RV's For Less - closed thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisZ

Wes
I bought my BH 3055RL from Lakeshore, let me assure you, they do not strip down their units to lower the price. if anything, they have extras. They were very good to deal with, but they are 2200 miles away for service, so I knew I'd be on my own. So far, I haven't needed anything major, the couple of little things I needed they have taken care of.
Good luck on your purchase.

highrail

Lakeshore or RV for less.

I checked with both dealers before I purchased from Lakeshore RV. I don't beleive you can go wrong with either dealer. RVs for less does order there coachs with Gel coats, dual glass windows and give a extened warranty all which add up to about $5,000. Lakeshore was $10,000 cheaper without the above extras. I paid $37,559. for my 3400Rl before a couple of options and taxes and for that price Lakeshore furnished and installed my hitch. Since I don't plan to to become a full timerer I didn't think I would need them. I too have thought about service from other dealers but there isn't a bighorn dealer within 275 miles of my home anyway( Nashville, TN area).
Only problem I have had was my disagreement with the factory about tires. Until all the RV manufactures quit putting cheap Chinese tires on there coachs we will have to bite the bullet and replace them ourselves, my peace of mind is worth $1200. If you live within a hundred miles of Knoxville buy from RVs for less, within a hundred miles of Muskegon go with Lakeshore. Everywhere else its a toss up.
Want a personal anwser send me your phone number.

DennisZ and highrail,

Thank you both for your post, I had an Idea the local dealer was full of it about lakeshore. I haven’t pushed the dealer for price yet, I do not plan to purchase until Jan or Feb. That sure would make for an interesting trip to Michigan. *L* I will go in and see what the local dealers will do for me and make a decision at that time. I actually have two dealers close, one in Tulsa about 65 miles away and one in Chetopa, KS about 90 miles away. Big difference from 8 to 9 hours for RVS For Less and about 18 or so hours from Lakeshore. Thanks again, you have both helped me greatly!!!

Thanks,
Wes
:)

J

jjjelm

Hello there Williams family....something to consider...we ordered our BH 3055RL from Lakeshore in early April this year and it was delivered in June. You may be able to work around that winter weather by ordering just a little later than Jan. or Feb. We were VERY happy with both the service & price from Lakeshore! Wonderful Wyoming

jjjelm,
That’s true, I didn’t think about the ordering lead time. Are you having the issues with finding a dealer to do warranty repairs in Wyoming? I think highrail has a strong point. I’m not a hundred miles from either RVS For Less or Lakeshore. So, it is a tossup where I buy!!! Thanks for the help and you do live in a beautiful part of the country.

Thank you,
Wes

J

jjjelm

Well Williams family here is how we figure it on BH dealer work....we are 3/4 timers so chances are we could be anyplace when we have a problem. So we'll just have to depend on hopefully not too many problems and finding a dealer that will do the work for us. We went the 1200 miles to Lakshore for the price but ended up having a GREAT experience. Wonderful Wyoming

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I have to put my two cents in here. If the dealer says he will not service the unit if you buy from another dealer, than would you trust him in the first place. I would also call the factory and see what they have to say about this. A good dealer would service the unit no matter where it was bought, and I have had mine serviced in several places other than the dealer where I bought it.

fireflipper,
You hit the nail on the head, I didn’t get a warm and fuzzy with the local dealer and I do not know enough about the dealer to trust him. They are new to Tulsa, they have had dealerships for a long time though in OKC and Norman, Oklahoma. I feel the same way you do, a good dealer would service any coach no matter where the customer purchased it. I assuming the worst from his comments, I will just have to see how things will unfold when I go to make my purchase. Thanks for the help!!!

Thanks,
Wes

svd

Wes,
We are pleased with Lakeshore. As stated earlier, there are no stripped down versions there. We have had very little problem. When I got the unit home, I realized the crank they had provided to release the spare tire was the wrong one. I called them, and they sent the correct one in 2 or 3 days.

I also had an issue recently with a missing dust cap on one of the wheels, they also had that sent to me directly from Heartland. I would not hesitate to do business with them again. I did purchase a 7 year warranty for around $1,700 from them. Hope the info helps in your decision.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Williams Family
Try looking in Arkansas, I know I saw a Heartland dealer on I-40 just east of Oklahoma, not sure of the exit number or name. I did have a problem and stopped in at lunch time last year. As soon as the service tech returned from lunch he fixed my problem, which was the furnace ignitor, and I was on my way within thirty minutes.

fireflipper,
Are you talking about Crabtree RV in Alma, Arkansas? I be darned, I didn't see that one, it is only 74 miles from me and alot nicer drive tan going to Tulsa or Kansas. I have been on their website before looking at Jayco's and HR Savoy's, they do not list Heartland as one of their manufacturers. Heartland's Dealer locator shows they are a dealer, they must be new!!!

Thank you fireflipper,
Wes

Fordsd250

The dealer in Arkansas mentioned is in Van Buren. Outdoor Living Center I think. They also have a store in Russellville, AR. I got my 3500 BH here in North little Rock, AR. (River City RV). FYI.:)

Fordsd250,

I knew that there was a dealer near Littlerock that handled Heartland Products. I had found it doing the Dealer Search on Heartland’s site. Crabtree wasn’t in my search results for my zip code. I just did another search for my zip code and here are the results:

Dealer
City, State Country
Distance
CRABTREE RV CENTER, INC.
ALMA, AR USA
WALKER RV
TULSA, OK USA

Chetopa RV Center Inc.
Chetopa, KS USA

I guess they just picked up Heartland products within the last two weeks or so! How was your purchase experience from the dealer in North Little Rock?

Thank you,
Wes

Last edited:

Fordsd250

I feel we got a good deal here in North little rock. We traded in a Montana and was real happy with what they gave us for it. I have not been back to the dealer since Feb 06, but they fixed everything on my list. I am real pleased with the heartland folks as they respond to all of my questions and concerns in quick fashion. I have had small issues but so far everything has been taken care of. My BigHorn is out of warranty now, but I have a very good independant RV shop that is very good.
No matter what brand of RV you go for, they all have issues to work out. the Montana had issue just like the Bighorn. If you understand this going in, you won't be too disappointed. Good luck on whatever you chose.
We are headed for the Smokey mountains next week and looking forward to some cooler weather.

J

Jim_1899

I purchased our Big Horn in April of 2006 from the closest dealer thinking of service and they did give us a good price. The service has been very poor, we did get everything done but it has not been easy. Next time I am going to shop and I don't care how far I go to get the best deal since I am not getting service anyway.

skedaddle

Arkansas Bighorn Dealers (and Chetopa Kansas)

The Arkansas Bighorn Dealers are River City RV in Sherwood (which is just north of North Little Rock) and Outdoor Living Center in Van Buren. The Outdoor Living Center location in Russellville does not carry Bighorn, but they do have a couple of Landmarks. We've been to River City RV looking at the Bighorns several times and stopped at Outdoor Living Center in Van Buren once. We prefer River City, even though we are only a few miles from Outdoor Living Center's Russellville store. In fact, we will be picking up our little Bighorn in Sherwood on Friday.... (Little Bighorn -- has a familiar ring -- wasn't there a battle at the Little Bighorn? -- oh, yeah, a fellow by the name of George Armstrong Custer) Our little Bighorn is the 2925. None

The Chetopa RV Center in Kansas is a small but good dealership, as far as I could see from one visit. They only carry fifth wheels, and have both the Bighorn and the Sundance. If they were closer to us, we probably would have bought from them.

Last edited:
You have a good point Jim, you really do not know about a dealers service until after the sale. Unless you can find people who have purchased from them to find out their experience.

skedaddle, the people at Chetopa RV Center in Kansas were great to talk to and seemed to be very knowledgeable. I will probably talk to them before I purchase. I don’t think the Outdoor Living Center in Van Buren carries Sundance do they? Congrats on your “little Bighorn” Purchase.:)

Thanks,
Wes

skedaddle

Wes,

I don't remember seeing any Sundance models at Van Buren Outdoor Living Center and they do not have any in their on-line inventory now. What I recall seeing was Big Horns, Landmarks, and Heartland's Trailrunner travel Trailer, which is consistent with their current on-line inventory.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.