Roof Separation Issue

warren032

I am a new 2007 3655RD BigHorn owner and just noticed the following roof separation on the right front of the roof. Somehow it must have got damaged. Any suggestions to fix it? I hate to drill a new hole in the top of the lip to anchor it to the body.

IMG_8578.jpgIMG_8579.jpg

Warren

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That plastic trim will pull off exposing a metal strip.
So, you can pull the plastic strip and add more screws. But......it looks like the wood is rotted so that might be a problem. The soft rotted allowed the current screws to pull loose.
It also looks like the previous owner did not maintain the caulk.
Let us know how your repair comes out.

Peace
Dave

ac7nj

So, you can pull the plastic strip and add more screws. But......it looks like the wood is rotted so that might be a problem. The soft rotted allowed the current screws to pull loose.

Peace
Dave
On boats I’ve used penetrating epoxy to repair wood rot if the problem ia not too extensive this could be a viable alternative to replacing the sides and roof structure

Randy ac7nj@arrl.net
971-241-4119
Feel free to contact me if you need more information

warren032

Thank you Dave. I will post an update after fixing it.

Peace
Dave

SNOKING

Use Dicor lap sealant in the gap and then finish off the repair with Dicor self leveling sealant if you can get it screw down.

Chris

warren032

Update on the repair: I was able to screw down the aluminum channel into the roof by drilling about 20 new holes where there were only about 5 holes originally. I used slightly bigger screws and they bit into the roof and are holding nicely. Thank you everyone for your help!