Slide Won't Open

Greengas

I have a 2014 Landmark San Antonio. The kitchen slide is not opening. All the other slides work fine. When we try to open the kitchen slide we hear all the right noises, but no movement. This happened before and magically fixed it self when we tried a day or two latter (we have the rig in storage).

Any thoughts would be most helpful.

danemayer

Hi Ronn,

If you hear the pump running when the switch is pressed, it may be a stuck valve. If the valve for that hydraulic line doesn't open when the switch is pressed, the pump will sound like it's struggling. It's the same sound the pump makes with a working slide when you reach end of travel in either direction.

First thing - try pushing the switch in the retract direction for a second, then in the extend. If you have a problem with the switch sending power to the valve, that might get it going. If that doesn't help, you can try operating the valve manually.

The valves on your Landmark are probably on the rear side of the hydraulic pump's trombetta. On the front wall, off-door-side of your pass through basement storage, you'll see a small wall panel that likely provides access to the valves, as well as to the pump motor for manual operation.

You can operate the valves manually using an 1/8" allen wrench. By opening the valve manually, you can verify that the rest of the mechanism is working.

Sorry, I don't know which valve controls the kitchen slide. Try one at a time and remember to close the valves so they operate normally.

Hydraulic valve manual operation.jpg

Greengas

On my 2014 San Antonio, the pump and valves are in the generator/battery bay.

That's where mine are as well. I'm going out to the rig in the morning to see what I can do. By the way, do you know which hoses go to which slides? Or, is there a way to tell?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ronn,

If you hear the pump running when the switch is pressed, it may be a stuck valve. If the valve for that hydraulic line doesn't open when the switch is pressed, the pump will sound like it's struggling. It's the same sound the pump makes with a working slide when you reach end of travel in either direction.

First thing - try pushing the switch in the retract direction for a second, then in the extend. If you have a problem with the switch sending power to the valve, that might get it going. If that doesn't help, you can try operating the valve manually.

The valves on your Landmark are probably on the rear side of the hydraulic pump's trombetta. On the front wall, off-door-side of your pass through basement storage, you'll see a small wall panel that likely provides access to the valves, as well as to the pump motor for manual operation.

You can operate the valves manually using an 1/8" allen wrench. By opening the valve manually, you can verify that the rest of the mechanism is working.

Sorry, I don't know which valve controls the kitchen slide. Try one at a time and remember to close the valves so they operate normally.

View attachment 51851

Thanks Dan! You always come to the rescue. I printed the guide you included and will take my handy allen wrench out there in the morning! I'll let ya'all know how it goes. But no matter what, I think I need to get the valve fixed since this is the second time this has happened. I guess, in the long run, "can't get the slide out" is better than "can't get the slide in"!

danemayer

But no matter what, I think I need to get the valve fixed since this is the second time this has happened.

Ronn,

The switch has a role in this as well. The switch operates both the pump and the valve. Could be an intermittent switch.

Greengas

Re: Slide Won't Open - Update

Fixed. Or at least the slide is out. On the device that controls the hydraulicso there were 5 valves. 2 on top and 3 on the bottom (interesting since there are 6 hydraulic devices, 3 of the 4 slides and 3 sets of landing gear) Used trial and error along with a 1/8 Allen wrench and it was the center one on the bottom. Slide opened. Closed valve. Will open the valve again when we depart our current location on Monday.

Now my question is, does this prove it is a bad valve or could it still be the switch. My bet is its the valve. Is that easily replaceable?

danemayer

Could be either the valve or the switch. It's easier to replace the switch. Take a clear picture with your phone before any wires come off.

Greengas

Could be either the valve or the switch. It's easier to replace the switch. Take a clear picture with your phone before any wires come off.

Is the switch a generic rocker switch or is there something special? best to call heartland, having my Vin ready, and get it from them or can I go to a place like tweetys and order it on line?

danemayer

Is the switch a generic rocker switch or is there something special? best to call heartland, having my Vin ready, and get it from them or can I go to a place like tweetys and order it on line?
Generic. Tweety's should have it. I would think any local dealer parts dep't would also have it.

Greengas

Re: Slide Won't Open - Interesting Update

So, at the last update, the kitchen slide was out thanks to everyone's guidance, a 1/8" allen wrench, and trial and error finding the right valve. Fast forward to today. We are ready to pack up and head back home. So, I boldly press the button to move the kitchen slide back in (we labeled the buttons so we know which is which) and the slide sure enough starts to move. But wait! It's not the kitchen slide but the curb side slide. I stop, and make sure I am pressing the right button and sure enough I am. So I figure what the heck and continue pressing the kitchen slide button watching the curb side slide move in. When it is fully in, I continue pressing the button and now the kitchen slide moves. Ok, that's fine for now. I figure I must have left a valve open when I was doing my trial and error stuff. Stay with me now, it gets better! All slides in and its time to raise the gear and hitch up to my wonderful Anderson hitch. I go to the control box, rear gear up. All is good! I back up the truck and go to raise the front. I am hearing the right noises, but the rig is not moving up. I keep pressing the button figuring maybe again, I messed something up and sure enough, the rig starts to move up, very very slowly. I then took down the sides of the rig and just like they are supposed to in my mixed up valve world, both the curb side and kitchen slides are fully out. Now the rig starts moving up at normal speed. Sarah goes in side, closes both slides (using one button, and not the right now but hey, at this point...) we hitch up, and off we go. I park the rig (expertly I might add) at our parking spot and raise it to get it off of the hitch. Up it goes and all looks good. Until I notice that the kitchen slide is out again. My wife is inside clearing out the fridge and I ask her, hopefully, if she moved the slide out and she says, nope. She thought I did it and I guess I did. So, the slide was put back, and all is well.

Clearly, I did not close some of the valves. I think what happened is the bottom ones, being upside down, counterclockwise is clockwise. I will work that when I take the rig out Wednesday night to get to the rally in Ft Collins. This entire incident should make for some interesting camp fire discussion, aided of course by the promised Single Malt Scotch!

Greengas

Ronn,

You understand the problem - valves are open.

Yep, I was able to figure that one out, but the story is just sooooo good and in the end, it all worked.

Thanks again for helping guide me, as always, through my learning. I appreciate it more than you could ever know.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Slide Won't Open - Interesting Update

I will work that when I take the rig out Wednesday night to get to the rally in Ft Collins.

This entire incident should make for some interesting camp fire discussion, aided of course by the promised Single Malt Scotch!

Of course, no Single Malt Scotch until this is all fixed up by all the guys at the rally. :p

See you there Thursday around noon! :cool: