Slide room seals

bdb2047

Question for those w/slide toppers.How do you clean and treat outside seals along top of slide under topper?I just tried w/long pole and paper rag and silicone.I know it did some good not sure how much.Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Question for those w/slide toppers.How do you clean and treat outside seals along top of slide under topper?I just tried w/long pole and paper rag and silicone.I know it did some good not sure how much.Thanks

I don't. There is no recommended treatment for the seals, other than occasionally cleaning them with soap & water if they get really grungy, but under the toppers, there isn't much need for it. The manufacturer does not recommend putting silicone on them since they need to have a slight tack to them to flex properly. Occasionally, mine don't fully flex out when extending the slides, so I use a manual awning pull rod to coax them out.

bdb2047

I should have been more specific.The seals I am concerned about are the ones that go around outside permiter of room and seal it when closed.When I opened slides last time the seals around bedroom slde stuck to outside finish.Did not tear them but left a layer of rubber in spots ,like they melted.Was hard to clean of finish but no real damage to seal or finish.

JohnDar

I should have been more specific.The seals I am concerned about are the ones that go around outside permiter of room and seal it when closed.When I opened slides last time the seals around bedroom slde stuck to outside finish.Did not tear them but left a layer of rubber in spots ,like they melted.Was hard to clean of finish but no real damage to seal or finish.

I was talking about the exterior seals. The manufacturer was at the Goshen rally and specifically recommended against putting anything on them. Unfortunately, I don't remember their name and they didn't have any literature with them. If they're sticking to the point that they're disintegrating and transferring material onto the slide walls, you may want to go through Heartland to contact the manufacturer.

Netem

You have wipers and seals on the slides. I think what John is talking about are the wipers and if they were slick with silicone they wouldn't grab the slide as it goes in or out. I do put silicone on my seals but I don't have toppers. Maybe a sponge on a rod of some kind would work.

JohnDar

You have wipers and seals on the slides. I think what John is talking about are the wipers and if they were slick with silicone they wouldn't grab the slide as it goes in or out. I do put silicone on my seals but I don't have toppers. Maybe a sponge on a rod of some kind would work.

I was thinking more of the wiper portion, since that is what lays against the slide wall. The bulb section contacts the flange on the outer wall of the slide, but the whole thing is one molded piece. If the rubber is sticking that much to leave pieces behind, something is not right.

bdb2047

The spray is what I have used,have used it on car door seals helps keep from freezing tight.I am thinking some type of contaniation caused problem but never had it happen before.I think seal are OK at this point just trying to prevent it from occuring again.A better solution for car doors is take car where it can,t freeze.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some silicone spray contain MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) or Acetone. These solvents are not friendly toward plastic or rubber. Be sure to read your label.

Peace
Dave

Trialstyle

Some silicone spray contain MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) or Acetone. These solvents are not friendly toward plastic or rubber. Be sure to read your label.

Peace
Dave

I would recommend Gibbs Oil- I'm sure most of you probably haven't heard of it as it's not sold in stores. Someone recommended it to me and I'm a believer in this stuff! You will be too if you ever used it.
Here's the link http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
Funny thing - there was like only two pages about this oil on the net several years ago. Just now when I was looking for the above site (one of the oldest) I see more information about gibbs oil - the information is getting out. But the above has been on the longest and has tons of good articles.

Dean