Simple Tow Truck Question

Georgia_Biker

We attended the RV Show in Albuquerque and went through a new LM Charleston. My wife loved it! (omg)

We currently have a Big Horn 3875FB that I pull with a Dodge Ram 3500 - short bed - overload springs. Ram doesn't even know the BH is back there.

Can I pull the Charleston with my Ram? Having to buy another truck as well as the Charleston will probably rule me out.

What da you think?

ramdually4100king

I tow a Cyclone 4100 with a dodge 3500 mega cab and have no problems. The 4100 weighs more than the LM so you should be fine.

The dually is recommended though

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I would not recommend towing the Charleston without a dually. This happened to us. We had a SRW 3500 short bed and after we put it on the scale, we were overweight. I also didn't want to go through rear tires and wheel bearings
BTW, we also have a 2016 Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clayhud

I would not recommend towing the Charleston without a dually. This happened to us. We had a SRW 3500 short bed and after we put it on the scale, we were overweight. I also didn't want to go through rear tires and wheel bearings
BTW, we also have a 2016 Charleston.

O boy Larry.......I smell two purchases.....Charleston & Dodge Dually! Looks like you two are having a great time on the trip, need to catch up when you return.

All the best,

Jim.Allison

Why does one need a DRW to tow a Charelston? If his 3500 had the payload capability, and the specified tires to match the payload rating, then it should be good to go. The Charleston should be well within his towing capacity.

Today the SRW is capable of safely towing large rigs, but just like anything else you must do the math.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
My Charleston has a pin weight of 3340 pounds. I do not have a generator or washer / dryer. Assuming Georgia_Biker has a 2 wheel drive crew cab, short box, the highest payload is 4160 pounds. Subtract for two passengers, you are eating up that payload quick. Now, looking at GCWR, the said truck has a GCWR of 25300, the Charleston has a GVWR of 18000. That's where things get really close. To close for me. With the SRW axle ratio, it's my opinion and I did tow with the SRW 3:42 rear axle combo and it just didn't feel safe.
Bought the dually and we are under all weights and now feel safe.

Sarge

It's not the towing - Its the stopping and severe wind / weather.

Upgrade your truck - Then upgrade the rig...

Sarge

Georgia_Biker

O boy Larry.......I smell two purchases.....Charleston & Dodge Dually! Looks like you two are having a great time on the trip, need to catch up when you return.

All the best,

Hey Clay & Candy!

We are really enjoying our trip and have met so many nice people and seen some great sights. We enjoyed the Chapter Rally at Fort McDowell and met up with Steve & Patti Lester from Toccoa and Walter & Linda West and we have already signed on for Marathon in Oct 2017.

I think we are also going to make the trip to Goshen next June.

All of that said Sharon really fell in love with the Charleston (surprised me!) - the increased room in the kitchen and additional cabinets was great and most of all the new layout around the King Size bed and being able to make it up. I enjoy the 1/2 bath in our present 3875FB but she said I didn't need it.

As always I got on the Forum to get some opinions on the tow vehicle. Of course the LeMesa salesman at the RV Show said my Ram 3500 SRW would be fine and he wanted to make a deal right away. Quite honestly if my truck would work I would go ahead - Sharon has always wanted a Landmark and you know the old rule about - if Mama is Happy life is good.

The additional cost of trading for a Charleston and then having to get a Giant tow truck is too much. The 3500 SRW we have now is a challenge at times when going to tourist stops, grocery stores, resturauts, etc when disconnected. I guess we will continue on - maybe someday.

Hope to see ya'll soon

We purchased our new Charleston in June and took a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. We have a 2015 Ford 350 crew and it did great. Put the truck on cruise and it pulled over the Idaho and Montana passes with no problems. The compression braking is great too for the decents. Our SRW also keeps it able to park in the NPs and tourist locations, where the parking spaces seem to be shrinking.

Georgia_Biker

We purchased our new Charleston in June and took a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. We have a 2015 Ford 350 crew and it did great. Put the truck on cruise and it pulled over the Idaho and Montana passes with no problems. The compression braking is great too for the decents. Our SRW also keeps it able to park in the NPs and tourist locations, where the parking spaces seem to be shrinking.

Thanks - That is really eye opening!

avvidclif

The dry weight of the Charleston is abt 500 lbs over my actual weight when loaded and I'm over on a couple of weight ratings (GCVWR for one). I wouldn't even think about what a loaded one would weigh.... On a SRW????

I have no problem with towing it, the engine is up to it. It's everything else I would worry about.