Slide out would not close

lkeener

What did you find out with your slide out?
Was it the switch?
Ok so finally took to dealer. Determined somewhere wire was burned or shorted out. UNIT was 16 months old. Called heartland but they would not warranty unless we had pictures. WHAT a bunch of crap. person said probably a screw or something had penetrated wire to short it out. DIDN'T think got treated right by Heartland on this issue. GOT it traced to where factory put wire together had come apart. Had to pull frig.

- - - Updated - - -

If your breakers are showing 12.3 volts, your battery is dead.
If there was a short then the battery would be completely depleted.
So, getting back to checking the breakers you need to feel the side of each breaker. You are looking for a tiny reset button.
Also check to be sure that your converter is plugged in and working.
If your dealer only found 12.3 volts, he should know that is a dead battery and find out why.

Peace
Dave
- -

Baterry not dead breakers good. PROBLEM wire came apart where factory put wires together in behind frig going to slide out motor. FACTORY fault but would not pay for repair. Hartland support sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

PROBLEM wire came apart where factory put wires together in behind frig going to slide out motor. FACTORY fault but would not pay for repair. Hartland support sucks.
Heartland's warranty statement, in your trailer manual, covers repair of manufacturing defects that show up in the first 12 months. Of course, manufacturing defects can show up after 12 months in which case they're not covered by the warranty and you would have the choice of either repairing it yourself, or paying someone to repair the problem.

A third choice would be to look at purchasing an extended warranty.

mlpeloquin

The warranty is for one year. Not ideal depending on just how much the rig is used. I (one only) and others have found open and/or loose twist electrical connections. By searching the FORUM you will see it is few. It is not a comfort if it happens to be your rig though. It would help if GOOD 3M electrical tape was put around the twist connectors to prevent them form loosening up over time. Most do not loosen up, but some apparently do. It maybe do to an assembler not twisting the connector with the wires correctly. I always pull hard on all wires after installing a twist connector and use electrical tape to make sure it stays secure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've always felt that a one year warranty is not long enough to find out potential defects, unless maybe you are living in it full time.

If you only camp four or five times in a season and put less than 3000 miles on your RV in the one year since you bought your RV . . . that is not enough use to find out potential problems.

There are some RV's that do come with a longer warranty . . . would be nice if Heartland would step up to that plate on ALL of their brands!

danemayer

I've always felt that a one year warranty is not long enough to find out potential defects, unless maybe you are living in it full time.

If you only camp four or five times in a season and put less than 3000 miles on your RV in the one year since you bought your RV . . . that is not enough use to find out potential problems.

There are some RV's that do come with a longer warranty . . . would be nice if Heartland would step up to that plate on ALL of their brands!

A longer warranty would not be free. Whatever Heartland estimated the additional coverage to cost them would be added to the cost of the trailer. The cost gets marked up to a wholesale price. Then the dealer marks it up again.

If you want to pay extra, you can buy an extended warranty. Of course, as some have found, the devil is in the details.

lkeener

A longer warranty would not be free. Whatever Heartland estimated the additional coverage to cost them would be added to the cost of the trailer. The cost gets marked up to a wholesale price. Then the dealer marks it up again.

If you want to pay extra, you can buy an extended warranty. Of course, as some have found, the devil is in the details.
I'm sorry a good company would have stepped up for this manufacturer problem. But some companies chose to lose business over such things. I'LL not buy another Heartland for sure since they can't twist wire. 1 year 6 months should have willingly helped out on this. When my canopy lights went out two times they blamed the light manufacturer. Typical response of a company that is short sighted.

donr827

You see a lot of problems with wire connections on this forum. HL needs to train their employees how to do it correctly and maybe change the way they connect the wire together. Most owners correct the problem themselves instead of taking them to a dealer for warrantee repair on wire connections. As mentioned above I always wrap a new connection with electrical tape.
Don

rhodies1

I'm sorry a good company would have stepped up for this manufacturer problem. But some companies chose to lose business over such things. I'LL not buy another Heartland for sure since they can't twist wire. 1 year 6 months should have willingly helped out on this. When my canopy lights went out two times they blamed the light manufacturer. Typical response of a company that is short sighted.

You may not have a choice but to buy a Heartland owned product.....,just about all the industry is owned by Thor Industries which owns Heartland.As stated by others ,they all have issues and I'll bet there all the same.Read other forums, other non Thor companies have the same type issues,all companies are putting them down the assembly line quickly and don't have time to check properly.

Ks.Kev

So here is what we did. Opened slide out no issues. Camped 3 days got ready to leave slide in not working. No noise nothing. Attached piece send with unit and drill and close slide manually. Glad my son in law has long arms as motor is fixed on wall an slide pushes you away from motor as it closes. Also not much arm room between wood facing and ceiling. WILL it do any good to call heartland on Monday as they are closed saturdays?

Well, glad you found out what and where the problem was...
So far... knock on wood.... has not happened to me.
I too have the NT 22 FBS and have a couple of questions on how you got that slide back in.
1) Did you have to take off any of the wood fascia on the slide to hook up the tool provided to manually bring the slide in.
2) Where is exactly the place on the motor to put the tool in to turn the motor manually... front / left side / right side? (So little clearance cant really see where it goes without pulling off the wood fascia!)

I was thinking IF the place is on the right side, making a extension for the tool provided, and going in from the right side to the motor and manually turning it to bring slide in. At least I wouldn't have to remove the wood fascia to use that "short" tool they provide and IF my arms are not long enough or body not flexible enough to use the tool and having the slide pushing a person away as it's retracted would help tremendously.
OR
If on the front of the motor, I would drill a small hole in the front wood fascia to go thru with the extension and manual tool into the motor and manually turn it there.... again not to having to remove the wood fascia
THIS, and only THIS is the worst and poor design flaw of the NT 22 FBS that I have found!!!
Beside this one and only flaw..... LOVE the NT 22FBS!!!!

lkeener

Well, glad you found out what and where the problem was...
So far... knock on wood.... has not happened to me.
I too have the NT 22 FBS and have a couple of questions on how you got that slide back in.
1) Did you have to take off any of the wood fascia on the slide to hook up the tool provided to manually bring the slide in.
2) Where is exactly the place on the motor to put the tool in to turn the motor manually... front / left side / right side? (So little clearance cant really see where it goes without pulling off the wood fascia!)

I was thinking IF the place is on the right side, making a extension for the tool provided, and going in from the right side to the motor and manually turning it to bring slide in. At least I wouldn't have to remove the wood fascia to use that "short" tool they provide and IF my arms are not long enough or body not flexible enough to use the tool and having the slide pushing a person away as it's retracted would help tremendously.
OR
If on the front of the motor, I would drill a small hole in the front wood fascia to go thru with the extension and manual tool into the motor and manually turn it there.... again not to having to remove the wood fascia
THIS, and only THIS is the worst and poor design flaw of the NT 22 FBS that I have found!!!
Beside this one and only flaw..... LOVE the NT 22FBS!!!!
Yes we manually got it in. Your right not enough room for short arms. The drill extension fits in the left end of the motor. WE used camera on phone to see how to insert. SON in law 6.2 long arms able to stretch and get it in. Took 15 min. Taking fascia off would make easier. Longer tool needed.

lkeener

You see a lot of problems with wire connections on this forum. HL needs to train their employees how to do it correctly and maybe change the way they connect the wire together. Most owners correct the problem themselves instead of taking them to a dealer for warrantee repair on wire connections. As mentioned above I always wrap a new connection with electrical tape.
Don
Unfortunately the transition connection is where it came un twisted. Required removing the frig. The support guys suggested runing new wire under trailer and up outer wall instead of tracing it. I laughed at that suggestion but that is what they would require had it been in the 1 year warranty. I'm