Replacing window glass

hcriddle

I had a window get broken from a rock or something while I was away from the rv. I contacted Heartland to get a replacement and they do not sell the glass but will only replace the whole window. I just have a bottom piece of glass that is broken. Could a glass company replace this? I hate to buy the whole window just to fix the smallest piece of glass in the window.

brianharrison

I have replaced portions of windows in previous units - the hardest part is getting the window out, specifically getting the outside flange butyl tape (between the flange and the side of the trailer) to let go. A plastic drywall mud blade and strong fingers works best for me.

For flanged windows, there are screws on the inside flange of the window to remove, then with the help of the wife I worked from the outside while she applied pressure on the frame on the inside pushing the window out.

The glass company will disassemble the window, measure for the new glass and can insert a temporary lexan pane while the new glass is sent out for tempering (required). The temporary lexan allows you to re-insert the window while the new pane is being tempered.

I used new butyl tape on the final install with the new tempered glass pane in place.

Hope this helps,
Brian

esbeasley

ON my 2014 Bighorn, the glass company and dealer both said you have to replace the entire window if they are the surface mount glass. It takes about 3 weeks to get a new one from the window company - they build to order, don't keep any on hand. On older model windows it is what brianharrison said: I had 2 broken out on my older trailer and had to go that route.

ParkIt

ON my 2014 Bighorn, the glass company and dealer both said you have to replace the entire window if they are the surface mount glass. It takes about 3 weeks to get a new one from the window company - they build to order, don't keep any on hand. On older model windows it is what brianharrison said: I had 2 broken out on my older trailer and had to go that route.
Wow. Now I don't want surface mount windows...had no idea it would take that long and build to order. Also means it's probably more expensive.