Slide Toppers

I just bought the 2016 big horn 3160 My Question is ?
Dos anybody have this rig and do you have a topper on the rear slide on the right next to the door. I asked my dealer to install toppers on all three slides, and he told me he could not put one on the right rear. he said not enough room. This seems very strange to me .what else could I put there ? Any help would be welcomed.

weekender01

I do not have a Bighorn, but our buddy has the 3270 (almost the exact same model) and it has slide toppers on all the slides. If you are referring to the space issue between the slide and the awning arm you are correct that it is tight, but it can be done. The dealer would need to shift the topper arm slightly, along with ordering the correct size to ensure that nothing interferes.

Trust me it can be done, but they need to know what they are doing, which sounds like they do not.

danemayer

On some models, I think the slide out rooms now have higher ceilings than they used to. I'm wondering if that compromises the vertical space needed to mount the topper rail.

weekender01

It is an option that Heartland offers as listed on their website. I would be nervous that your dealer does not know that this can be done.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
On some models, I think the slide out rooms now have higher ceilings than they used to. I'm wondering if that compromises the vertical space needed to mount the topper rail.

The 3160 has that 7' mega slide there. Maybe so..

sengli

Our 3260 has the same mega slide, and we had dometic toppers installed. I will say that topper due to its length, the toppers main shaft bends/sags in the middle, when the slide is extended.. because its run is too long. Because this topper is so big, and contorted it holds water because it cant stay taught.

jbeletti

Our 3260 has the same mega slide, and we had dometic toppers installed. I will say that topper due to its length, the toppers main shaft bends/sags in the middle, when the slide is extended.. because its run is too long. Because this topper is so big, and contorted it holds water because it cant stay taught.

Dometic has a cradle with rollers that supports longer slide toppers.

Tundra2084

W had the same problem of sagging roller and installed a slide topper cradle. It cured the problem of the fabric rubbing and the bend in the roller. And yes our topper on the door side is offset by about 1 inch to make its hardware clear the awning arm, but still keeps the debris and rain off the slide.

Ebay.com has them. Here is what to look for.
Dometic Cradle Kit for Slide Topper Awnings 3309526.006B

RVFun4Us

Our 3270 had all three toppers installed. The tech indicated that when the awning was deployed, it would just brush the end of the topper on the door side. And that is what it does. Just barely brushes. Gave me the option to move the topper down a bit but then it would not completely cover the top of the slide. So needed to make a decision and I elected to leave as is. If there was more of a conflict, then I would have it move down but for now, does not seem to be a problem. I thought this was just peculiar to my coach but sounds like it is not.