Slide out would not close

lkeener

Slide out opened would not close. Manually closed very tight quarters but got it closed. No noise no breakers no fuse blown. Unit 1 year 6 months old. SUGGESTIONS.

RDsStudio59

Make and model and electric or hydraulic slide information might be helpful for diagnosis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

lkeener

So here is what we did. Opened slide out no issues. Camped 3 days got ready to leave slide in not working. No noise nothing. Attached piece send with unit and drill and close slide manually. Glad my son in law has long arms as motor is fixed on wall an slide pushes you away from motor as it closes. Also not much arm room between wood facing and ceiling. WILL it do any good to call heartland on Monday as they are closed saturdays?

Domi

Calling Heartland is a good guess make sure you have your VIN # as they will ask for it.

Did you check your fuse box to make sure you did not have a blown fuse. I would suggest that before calling if you can.

Ours has gotten stuck a couple of times but the motor has always run.

Good luck.

John

danemayer

No noise from the motor would suggest it's not getting power. Now that you manually got the slide back in, does the motor work when extending the slide? If it only goes one direction, that's probably a switch problem. If it doesn't work in either direction, that's a more general loss of power.

Are all the other 12V DC devices working correctly? If they are, then I'd check the backside of the switch first. Before going too far, take a picture with your phone so if any wires come off you can get them back in the right place.

lkeener

If it's electric and will go out but not in it's probably the switch.
Will not go either direction

- - - Updated - - -

No noise from the motor would suggest it's not getting power. Now that you manually got the slide back in, does the motor work when extending the slide? If it only goes one direction, that's probably a switch problem. If it doesn't work in either direction, that's a more general loss of power.

Are all the other 12V DC devices working correctly? If they are, then I'd check the backside of the switch first. Before going too far, take a picture with your phone so if any wires come off you can get them back in the right place.

Everything else works

danemayer

Get a voltmeter and check for voltage on the back of the switch. It's probably wired something like this.

Attachments

• DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 47

danemayer

So far eliminated switch. Don't know how to test breakers by batteries. MAY just take it in to dealer.
If you take a voltage reading at each breaker, you should read 12V DC on both terminals of each breaker. You can connect the ground lead from the meter to the battery negative terminal.

But if you have 12V at the switch, it's probably not a problem at the breakers.

If 12V is getting to the motor but the motor isn't running, it could be a missing ground from the switch back to a ground terminal block. Or a bad motor.

lkeener

If you take a voltage reading at each breaker, you should read 12V DC on both terminals of each breaker. You can connect the ground lead from the meter to the battery negative terminal.

But if you have 12V at the switch, it's probably not a problem at the breakers.

If 12V is getting to the motor but the motor isn't running, it could be a missing ground from the switch back to a ground terminal block. Or a bad motor.
I didn't test switch with meter. I changed switches with awning switch. Slide out switch worked awning.

carl.swoyer

There are breaker's that have a pencil like reset . Ask Dane Meyer. I can't remember what it is called. Could be an over load due to a low battery.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lkeener

There are breaker's that have a pencil like reset . Ask Dane Meyer. I can't remember what it is called. Could be an over load due to a low battery.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ok so finally took to dealer. Determined somewhere wire was burned or shorted out. UNIT was 16 months old. Called heartland but they would not warranty unless we had pictures. WHAT a bunch of crap. person said probably a screw or something had penetrated wire to short it out. DIDN'T think got treated right by Heartland on this issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes probably headed to dealer tested breakers all 12.3 volts. Don't know how to check the ground back to switch. Thanks for everyone help.
If your breakers are showing 12.3 volts, your battery is dead.
If there was a short then the battery would be completely depleted.
So, getting back to checking the breakers you need to feel the side of each breaker. You are looking for a tiny reset button.
Also check to be sure that your converter is plugged in and working.
If your dealer only found 12.3 volts, he should know that is a dead battery and find out why.

Peace
Dave