Reico-Titan Ground Control System

porthole

Retired
Re: Reico-Titan Ground Control System: Installation Complete

I also took time to put the sensors for my TST system on the trailer tires. Seemed to work, but it kept showing the tire readings all the way home...10 miles from the trailer. I'll have to figure that out.

You can "turn off" the trailer section of the TST monitor.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just wondering how the Rieco system compares to the Lippert level-up systems. Thinking about one for my 3494qbs
Not sure how the Reico system "compares" with the level-up. After researching both, we decided on the Reico system for several reasons. Those reasons may not be the same as anyone else's reasons for choosing a leveling system.
For us it was a user friendly installation, cost difference and more safety overrides on the Reico in case of a malfunction.
After a cross-country trip and several short trips, we are still very satisfied with our choice.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure how the Reico system "compares" with the level-up. After researching both, we decided on the Reico system for several reasons. Those reasons may not be the same as anyone else's reasons for choosing a leveling system.
For us it was a user friendly installation, cost difference and more safety overrides on the Reico in case of a malfunction.
After a cross-country trip and several short trips, we are still very satisfied with our choice.

I'll second that opinion. I was able to install it myself, in a storage yard 10 miles from home. Hardest part is drilling into the frame to mount the rear jacks. An 18V Impact Driver is a good thing to have, however. Makes running the bolts a lot easier.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
dvanden, to expound a little on what John and Ray have said here are some of differences between the Rieco and Levelup. Some of this might also apply to the Big Foot but I am not very familiar with that system. Only you can decide if any of these points are positves or negatives.
1) Ground Control (GC) is electric with 4 indiviual motors. LevelUp (LU) uses a hydraulic pump-the same one used for your slides.

2) GC is a very simple and easy to self-install. I never installed a LU but my understanding is you have to have a Lippert or Trail Air center install the system. Still, there really does not seem to be too much to the system if you understand hydraulics.

3) As of right now, the GC is still just a manual system. You have control of all the jacks. There is no one touch button operation for automatic leveling but my understanding is that they have put the first one on Sonny's trailer in the last month. With LU, push one button and it levels the trailer by itself.

However, with that said in #3, there is no software to fail with the GC, I have read of a few failures on the LU software on this forum but it appears they were either operator error or minor reprogramming.

4) If a motor fails with GC, the motors can be switched from one jack to another very easily. Not sure what the back up on the LU is. Some one who has it could help here.

5) As stated, LU uses hydraulics so if you blow a packing or burst a line there is no safety check valve built into the system and the trailer will come down. If you blow a line on the LU, not sure if you can isolate the LU from the hydraulic system so you have slide operation. The GC is electric and CAN NOT come down due to a motor failure. However if you do not take care in running the wires for the system, I imagine you can have a wire chafe and cause a short-disabling the system.

6)GC comes with two remotes in case you loose one or the battery fails in the primary unit. You do not need a remote with the LU-(I think), just push the button on the control panel.

7)GC has 4 jacks and you can still use the rear stabilizers independently of the GC. LU, from the factory has 4 jacks, if it is a retro it has 6 jacks. The rear stabilizers are tied into one of these systems but not sure which one. It does seem strange that the retro would have 6 jacks and I do know of at least one trailer that had 6 put on from the factory but my understanding it had or has something to do with a patent owned by DRV and Carriage. The LU was either developed for DRV or by DRV and they use the 6 jack system.

8)LU is much faster getting the jack feet to the ground than the GC is. Never timed the LU but it takes about 12-15 seconds for my front legs to reach the ground.

9) No need for snap pins or extending the legs on the LU. The front legs on the GC still have snap pins and I have found I need to always extend the front legs so I have 3 holes showing below the outer jack frame. The trailer seems to be more stable that way. I think the front legs on the LU have a longer travel than the GC.

I am sure there are more differences but this is what stood out in my mind when I had to choose between the two.

ParkIt

dangnabbit! just had a reply and hit the other reply button wiping it out, sometimes this forum set up is as goofy as the wiring/plumbing/leveling on these units ;)

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay guys, it has been a year now with your systems. Any updates, suggestions you would like to propose? Are you still satisfied with your GC system?

John, do you want to help me with mine if I get it? You are the man. My rig is in the driveway so plenty of tools abound.

Peace, out brother.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Okay guys, it has been a year now with your systems. Any updates, suggestions you would like to propose? Are you still satisfied with your GC system?

John, do you want to help me with mine if I get it? You are the man. My rig is in the driveway so plenty of tools abound.

Peace, out brother.

Rick, the only things I've done were to go to Mid-State Bolt & Screw in Flint to get real Grade 8 zinc dicromated bolts, washers and lock nuts. The Bafungu ASTM A307's that came with it are crap. I did not use the self tapping bolts, but used the nut/bolt attachment for the rear jacks. The instructions said torque to 75 ft-lbs, but the spec for that grade is only 20 ft-lbs. Figured that out after snapping a few. The Grade 8's can handle 45 ft-lbs.

Other than that, no complaints what so ever. Just remember, it's not automatic. You have to operate it and be aware of what you're doing. But it doesn't leak, get Alzheimer's, or go bump in the night. Hopefully, Lippert acquiring the rights to it has not turned it into junk.

Sure, I'll give you a hand. I'll PM my phone number to you.

truknutt

Committed Member
The only issue I have with this system is that you haven't installed it on my Cyclone, YET!!!

Well I have to retract this statement. Mr. Jim was nice enough to install my kit this past Sunday. It seemed to only take him 6 or so hours. I, of course, was very helpful; I fetched his Diet Pepsi, I fetched his tools & most importantly stayed out of his way!

This weekend I'll reinstall the basement wall I had to tear out (to get to the front landing gear) and relocate the Lippert spare tire/storage container hanger.

Thanks again, Jim.