stabilizers in middle (left & right) of FW

patrick1945

I have noticed a # of FW with "screw type" stabilizers in the middle (left & right) on the frame.

We have a new 3055 and in addition to the front landing gear and rear stabilizers we also have a tri-pod stabilizer.

Do these middle stabilizers work? And those that work-what are the type and where did you get them?

jtcfishing

Patrick Hello,We have been fulltiming since Oct. I just installed some of the jt style stabilers and let me say they are great. A week after, I purchased some of the screw up stands you are talking about to put on the frame in front of the wheels.It is a long span from front to rear jacks so I thought they may help with the tire bounce that you feel ,they really work! I put them on stack blocks and tight to the frame.Hope this is the answer you were looking for,Hope to see you down the road.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If we set up for any length of time ( several weeks or more) I use the aluminum camper style jacks both in front of and after the axles. I go to a home store and spend 5 bucks on concrete blocks to set the jacks on and leave them at the campground when we leave. It sure helps eliminate frame flex.

jimtoo

Yep, the jacks work. We have a 3055 and I have installed the scissor jacks just in front of the front axle tires on the frame. I have had these jacks on 3 different units and they do work. The one on the door side is installed right behind the door steps and the other is installed just in between the tire and sewer hose connection. It's at a little bit of angle, but still works good. They take the flex out of the middle of the frame I think.

Jim M

irvin56

What I built and now use

Upon arrival at camp site I backed into site, leveled sideways above axles.
unhooked and put out slide, left front down ½ bubble or more.
Put my blocking under back stabilizers, put stab down just snug on top of blocking. I only have to lower stabs about 2 inchs.
Raised the front end up above center of bubble. Putting weight on back stabs. Run my front ones down snug onto blocking and lowered front down to level. no movement.
I then put 2- 4x6 blocks down just in front of front axle and put another stab
On blocking and snuged it up to frame and then gave it one full turn.
Taking the movement out of spring setup. Did this to both sides
Absolutely no side movement, and VERY little forward movement as I put wheel chocks behind both side wheels backed into them, then put ones in front of front wheels and let off brakes. Rolling forward onto chocks

We had major side winds on Sunday and trailer DID NOT MOVE AT ALL.

Last year I found the trailer quite unstable and wondered why my old prowler was rock solid. Over winter I finally realized it was lower to ground My blocking was closer to frame.

Realizing when the stabs are down all the way the trailer is standing on tooth picks (stabs lowered all the way to ground.) with no control of rock
When no space the arms of stabs are at a lot wider stance, and movement is being forced to hold still.
Works the same way as the JT strong arms but much, mush cheaper and taking the bounce out of the suspension works GREAT

Stabilizer blocking I built.

4- milk grates
4- 4x6 treated wood- 3 feet (cut into 9” lengths)
16- 2 x 2 wood -12 foot long or 2- 6 foot long (cut into 9” lengths)
12- 3/8 plywood - 1 sheet (cut into 11-3/4” x 11-3/4”) square,
may have to trim to fit inside milk crate.

As the bottom already has a hard plastic bottom for distributing and supporting weight.
I used 1 piece of plywood on bottom.
Screwed 1-2x2 upright on each corner, 4 total each crate. I then screwed 1-4x6 in centre (standing upright) of plywood.
Then I put 2 pieces of plywood on top and screwed them to bottom base.
This whole thing slips into milk crate.

When milk crates break, can just take out assembled block and put into new crate
Built up spacer for stabilizers and light weight. When assembled it sits down about ½ inch from top of crate and can stack on top of each other for storage

left over plywood can use for blocking and also if muddy or soft ground can put under milk crate to keep crate from sinking into ground and making mess with dirt stuck to bottom.

I bought 10 feet of 4x6 treated and cut the rest into 1 foot lengths, and use for side (3rd) stabilizers in front of wheels, as previously stated.

Peteandsharon

I think you are pretty much getting the picture. Most fivers are supported at both ends but there will be flexing going on in the frame. It doesn't take much to be noticeable. By supporting the rig in the middle you cut the amount of flexing down considerably and it makes for a more stable unit. It will reduce the up and down flexing as well as side to side wiggle. Besides, it is a very cheap solution. The aluminum stackers are very inexpensive. Even the scissor jacks like Jim has are pretty cheap and they work.

nscaler2

If we set up for any length of time ( several weeks or more) I use the aluminum camper style jacks both in front of and after the axles. I go to a home store and spend 5 bucks on concrete blocks to set the jacks on and leave them at the campground when we leave. It sure helps eliminate frame flex.
Hey Ray. What type of aluminum style jacks are you referring to. Are they something that you got on camping world. We plan to be in the same place for about 3 months this summer and have JTs but would like to support it in the middle like you are referring to. Thanks in advance
Tom :)

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I used aluminum stackers this past weekend at winchester bay in oregon for the first time. They made a world of difference. the front one just in front of the steps where the frame is lower (BH). the back ones just behind the axle on some blocks because the frame is a lot higher. I did use four strackers across from each other. I was amazed as I don't have Jt struts. Try it I think you too will be amazed and the stackers are only about $40.00. I think if you can just take some weight off the axles and tires it will help, my belief is this is where most of the movement comes from.