle to oscillate more. This oscillation can speed up fatigue.

Having said that, there are many rigs that do not have spring problems and do not have shocks either. Perhaps you are experiencing a combination of problems, Perhaps poor shocks and poor quality springs combine to cause the spring to fatigue early.

We have an 09 Bighorn 3370 36' 2 axle. I have replaced the flat rear springs 2X, front springs seem to hold up well. Trailer is not overloaded and is towed level. Suspention shop I went to suggested NOT to go to a heavier spring just use a quality one. The last 2 sets of springs were Lippert. We don't travel too many miles each year. Any idea why they would wear out too soon? Thanks

caissiel

I replaced my 7000 lbs axle springs on my unit within 6 months. Only to find out that W shape springs is the norm for above axle trailer Springs.
The new ones are now 5 years old and 50k miles. Replaced the spring bushings after 3 years and they would have lasted an other year.
The one important thing I have found is the proper balancing of all the tires. An out of balance tire will wear out springs shackles and bushings in no time.
Happened to me on our 1st unit that only weight 6k lbs.
I now have a complete set of springs for my 7k axles because I kept the replaced ones that I thought were weak.
To note. I relocated the top location my 4 shocks they are now angled properly and prevent any axle vibrations saving additional wear to the suspension.

The original location is correct for under the axle spring location, when above the axle the spring plate loads the springs (reason for flat springs) and moves the shock close horizontal position that ruins the bottom shock shaft and allows the shocks to leak out.
Can't understand why after 6 years they still deliver these units with improperly installed shocks.
For this and other practice I am still surprise at the manufacturing methods adopted by this company.

danemayer

Sometimes threads are created in a sub-forum that isn't the best match for the content being discussed. In those cases, a Moderator will move the thread to a sub-forum that's a better fit. The forum software provides an automatic linkage that's left in place for a week so that anyone looking in the original location will still find the thread.

Many people who follow the forum use the "What's New" button and see all the new threads and posts, regardless of where they're located. For them, the location doesn't matter much. But in the future, when people are browsing sub-forums looking for information, it becomes very important to have threads in the correct location.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Sounds to me like your springs are not heavy duty enough, or maybe that axle is flat, or both.

Our springs were shot and both axles flat after two years and roughly 4000 miles on the trailer.

We are getting both axles and spring sets upgraded, plus all five tires and wheels later this week, unless all of the parts aren't in yet!

I found a local shop that builds heavy duty utility trailers that also does trailer repair to do the work on our trailer . . . it is possible that the suspension shop you went to might not have the right answers for your problem.

Maybe get a second opinion.

lwmcguir

My 7K springs had the W configuration, 8K don't due to the difference in capacity and loading

Attachments

• 7K spring Augusta.jpg
    7K spring Augusta.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 44
  • 8K Spring Augusta.jpg
    8K Spring Augusta.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 41