Roadwarrior 395 & Dodge Ram 2500 (6.7L)

BruteForce

Just came back from a local RV dealer, signed a promissory note (haven't taken possession or finalized credit) on a Roadwarrior 395 5th wheel toy hauler.

Asked the dealer if my 2008 Ram 2500 would be able to tow this rig without rear air bags or suspension mods -- they said "NO, don't do anything besides the three axle braking system and 5th wheel hitch setup".

Got home, compared GCVWR specs between the Roadwarrior 395 and my truck, and it would appear as though I'd be well over 5000 pounds beyond GCVWR.

Feedback/comments appreciated. We are scheduled to wrap-up purchase in one week, but this weight issue is concerning me. I have no doubt the motor on my truck and handle it, but the weight worries me.

jimtoo

Hi bruteforce,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information, and they are all willing to help.

I was just looking at the specs on the 395 and I think you will be way overloaded when you get all your things in and ready to go camping. Just empty your looking at 3000# pin weight. You would probably need airbags or helper springs and you could pull it, but what about stopping? The trailers have brakes, but in my opinion they need to come up with a better system. I would have a talk with the salesman.

Don't get me wrong, we want you as a Heartland Owner and member of our family, but we want you and your family to be safe also.

Jim M

2010augusta

You would be WAY WAY over weight. I would hesitate pulling that with our F-450 if it was loaded. I know a lot of people on the forum are pulling the big Cyclone and such with semis. A 18,000# trailer will take a big truck to control going down a hill, and 4 tires might not do it. I have said it before and will say it again: When buying a trailer you are best off finding your dream unit and then buy a truck that can SAFELY tow it, even if it means you have to get rid of a good truck. I had to sell my ol' F-350 when we bought the Landmark, because I knew it would not be safe with out a dually.

BruteForce

You would be WAY WAY over weight. I would hesitate pulling that with our F-450 if it was loaded. I know a lot of people on the forum are pulling the big Cyclone and such with semis. A 18,000# trailer will take a big truck to control going down a hill, and 4 tires might not do it. I have said it before and will say it again: When buying a trailer you are best off finding your dream unit and then buy a truck that can SAFELY tow it, even if it means you have to get rid of a good truck. I had to sell my ol' F-350 when we bought the Landmark, because I knew it would not be safe with out a dually.

Based on feedback received (between here and CumminsForums.com), the consensus seems to be that if I had air bags, I could tow this rig. I just don't like the way the numbers are adding up. Seems unsafe at this point (even with air bags and a three axle braking system installed on the truck).

The Roadwarrior 305 is not even close to what we want/need.. Looks like we may have to back out of this one unless Dodge or some other authority tells me otherwise (regarding towing capacity).

Drew

If you find some other authority that tells you other wise, they are wrong. I have a BH 3600RL thats over 16,000lbs and tow it with a Dually and feel i'm at close to my limit. I'm about to put some 19.5 wheels and load range G tires on my truck. The guys on the Cummins forums pull some sick loads that are way over weight. Have you ever pulled that much weight?

Riverman

Will it pull it - Yes...its a cummins. Will it be safe to load up that trailer & pull with that small of a truck - I think not.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Cummins will probably pull a Cruise ship but how are you going to stop it?

BruteForce

Spoke to Heartland and my local dealer today - both are stating that I can tow this rig with my Ram 2500.

My 4x4 repair shop (they themselves tow heavy rigs) is stating that at minimum, I should get something in writing that says if I have issues within a few days, they'll agree to take it back.

I'm in a position now where I think after I have my 5wheel hitch installed, I should be able to tow around the dealers lot (to see how badly (if at all) it makes my truck squat), and if manageable be able to take it home a few days to evaluate safety.

The dealership is 25 miles from home along freeway. I would think that would be telling in itself.

Thus far, I've received mixed responses (here and on cumminsforum.com). Most saying I can tow it without concern and the rest stating that I'd be way over spec. for my truck. Interesting thing is that Dodge's website doesnt show ANY of their trucks having the ability to tow this rig.

Specs (based on Dodge -v- Heartland) clearly read me being 7000 pounds over GCVRW, but the only rig that even comes close with Dodge is their 3500 Cab & Chassis model.

Last edited:

irvin56

Walk away or buy BIGGER truck

If your concerned now, wait till you load that puppy with everything and have to stop in a hurry.

It's not worth the hassle, as soon as the papers are signed and you leave the lot. It's yours.
Nowadays dealers don't care as long as they get there money.
AND also insurance companies can back out of claims if your are found overloaded.

I know this as a friend of my buddy has a big loss on his hand for trailer and truck damage. he was overweight and missed a corner, could not stop and ran into a house. 5th wheel trailer with bob cat and other equipment on, and only a 1/2 ton truck

insurance said no way as he was weighted at scale(portable) and was over.

IT's not worth it, for saftey and your family.

2010augusta

Brute, I was told by the salesman at my dodge dealership to go get a Ford when I told them what the weight of the trailer I wanted to pull was, as they had NOTHING that was listed to haul a 16,500# trailer much less a fullly loaded 18,000# toyhauler. They said go go to Ford and I did. I love the Cummins, but until Ford puts one in the F-sieres I won't have one. In my opinoin no amount of "up-grades" can make up for a properly engineered frame, suspension, and axles. Air bags will stop the sagging, but do not increase the amount of weight the frame and axles are designed to handle. A dually gives a great deal more stabillity than a single rear wheel. The cummings will move the trailer with very little issue, as my dad's Class-A's uses the 12 valve 5.9 and weighs about 28,000# to 30,000# depending on the "toad" behind it, but it has 5" or 6" wide air brakes on 19.5 or 20.5 wheels. Do more research and make sure you keep your family's safety in mind.

lwmcguir

If you want to be legal you are looking at a F450-F550-F650 or GM/Dodge equivalent. You wont be able to load the trailer and stay within a 3/4 ton legal towing limit. No doubt you can pull it and if the trailer brakes work stop it. Pin weight is to heavy loaded for E rated tires. The axles/springs/suspension is to light to put on G rated tires/wheels. Good luck shopping for a F450 or larger.

BruteForce

Thank you everyone for your feedback. At this time, we're going to hold on purchasing the Roadwarrior 395 and upgrade my truck to something more sturdy.

We'll be back as new owners once I trade-in the truck for something heftier.

We purchased this Ram in May (of this year) for the sole purpose of hauling an RV/Toyhauler (5th wheel).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Brute, I was told by the salesman at my dodge dealership to go get a Ford when I told them what the weight of the trailer I wanted to pull was, as they had NOTHING that was listed to haul a 16,500# trailer much less a fullly loaded 18,000# toyhauler. They said go go to Ford and I did. I love the Cummins, but until Ford puts one in the F-sieres I won't have one. In my opinoin no amount of "up-grades" can make up for a properly engineered frame, suspension, and axles. Air bags will stop the sagging, but do not increase the amount of weight the frame and axles are designed to handle. A dually gives a great deal more stabillity than a single rear wheel. The cummings will move the trailer with very little issue, as my dad's Class-A's uses the 12 valve 5.9 and weighs about 28,000# to 30,000# depending on the "toad" behind it, but it has 5" or 6" wide air brakes on 19.5 or 20.5 wheels. Do more research and make sure you keep your family's safety in mind.

I believe the F650 Supercruzer has a Cummings engine. My buddy had one. About 85K dollars. But it will pull anything.