Running the Genny at night!!!!

Boostable

Sitting in a parking lot with about 100 other RV's for the opening of college football today. Everyone is required to run a smoke stack here and everyone is. I will do a head count to make sure everyone is ok, but I'm pretty sure these things work as advertised.. :D

hoefler

Another thing to consider when using the Genturi, the stack draws in air and dilutes the exhaust and gets that exhaust above the roof line where there usually is a breeze to disperse it.

porthole

Retired
That would be a good place for the NFPA, IFGC, UL, CR, BOCA, RVIA etc types to show up and a test. A couple of PHD's as well.

Bohemian

It is obvious that the Gen-Turi principle is sound. How well it works is another question, I don't own one. But I cannot see why it would not work for its intended purpose. If the guy that came up with that idea worked for me, I would say "cool lets see if it works."

But what is important is that everyone agrees that CO is dangerous and steps must be taken to protect yourself from it. That is important.

As a young man I became a pilot, back then you had to study every little thing from the beginning of aviation. Small private airplanes use the exhaust pipe for cabin heat. The system would sometimes fail and allow small amounts of CO into the cockpit. Planes crashed because of it. I fear the CO because it takes so little of it to get you, an you can never tell where it comes from. Its not the exhaust that comes out of the end of the pipe that I worried about, it is the exhaust that comes from manifold leaks and the like. Then again we have CO detectors that are virtually perfect and 100% reliable, I would think that a second CO detector cold make it failsafe. The odds of two failing have to be astronomical.

Right now I'm neutral on the issue, but I cannot say that I would sleep in my rig with the generator running without thinking real hard about it.

Not at all. Just more unsupported rhetoric to end discussion. BTW you have a PhD in physical science posting here, me. Also an MBA. o I know what I am talking about in the physics world, the engineering world, and the business world. I know ho much untested ideas can and most often screw up. I don't think a company like CAMCO Manufacturing has the capability to design, engineer, test and certify a proper exhaust system. If they did it WOULD be certified by a already existing proper agency.

Still your are right. It might work. Positive accidents do occasionally happen, and so do the bad accidents occasionally. Especially with off the cuff designs that the manufacturer decided to not have certified by the proper already existing agencies of which they should already be well aware.

porthole

Retired
Some really really really smart people designed the things that take us into space. But, they have not been infallible in designing and "engineering" things I can't even comprehend. 17 sets of acronyms after a name still does not make any guarantees.

Although there is no testing to prove whether a Gen-Turi works or not - one is certain - Corvairs and Volkswagens were tested by experts - and they still leaked exhaust into the passenger compartments.
I'll skip the "engineering" that went into the original Corvair suspension .......

danemayer

Seems like a lot of debating about things unknown.

Maybe one of you guys could contact the manufacturer and/or original designers of the device and ask them what testing or certification has been done. Then report back.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As I said earlier, I have used the Gen Turi style stack that I made without any problems. I feel it is a vast improvement over allowing the exhaust to vent under the rig.
With that said, I spend most of my time in some of the warmest climates is the country. Many times in summer, it barely goes under 85 degrees at night.( If I know in advance that it will be very warm, I usually won't boondock if I have a choice.)
Yet, I do not run the generator at night. I'm not saying I wouldn't in a dire situation, I just don't recall ever having done it.
If we are boondocking and it's warm at night we run the AC before bed to cool it down, then shut down the A/C and generator. Then we open the windows and turn on a couple of 12v fans along with the Fantastics. It usually is fine for sleeping.
So, what I'm wondering is, for most folks, why would it be necessary to run the generator while sleeping?
If you have something other than A/C, such as a CPAP that requires AC power, I would use an inverter. Much cleaner and quieter IMHO. Trace

Last edited:

Boostable

Running the gen at night? Simple answer for me.. August in Florida, 96+ and heat index above 105, humidity about 85%... Ooo and most importantly four daughters and a wife.. Windows open and fan blowing isn't gonna cut it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Running the gen at night? Simple answer for me.. August in Florida, 96+ and heat index above 105, humidity about 85%... Ooo and most importantly four daughters and a wife.. Windows open and fan blowing isn't gonna cut it.
I've tent camped in conditions about like that. Your right, the humidity makes it a bit of a struggle.
I would suggest that you need to be in a campground with power for the comfort of your family at that time of year.
In the dead of summer when I know the temps are that warm, I normally don't hit the road [planning] to dry camp. Sometimes it is necessary for a stopover or overflow camping.
I have found boondocking (by choice) in warmer climates is normally an October thru April activity. Travel safe. Trace

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

Not at all. Just more unsupported rhetoric to end discussion. BTW you have a PhD in physical science posting here, me. Also an MBA. o I know what I am talking about in the physics world, the engineering world, and the business world.

Im curious; are you bragging or complaining? Quit stalking me from one thread to another. I will not be bullied by you.

As far as education is concerned...........ROFLMAO........Bragging about your education is a way to give yourself credibility when your knowledge does not precede you.

szewczyk_john

2014 first week of April - Martinsville VA each night it got down into the 20 degree range. Ran generator for the warmth and to protect the water lines from freezing up. I was very concerned about having bursting lines but a few trouble lights placed properly and a space heater prevented that from happening. I do run 2 6 volt batteries but as cold as it got, I was worried that the furnace running all night would kill batteries.

One last word to Bohemian - A whole bunch of book smart people claim that the tow master tire is a well engineered road worthy tire. However, a bunch of mechanically inclined, street smart owners know better and have taken these P.O.S. tires off of our rigs. to each their own, but I'll stick with the street smarts that have served me well so far.

Boostable

I've tent camped in conditions about like that. Your right, the humidity makes it a bit of a struggle.
I would suggest that you need to be in a campground with power for the comfort of your family at that time of year.
In the dead of summer when I know the temps are that warm, I normally don't hit the road [planning] to dry camp. Sometimes it is necessary for a stopover or overflow camping.
I have found boondocking (by choice) in warmer climates is normally an October thru April activity. Travel safe. Trace

Agree 100% and try to go full hookup when it's hot. However this weekend is a good example of when we don't have a choice. Staying on the university campus they only offer the spot, but no hookups. Being close is great!!! Having to run the gen all weekend, not so much. On another note, glad I put fuel in the aux tank or we would of never made it!

Blue Oval

Were you at the gator game?

Boostable:381515 said:

Agree 100% and try to go full hookup when it's hot. However this weekend is a good example of when we don't have a choice. Staying on the university campus they only offer the spot, but no hookups. Being close is great!!! Having to run the gen all weekend, not so much. On another note, glad I put fuel in the aux tank or we would of never made it!

Bohemian

RV Generator Exhaust Extension Kits

Cummins Onan Statement Regarding Exhaust Extensions

RV Generator Exhaust Extension Kits do not meet reasonable standards for safely

Cummins Power Generation, manufacturer of Cummins Onan generator products, does not endorse the use of RV generator exhaust pipe extensions. Like all fuel burning devices, engine-driven generators emit carbon monoxide (CO) which, if not safely handled, can produce serious injury or death. Cummins Onan generators, in conjunction with RV OEM installed tailpipes, are designed to meet RVIA standards for safely handling exhaust gasses while minimizing noise and maximizing generator performance. Improper modifications to the exhaust components can result in unreasonable hazards to the vehicle occupants.
Cummins Power Generation has been unable to this date to identify any commercially available exhaust extension kit which meets reasonable standards for safely handling exhaust gases.
Cummins Power Generation’s concerns revolve around 6 areas:

1. Weight: Unless entirely self supporting, extensions add weight to the end of the generator tail pipe which can stress and crack or break the exhaust system parts that are not designed to carry the additional weight. This could result in exhaust gases escaping directly under the coach, and therefore could be extremely
    dangerous to vehicle occupants.
  2. Fit: To be effective conveyors of exhaust, connections & joints must be gas-tight. Such connections are not guaranteed unless the exhaust extension kit is properly assembled each time it is used.
  3. Exhaust Direction: Because exhaust extensions vent at the roof line, there is a major concern that exhaust will be sucked in by rooftop air conditioners, vents and windows.
  4. Heat: Many extension designs involve exposed metal that can be a burn hazard to anyone passing by who might contact the exposed extension pipe.
  5. Back pressure: Adding an extension may increase back pressure on the engine, and thereby reduce engine performance or cause the engine to fail meeting government-regulated exhaust standards.
  6. Warranty: The use of an exhaust extension kit may void the Cummins Onan warranty.
  1. http://www.funroads.com/rv-repair/generators/exhaustextensions/

porthole

Retired
I got to speak at length with someone far more familiar with both the genny's in question and the Gen-Turi and with sufficient initials after has name and plenty of experience.

As far as the "Gen-Turi" brand "up-lifter" goes - I will continue to use it and feel comfortable in using it, it does what it is designed to do.
All the boilerplate above is legalese.

Jim.Allison

Ditto: in today's litigious society no-one is going to publish anything concerning someone elses product and carbon monoxide. And its only natural for Cummins to cover themselves.