Salt Lake City to Vacaville then HWY1 (PCH) to San Diego

BruteForce

We've done this route plenty of times in an SUV, but I've never hauled my 5'er through this route. We'd be taking I-80 West into Vacaville (visit family), then bypass Sacramento and SF and connect to the PCH (Hwy1) all the way south to San Diego.

A few questions for those in the know:

-Is the I-80 tunnel near Carlin at least 15' tall? I tried Google street view, but the tunnel doesn't have a height sign
-Are there any low overpasses less than 15'?
-Would the PCH/HWY1 between Big Sur and San Simeon be too narrow/windy for my 43' 5'er
-Are there any large sized pull-out/pull over spots along the PCH where we could access the beach(es)?

Thanks!

wdk450

There is a 40 foot limit on California Highway 1 between the Big Sur and San Simeon areas (at least for trucks/buses).

BTW, how do you plan to bypass the Bay area? Highway 12 East from Vacaville to I-5 in Lodi, I-5 South to Hwy 33 in Santa Nella over to US 101?

I-80 comes through Sacramento on your way to Vacaville, but it is freeway all the way, and if you don't catch it right at rush hour, you should be OK.

Your beachside impulse are going to be difficult. Better to stop at a park for a day and use the truck. Ventura county has a couple of parks right on the beach. See Rincon Parkway and Hobson Beach Park here: http://www.ventura.org/gsa/parks/beach-front-parks

TXTiger

As Bill said Highway 1 between Big Sur and San Simeon has a length limit. I would use Highway 101 instead. When you get to Ventura you can take the 126 east back to I-5 and and then connect onto the 210 to I-15 south and avoid going thru LA. Or stay on I-5 south to San Diego but you will go thru LA. Also PCH 1 does not go all the way to San Diego. You will have to go back onto I-5 in Orange County, pass Camp Pendelton and then you can get back onto PCH to San Diego.

BandK

We've done this route plenty of times in an SUV, but I've never hauled my 5'er through this route. We'd be taking I-80 West into Vacaville (visit family), then bypass Sacramento and SF and connect to the PCH (Hwy1) all the way south to San Diego.

A few questions for those in the know:

-Is the I-80 tunnel near Carlin at least 15' tall? I tried Google street view, but the tunnel doesn't have a height sign
-Are there any low overpasses less than 15'?
-Would the PCH/HWY1 between Big Sur and San Simeon be too narrow/windy for my 43' 5'er
-Are there any large sized pull-out/pull over spots along the PCH where we could access the beach(es)?

Thanks!

I have been through the Carlin tunnels 100's of times but did not have to pay attention to the height. My guess is you are ok as NDOT requires a permit over 15'6". I understand the truckers atlas will give you that info. It should be found in walmart.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
BruteForce,
As others have said, I would not take a 43' TH on Hwy 1 below Big Sur. Take Hwy 101 south from Salinas. Hwy 1 is a great scenic drive on any day, but not with a 60' rig.

I have made this drive many times, including with my last 32' SOB 5th wheel (which was a bit tedious).
As far as highway posted length limits go, I usually push them a bit, but on this road you really can't. There are a couple of turns that would be near impossible to make with a rig that long. Not to mention that if you got stuck the CHP would issue you a healthy ticket. Drive safe, Trace

BruteForce

Thanks for all the feedback. We pretty much suspected the route wouldnt be advisable towing the 5'er. We'll start looking at alternate options for a fun and scenic road-trip.