satellite install question/ help needed

my aunt's house originally had her receiver installed in the basement with all the video signals split to the other rooms, she could change channels from any floor of the house (i assume by means of RF remote and receiver) anyways after some problem with her dish a installer came by and swapped out her receiver, she now has to go all the way to the basement (3 story house) to change channels. She wanted me to try and move the box up to the living room so here is my question. Her house is prewired with coax, and her living room has a coax cable hookup in the wall (only 1) i know i need to run the satellite in signal through that coax to the back of the receiver. Then the video out (coax) needs to split (one end to the living room tv, one to the basement and one upstairs) my question is can i backfeed the split video out signal back through the same coax cable that satellite in is coming through?

additonal info... she has dish network, seems to be an older receiver non hd, i just need to be able to send a video signal down through the same cable as the "satellite in" is coming through

danemayer

Hi kobeandodom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. Most of our focus is on our Heartland RVs, but since many of us have satellite TV, we occasionally have to delve into problems like this.

As a general answer, I would think the answer depends on how the interior coax has been run. If the outside line comes into the basement and then separate lines go out from there, fed by a splitter, you might be able to run a new coax line to from dish to living room. Then connect the output of the receiver to the existing coax that runs from living room to the basement. That line would now be connected to the splitter output and I think you'd have to move it to the input side of the splitter.

Or you might call DISH and explain what's happened. Perhaps the remote for the new receiver has both Infrared and RF and is just set to Infrared. If so, it may just need to be set to RF.

was seeing if i could avoid running a second cable, was really hoping to be able to run both feeds through the same cable if at all possible, dish doesn't want to fix her issue with out charging her, was trying to save her a little bit of money.

hoefler

Is it a dual tuner receiver?? If so, move the cable from output 1 to output 2. The 2nd tuner is controlled by a RF signal remote, while the 1st tuner is a IR signal. If it is a single tuner, you can purchase a signal repeater to control it. You point the remote at the transmitter and it sends the signal to the receiver that is positioned in front of the receiver.

it's a single tuner receiver, the basement already has a splitter that splits the tv signal amongst all the rooms, only problem is if i move the receiver up to the living room i only have one coax jack avaible there to send a signal back down and since the satellite in has to come up that coax, i need a way to also send a video signal down that same coax to the splitter in the basement.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the Dish guy swapped out the receiver, maybe you still need to go into the menu and tell it to accept the RF signal instead of IR.
Don't know about Dish, but that's the way it works in DirecTV.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

could be worth a try and a simple solution, only thing is the back of the receiver didn't have any antenna or anything on it, it if was a RF equipped receiver i would think it would have an antenna on the back?

wdk450

Make sure that the same model receiver was swapped in. My RF remote is marked "21.0 IR/UHF Pro". The IR remote is marked "20.1 IR". My receiver(722) has an input for the remote RF signal antenna on the back, a short piece of coax connected to it, and a bare wire right angle antenna about a foot long.

I hope this helps.

jimtoo

Sounds like Dish messed up... I would be on the phone with Dish. They should provide what ever service she had and is paying for at no extra charge if they installed the wrong receiver.

donr827

Unless she is tied to Dish have her call Direct TV and see what kind of offer they are running. At lot of the times the installation is free. Of course you have to sign a 2 yr agreement and would need to compare channels received and the cost.
Don

danemayer

One possible problem getting DISH to correct the situation is that they typically expect you to pay for a separate receiver at each TV, rather than split the output of one receiver. So they probably aren't terribly interested in fixing the problem.

Nevertheless, you might call DISH and ask for the retention department. Once you get them, explain that DISH serviced the installation and left it only partially working. Ask for it to be corrected at no charge. Let them know if it stays broken, that your next phone call will be to Directv to see what they can do to resolve the problem.

wdk450

her receiver only has a satellite in, tv out and uhf antenna in hookup

You know since my RF remote is marked IR/UHF, I wonder if that "UHF antenna" on the receiver is the remote antenna input. If I was providing over the air antenna input, I would not mark it just "UHF" OTA TV is both VHF (Ch 2 - 13) and UHF (CH 14 - 62). You might try getting a piece of unshielded wire connected to that UHF antenna connector and see if the remote now works. Start with the remote in the room with the receiver, since the antenna is jury rigged, and could perform poorly.

I just pulled out my receiver and looked at the rear connector labeling. The input I am talking about is labeled "Remote Antenna".

evolvingpowercat

Do any of the remotes say 40.0 UHF 2G on the back? That is the RF remotes that the Dish Hopper DVR uses allow me to change channels on the Hopper from anywhere in my home. Those should work from anywhere without line of sight, if the Dish receiver supports the UHF remotes. You might have to call the Dish 800 # to ask about that.

I have the Dish Hopper. The Hopper has a RF remote receive antenna that plugs into the back of the DVR. The Hopper does not have UHF RF out so I have an external UHF RF modulator connected to the composite video stereo audio out jacks. I got the UHF modulator on Ebay for about $ 20.

thanks for all the help guys, i have to find time on my next day off to get back down there and look again, i see online antennas labled "dish network uhf antenna" so i just have to see if her remote is labeled in that way and go from there.