Shakedown run....

kf5qby

I finally go time to take out my new (used) trailer for its overnight shakedown run. It pulled very well with weight equalizer and sway bar. But I don't think I want to go any bigger than this with my Grand Cherokee.

home.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
To be honest, I think you are pushing your luck with that setup.

I've been there-done that with the too-small-truck-for-the-trailer thing.

That is a sweet trailer, but I think you need a bigger tow vehicle for it.

tott9713

Surprisingly...by the books with a Hemi or Ecodiesel in that Jeep he's within its towing specs. Not by much but still within the capabilities of the Jeep..

Welcome to the Heartland Travel Trailer crew. Safe travels

kf5qby

Surprisingly...by the books with a Hemi or Ecodiesel in that Jeep he's within its towing specs. Not by much but still within the capabilities of the Jeep..

Yes, it is at the top end of what the Grand is rated for. It took a long time to find a trailer that was comfortable and still within the rated specs for the Jeep. I just have to keep in mind that I am close to max weight and adjust my driving accordingly.

I understand the desire for a larger tow vehicle. I have regularly pulled 14K lbs. on a 30 ft. goose-neck behind a 3500 CTD. The larger tuck is just out of the question right now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats on the first trip! Where was your first stay?

We towed our 21 FBS with a Toyota 4Runner at first. Yes it was within the tow rating, but we quickly learned that the tail could still wag the dog because the wheelbase of the tow vehicle (TV) was too short. Be careful with windy conditions, and when semi's pass you.

Be sure to come and join other Texas Heartland owners for a Rally or Campout! We have a Campout (a less formal event) this weekend at Lake Brownwood State Park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Congrats on the new-to-you North Trail. As Erika said, please consider coming to a rally or camp out. Lots of fun and meeting with other Heartland owners. The Best folks ever!!

Bones

It sounds like the trailer did great but you may have shaken your Tow Vehicle out of the picture.:cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

As I've always said here . . . "It's not what you can pull . . . but what can you STOP!"

I'm sure the dealer probably said it would pull it just fine.

kf5qby

As I've always said here . . . "It's not what you can pull . . . but what can you STOP!"

I'm sure the dealer probably said it would pull it just fine.

And it stops it just fine as well.

BTW the dealer never fed me that line. While I am new to RVs, I am not new to towing. I know very well the capabilities and limitations of my tow vehicle.

jam20ster

I think sometimes people come across as scolding and trying teach people lessons when they recommend tow vehicles. I have been guilty of this myself all though it was never my intention. What most people are trying to say is they have been there and done that and are trying to pass down free advice.

I understand everyone has a budget, but sometimes a few extra bucks for safety should be considered. After all is you or your families life worth saving a $100-200 a month? For me the answer is no.

Most importantly get out their and use the RV as much as possible!

Domi

Hope your trip went well. we have had our NT for just over a year and love it. Currently in Buena Vista, Co watching the fall colors. This has been the best trip everbecause we can stay in oine area and enjoy all the drives for a fraction of the cost of a hotel for the same number of nights.

Hope you and your trailer have a great time together.

John

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think sometimes people come across as scolding and trying teach people lessons when they recommend tow vehicles. I have been guilty of this myself all though it was never my intention. What most people are trying to say is they have been there and done that and are trying to pass down free advice.

I understand everyone has a budget, but sometimes a few extra bucks for safety should be considered. After all is you or your families life worth saving a $100-200 a month? For me the answer is no.

Most importantly get out their and use the RV as much as possible!

Very well said !!!!
I have been there done that many time over the years. With that spread axle setup it might be a little easy to handle. Just make sure you never over load the rear of the trailer it doesn't take much to cross that threshold and be completely out of control. I've been there twice. Once was 2 Razor's on my 16' car trailer hooked behind my Yukon XL. I loaded them 12" further back "just 12 inches" from how I normally load them and my wife was driving it and following me. She was just getting on the freeway and at about 45mph it stared wiping back and forth. That's 2 Razor 800S 1000lbs each and a maybe 2000lbs trailer so a total of 4000lbs took a hold of that big Yukon XL Denali and about put her in the ditch.

The family's safety is most important for sure and when I first looked at that picture I think (This is just my opinion) so don't take it to hard :) that does not look safe.

kf5qby

Very well said !!!!
I have been there done that many time over the years. With that spread axle setup it might be a little easy to handle. Just make sure you never over load the rear of the trailer it doesn't take much to cross that threshold and be completely out of control. I've been there twice. Once was 2 Razor's on my 16' car trailer hooked behind my Yukon XL. I loaded them 12" further back "just 12 inches" from how I normally load them and my wife was driving it and following me. She was just getting on the freeway and at about 45mph it stared wiping back and forth. That's 2 Razor 800S 1000lbs each and a maybe 2000lbs trailer so a total of 4000lbs took a hold of that big Yukon XL Denali and about put her in the ditch.

The family's safety is most important for sure and when I first looked at that picture I think (This is just my opinion) so don't take it to hard :) that does not look safe.

Thank you, I learned my lesson back in college. I loaded a u-haul trailer wrong and almost put the suburban I borrowed from a friends father into a ditch at 65 MPH. Took about an hour and half on the side of the road to reload that trailer so that it was safe. That was after removing the seat cushion.

The perspecitve is a little off on that picture as I was even with the rear of the trailer. The Jeep actually looks smaller than it is.

kf5qby

Perspective makes a big difference. Just curious what would your opinion have been if this was the first picture? Same vehicles.
tt2.jpg