Repairing the slides on my Bighorn.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am at Pipe creek Texas getting my living room slides repaired. Over the years I have had a leak
that is rotting out the edges of the big slide. Tried to stop it but didn't get it done. A friend
helped me work on the front edge of the big slide last year or so and I worked on the rear of the
big slide the end of last year. Neither was very successful.

I read an add in the Buckhorn RV Campground brochure about Texas Custom Coach. I also talked with
a friend that had work done there on his Teton 5th wheel and he was very satisfied of the work
they did.

On the way to Rockport we went down Hwy 16 to Pipe Creek and stopped in at Texas Custom Coach to
meet them and see what they thought about repairing the big slide. They gave me an estimate and we
made an appointment for me to come back. We came here on March 18th. As they started to clean up
the rotting wood it became clear that it was a very good deal to be here to get the work done.
I try to let others know what I have had done to my 5er so if they have a similar problem they
could look into how it was done and do it them selfs or get someone else to do it with enought
knowledge of what has been done before.

So here is what I am having done

This is the bottom of my big slide at the front edge.
They are just getting started and raised the slide up with this jack.
You can see the plastic coming off the bottom.. This is the strip that
Heartland put on the bottom to prevent chipping.
DSC_0128.JPG

This is the back of the big slide before they started.
DSC_0131.JPG

Another view if the front of the big slide
before repairs.
DSC_0154.JPG

This is the front of the big slide after repairs have been made
DSC_0158.JPG

Front edge of big slide by entry door after repair has been made
DSC_0159.JPG

This is the bracket being used.
It is 1/8" aluminum that is bent with a
special bending machine
DSC_0163.JPG

This is where the bracket comes up on the inside.
It comes up under the black wood of the slide floor.
DSC_0167M.jpg

There is a piece of aluminum under the carpet at the corner shown above
that is attached to the black wood floor above.
The aluminum keeps the carpet up but the screws in the aluminum
go to far and come out the bottom and are scaring the plastic skid
shown in the next photo
DSC_0151.JPG

As you can see the marking on the plastic glide.
It is scared by the points of the 2 screws that the
aluminum plate is secured with to hold up the carpet.
DSC_0153.JPG

This should cover the over all repair of the slide. The small living room slide is being done the same way but does not have the rotting of the wood. To keep that from happening is why I am having the extra work done as preventive maintenance.

I will make additional posts if anyone is interested but this is about the entire process.

This is Texas Custom Coach.
DSC_0137.jpg

I hope this is helpful to anyone else needing to make this type of repairs..

BC

Last edited:

circusbear

Thanks for sharing. There are a great deal of us that have some sort of damage due to Heartlands poor sealant idea on earlier trailers. Could you give us a rough idea of how much this cost you? I have a RV tech friend that said around $4000 to remove my large slide and replace the entire floor. Of course, we can do it a bit cheaper by doing most of the work myself and using his shop for the removal and re-assemble. Looks like they did a real pro job on your unit!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for sharing. There are a great deal of us that have some sort of damage due to Heartlands poor sealant idea on earlier trailers. Could you give us a rough idea of how much this cost you? I have a RV tech friend that said around $4000 to remove my large slide and replace the entire floor. Of course, we can do it a bit cheaper by doing most of the work myself and using his shop for the removal and re-assemble. Looks like they did a real pro job on your unit!!

Well the majority of the cost is labor and they charge $65/hr. It took three days. 2 days on the big slide and one on the small one. 24hrs +- @ $65 = $1560 + the cost of the 1/8" aluminum sheet metal. If your problem is like mine you do not have to remove the slide. They didn't here. They said if the slide was removed it could cost in the neighborhood of $10k. So if you have the problem fix it now... I was lucky. The good Lord moved me to this place before I had damage that would be more than I could afford or have a problem with the slide.

My slides move in very well now. Also I found out I need to use the slide lubercant more often than I have been. If you can bend aluminum and cut it you could do the job by just jacking the slide up about an inch or so to get the aluminum under the floor where it enters the room. The rest is just caulking (they used Sikaflex 212. It is a sealant and adheasive) then put screws in the side and on the bottom. All the screw holes are counter sunk.

This is the reason I posted the repair. If you have a place to do it and the tools, it is pretty easy to do. One guy did all the work. Good jack, aluminum, screws, caulk and a way to bend the aluminum should cover everything you need.

FWIW
BC

ParkIt

While ours is newer that would be a great way to save the overall life of the slides. I'll look for someone in our area that might be able to do this for us, it would be money well spent.

Thanks for the pictures and post :)