Suburban Hot Water Tank Failure

Duramax1

After 6 years of usage, approximately 2-3 months annually, the hot water tank in our Sundance developed a pin hole corrosion leak on the bottom of the tank.

I am disappointed with the short life span.

The anode rod was replaced whenever necessary.

Dragoon

Sorry to learn of your problem. We've used ours for 6 years plus now - constantly (we're full-time) and it's still going. We've changed the anode rod as needed also, check it twice a year. Will be keeping a close eye out for leakage. Our previous rig also had a Suburban water heater, it went 10 years (traded rig) for us without a problem (again full-time). Maybe we've been just been lucky. Safe travels...

hriker

Our rig is just over 3 years old and just this past month we developed a pin hole in our suburban hot water tank. The hole developed in the burn chamber. We full-time in our rig and flush the tank twice a year and check the condition of the anode rod. We believe the tank liner failed causing the tank to rust from inside out. The RV repair tech contacted suburban and got them to provided a new tank without warranty because it failed 2.5 months after their 3 year warranty expired. I watched the entire replacement process and it was not difficult. If you are handy you can easily replace it. Sorry this has happened and good luck with the replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

wdk450

I wonder if the frequency of these hot water heater tank pinhole leaks could be lessened by using the gentle, immersion electric heater element as much as possible instead of the open-flame-heating-the-tank-metal propane burner often?

Dragoon

I wonder if the frequency of these hot water heater tank pinhole leaks could be lessened by using the gentle, immersion electric heater element as much as possible instead of the open-flame-heating-the-tank-metal propane burner often?

You may be correct about this. We've used electric almost the entire time we've had this unit and the one before. Will be interesting to see how many others have experienced the same thing...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you've ever tried to relight the burner too quickly after a lock-out, you'll see just how much rust there is in the burner tube...after the boom. It will be piled up against the outside cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

The first tank problem I ever had was on my present unit just under two years old. Developed a pin hole leak at a weld on top of the tank. It is an Attwood and was replaced under warranty. I use electric 90 % of the time.

wdk450

Is this a banging down the road issue? It seems home water heaters last over 10 years or more, The one in my house was over 30 years old when I left it.

danemayer

Is this a banging down the road issue? It seems home water heaters last over 10 years or more, The one in my house was over 30 years old when I left it.
Not sure, but I thought home water heaters had glass linings. RV water heaters have metal linings - I assume glass wouldn't survive.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Maybe it's just the water in certain parts of the country. Montana has very high sulpher content in the water in some areas.

wdk450

Not sure, but I thought home water heaters had glass linings. RV water heaters have metal linings - I assume glass wouldn't survive.

If the glass lining is bonded to the metal tank, I wouldn't think anything short of a hammer blow would break the glass. I recall a recent "Modern Marvels" TV show where they showed how home water heaters are made. As I recall, the metal tank is made first, then ceramic powder is put into the tank. the whole assembly is heated an rotated in a furnace, the ceramic powder melts into glass lining the interior of the tank, and the assembly is then cooled.