Replaced Penguin I with Brisk II - review

evolvingpowercat

I replaced the 11,000 BTU Penguin I with a 13,500 BTU Brisk II on my 2011 Heartland Edge a few weeks ago. I was able to sell the Penguin I for $ 300 so my net cost of the DIY upgrade was under $ 400. Both were non-ducted and I use the standard Dometic Air Box with both. Both were installed per Dometic instruction manuals.

The only change was that both Dometic instruction manuals required that the roof opening be wood framed and Heartland did not do this on the original installation of the Penguin I they just cut a square hole in the roof center that was un-framed on all 4 sides. I wood framed it per Dometic's instructions after removing the Penguin I and replacing it with the Brisk II.

The Brisk II is advertised as being quieter than the former Dometic AC products. There is little difference. I measured my Penguin I with a sound pressure level meter and have measured the Brisk II with a sound pressure level meter and they are within 2 dB of each other on the lowest speed on either.

The Brisk II has 3 speeds where the Penguin I had 2 speeds, the Brisk II does not cycle the fan on and off, only the compressor cycles on and off. The Penguin shut off both the fan and compressor. I think this is better when it is so hot you have to run the AC at night, on the Penguin I the jump in noise when it would start after being off would wake me up. The noise on the Brisk II is constant all night long so once you get to sleep its fine.

The Brisk II was 3" higher than the Penguin, increasing the overall height of my RV that amount. The Brisk II lowered my roof weight by about 20 pounds vs. the Penguin I, due to new lighter design. The Brisk II has a vertical mounted compressor where the Penguin I had a horizontal mounted compressor which is the primary reason for the height difference.

While the Sound Pressure levels are the same, the Brisk II seems to be a "better" noise that is easier to hear the TV over and sleep over, it does not seem to transmit compressor noise thru the roof of the Edge as much as the Penguin I did.

The 13.5 K BTU Brisk II does a better job of cooling down my Edge when arriving in the afternoon after towing and having to cool down a warm camper, which I think is just due to the slightly higher BTU rating. The Penguin I would freeze up occasionally so far I have not had that problem with the Brisk II.

The starting current seems to be the same for both. My Yamaha 2400iSHC generator starts the Brisk II with no issues. I also had no issues with the same generator starting the Penguin I.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The fact that your Penguin wasn't framed has me wondering. That could account for some of the vibration in the 2nd A/C in the bedroom.
Trace

Theresau

Our vibrating went away when Dometic replaced the AC with the Brisk II. I found a thread about the Dometic Brisk Air AC - in 2010, the refrigerant was changed but the compressor was not and per this thread this led to more vibration. Whereas the Brisk II's compressor is made for the new refrigerant.

The fact that your Penguin wasn't framed has me wondering. That could account for some of the vibration in the 2nd A/C in the bedroom.
Trace

evolvingpowercat

> The fact the Penguin was not framed on the Edge has me wondering...

The Edge has a thin curved roof made up of plywood top and botton sheets with 1.5" Styrofoam glue laminated between them and with edge joists and aluminum cross joists every couple of feet. Its all glued together. Heartland has posted pictures with 8 people standing at once on roofs built like this.

The AC was non ducted so there don't seem to be any duct voids in the roof to weaken it. Even though the opening was not framed, the roof at the opening did not seem to be compressed much, only about 1/16", so I don't think Heartland's choice not to frame it really hurt anything.

The roof is totally different on the larger RVs like Bighorn so I suspect the observation with AC opening not framed on 2011 Edge does not apply. Also the framing would have to have openings for the duct system so it would be different in that way as well.