Slide cable rubbing normal?

TopsRV2

I have a 2017 Heartland Mallard M312 and the cables for the slide are rubbing against the frame wall. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? I had it in the shop and they told me that they contacted Heartland and that Heartland told them that it was normal and no correction was needed. I could have sworn that I read somewhere on one of the forums or something that there was an adjustment for this and it could indeed be fixed. Otherwise it will eventually lead to the cables being worn and frayed. Any thoughts?

dbbls59

Don't think the cables should be rubbing on anything. This will wear out the cables. I would call Heartland myself.

Our M25 Slide cables are rubbing on all metal openings. Camping World wanted to widen the openings but Heartland said "do it and you void the warranty. Heartland states that the cables should have a 1" slack in them and that will remedy the cables rubbing. I'm so sure about that. We're still dealing with the rubbing.

wdk450

Our M25 Slide cables are rubbing on all metal openings. Camping World wanted to widen the openings but Heartland said "do it and you void the warranty. Heartland states that the cables should have a 1" slack in them and that will remedy the cables rubbing. I'm so sure about that. We're still dealing with the rubbing.

Maybe you could use some teflon grommet edging, sometimes called caterpillar grommet. This is applied to the sheet metal opening that the cables go through (and rub) to give a low friction, hard surface for the cables to rub on instead of bare metal. Do a websearch on "Teflon grommet edging" to see some images and find some sources of supply. It would be nice if the cables are plastic (or teflon) coated, too. The larger electronic mail order houses should have this along with airplane parts suppliers.

Don't think the cables should be rubbing on anything. This will wear out the cables. I would call Heartland myself.

Heartland is the one who told me "the slide-out should have a 1" slack in the cables." Our cables are taut. I'm asking if anyone with slide-out cable knowledge knows if the cables should have a 1" slack in them or not.

WillyBill

Heartland is the one who told me "the slide-out should have a 1" slack in the cables." Our cables are taut. I'm asking if anyone with slide-out cable knowledge knows if the cables should have a 1" slack in them or not.

Carefully read the BAL Accuslide installation manual located above under "Tools". The 1" slack is +/- from neutral or resting position - NOT 1" DROOP. They also talk about NO SCRAPING - must be aligned with holes and talks about how to adjust. Whomever is answering questions at the dealer and Heartland is not as smart as they think that they are, lol.

WB

I have a 2017 Heartland Mallard M312 and the cables for the slide are rubbing against the frame wall. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? I had it in the shop and they told me that they contacted Heartland and that Heartland told them that it was normal and no correction was needed. I could have sworn that I read somewhere on one of the forums or something that there was an adjustment for this and it could indeed be fixed. Otherwise it will eventually lead to the cables being worn and frayed. Any thoughts?
I have a 2019 Mallard M27 and the slide out is doing the same thing. The cable is cutting into the side of the metal frame where it passes through the round opening. It seems like it would eventually cut the metal support and cause the mechanism to fail. Of course this would be out of warranty according to them. This seems like a fairly common problem with a lot of these Heartland trailers.

thewanderingeight

I don’t think it’s limited to Heartland. This slide system is used because it’s extremely light weight, and much cheaper than some of the other lightweight options.

The issues are twofold. The installation must be fairly accurate so the alignment is right, and yearly maintenance (or more) is required to ensure that the system stays in alignment. I have watched several alignment videos, and it’s a lot of back and fourth to ensure it’s all lined up properly. Not to mention just getting to the nuts that need to be adjusted often requires removing a lot of the wood trim which is all held together by staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk