Running the Genny at night!!!!

szewczyk_john

yep on property behind the track. They have like 7 different lots. some have family hours with quiet times of 10:00- 6, others at 11-6, and lot x is the party zone with no quiet hours. Years ago they enforced the rules but they have slacked off a lot. When you get there you to your assigned lot and are parked according to the length of your unit. I always used the F lot and got there by Monday so we ended up closer to the track. After buying our current unit the wife talked me into the oversize parking in lot 5. You would not believe how much a difference those extra feet make. The bad think about NHIS is the lots are pretty flat but the drainage sucks. If the have yet weather you can get stuck in a low point you will have water for a longer time. If you ever get there and your early and the try to park you in a low spot tell them that you are waiting for a buddy or that you do not want to be in the low point. They will allow you to let the area fill up and then get back into line. The have honey suckers, ice and water trucks driving thru the lots all week. But there is water on the property (in at least 2 locations that I know of) and free showers. They do get packed at certain times. Take your bike, some beautiful country up there. We used the track as our base camp and took day trips to the White Mountains, Laconia Lake Area(bike week is the week before the July race), Rye Beach and there is so much more. Any where north of the track on 93 and you get into some really nice mountains, streams and lakes.

Bohemian

Here's the rub on the Gen-Turi

If the vertical pipe actually has a draft great enough to move all the exhaust gas without causing back pressure, then the leak at the bottom is totally unnecessary.

whp4262

Mount another CO detector in the bedroom and get a Genturi exhaust. The Genturi works pretty well. Only time I've noticed exhaust was with a wind from the the exhaust side of the trailer that was blowing it back under the rig. The Genturi fixes that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisJen

We camp with a couple that has a Fuzion 399 and they've had their CO detector go off almost every night that they've run their Onan 5500. I'm not sure if the exhaust isn't properly routed or what but I wouldn't want to chance it.
Quick side question: Our CO detector is mounted on the ceiling above the kitchen island (literally the highest point in the trailer). Is this the correct place to have it? I was under the impression that CO was heavier than air so therefore the detector should be closer to the floor?

Seren

We have a "bird in a cage", if the bird dies then it is time to turn off the generator. We usually have to buy 2-3 birds each year. Seriously, millions of Koreans, Japanese and Chinese burn kerosene heaters in their homes during the winter, they just make sure they open a couple of windows about a inch when using them. We open our kitchen window slightly when we cook on the stove since burning propane obviously creates CO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seren

Quick side question: Our CO detector is mounted on the ceiling above the kitchen island (literally the highest point in the trailer). Is this the correct place to have it? I was under the impression that CO was heavier than air so therefore the detector should be closer to the floor?

I am pretty sure that is the smoke detector since we have one in the kitchen/hallway area in our Landmark. Our CO detector is next to the theater seating near the bottom of the slide wall. At night with the lights off you can see a green LED light on it indicating it is on and working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jbeletti

Duane and other FFs can put a finer point on this based on their training and experience, but here's a link to a resource with some good CO tips.

It seems that CO has a specific gravity nearly the same as air, so high placement versus low placement doesn't seem to be a huge factor. But proximity to high humidity areas and cooking appliances seems to be a no-no.

If I ran a genny while we were sleeping, I'd add an additional CO detector on the front closet wall. We'd surely here it there and it's closer to any area the genny exhaust may creep into the bedroom.

szewczyk_john

I know that it is on your list to get a rep there, and now Duane and I are starting a list of things to ask. As I stated before. it was not until I walked around at the Urbanna rally did I realize that so many of the bigger Heartland fivers not have the generator. I just assumed that most purchased that option. I saw so many members using that front area for the additional storage. But I think that an Onan rep will get a lot of attention and questions from those of us that have a generator in our unit.

jbeletti

John,

Yes, it's a very small percentage of non-toyhauler 5th wheels that get ordered with the generator.

Sometime in May, I'd like to get your and Duane's list of questions for Onan as I'd like to get the list to them in advance so they can come prepared with answers. That will make for a more effective session :)

porthole

Retired
Here's the rub on the Gen-Turi

If the vertical pipe actually has a draft great enough to move all the exhaust gas without causing back pressure, then the leak at the bottom is totally unnecessary.

It is more then just that. The air entrained into the stream cools the exhaust to keep the PVC pipe cool.

The genny exhaust straight into a PVC pipe would melt the pipe

Bohemian

Gen-Turi

Yes, PVC would need to be cooled.

Cooling will reduce the heat in the pipe and reduce the chimney effect and efficiency. Make the system NOT move the gasses up the pipe as effectively as if it was heated. That is increase the back pressure and make the leak more necessary.

Heat proof pipe, metal or ceramic, of the same inner diameter would be more effective, have less back pressure, and not require the leak if effective enough. Plastic pipe will be less effective, and obviously require the huge leak.

Jim.Allison

Both Heartland and Onan warn against sleeping with the generator running in their owners manual. I don't believe that you will get anyones stamp of approval on that issue.

The beauty of the genturi design is that the openings at the bottom allow for a draft that that is developed hot gasses as well as combine the exhaust with atmospheric air, ultimately the exhaust is diluted by the time it exits the genturi pipe. A common fireplace develops a draft because of of the heat and exhaust being allowed to migrate up the chimney but every one knows that a fireplace will not draft when a house is sealed up. The velocity of the draft allowed by the inclusion of the atmosphere, is what relieves the back pressure from the longer pipe.

As far as density of gas is concerned CO is slightly less dense than the atmosphere at the same temperature and pressure, But since it is warmer than the surrounding air it tends to rise where is safely dispersed in the atmosphere.

Once again, its a math game, the troublesome poisonous gas is accumulative in the human body, it is retained by the body and accumulates there, it takes 5 hours for CO to exit the body in fresh air. Meaning I find you dazed by CO it will take 5 hours breathing fresh air to get the last molecule you breathed in, to exit your body. All the time that CO is globbed on to your blood cells those blood cells cannot process O2. This is why it is so dangerous.

Bohemian

Gen-Turi

Still, no independent anybody who says it actually either works or is safe. Many reasons to doubt. Gen manufacturers do not support use. Many ways to spend money on these kind of things.

Potential CO poisoning hazard. Though, I think this one has enough leaks that it is probably safe

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Gen-Turi

Still, no independent anybody who says it actually either works or is safe. Many reasons to doubt. Gen manufacturers do not support use. Many ways to spend money on these kind of things.

Potential CO poisoning hazard. Though, I think this one has enough leaks that it is probably safe
Since the Genturi is marketed by Camco, arguably the largest aftermarket RV supplier, I'm sure they (and their lawyers) have a huge amount of confidence in the functionality of their product.
Simple physics explains how it works and I have a whole lot of confidence in physics.

porthole

Retired
Gen-Turi

Well I suppose you have made your point. You are convinced it is all smoke and mirrors and there are few here that are convinced it is an effective tool for the RV lifestyle.

And that is why we have chocolate and vanilla - choices.

Although - vanilla is a better choice.

whp4262

Well I suppose you have made your point. You are convinced it is all smoke and mirrors and there are few here that are convinced it is an effective tool for the RV lifestyle.

And that is why we have chocolate and vanilla - choices.

Although - vanilla is a better choice.

I disagree, chocolate is much better then vanilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

It is obvious that the Gen-Turi principle is sound. How well it works is another question, I don't own one. But I cannot see why it would not work for its intended purpose. If the guy that came up with that idea worked for me, I would say "cool lets see if it works."

But what is important is that everyone agrees that CO is dangerous and steps must be taken to protect yourself from it. That is important.

As a young man I became a pilot, back then you had to study every little thing from the beginning of aviation. Small private airplanes use the exhaust pipe for cabin heat. The system would sometimes fail and allow small amounts of CO into the cockpit. Planes crashed because of it. I fear the CO because it takes so little of it to get you, an you can never tell where it comes from. Its not the exhaust that comes out of the end of the pipe that I worried about, it is the exhaust that comes from manifold leaks and the like. Then again we have CO detectors that are virtually perfect and 100% reliable, I would think that a second CO detector cold make it failsafe. The odds of two failing have to be astronomical.

Right now I'm neutral on the issue, but I cannot say that I would sleep in my rig with the generator running without thinking real hard about it.

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

Well since we have basically agreed to disagree allow me to state that when you show up at a race or any other place where your unit is in tight spaces you will welcome the neighbor that breaks out one of these devices or you will be forced to go inside your unit and close the doors and windows on the door side when your neighbor decides to run their generator. It doesn't matter if it is overnight or during the day.

There are two things that everyone at the race track hates to see. A loud lawn mower sounding generator and/or a neighbor not exhausting generator exhaust over the roof line.