Summer Camping Plans

RnRCycloner

Well I guess I have put a kink in my camping for a little while.. While doing yard work at home base I fractured my right foot. Didn't fall, trip, or drop anything on it. Just dumping some debris, had good footing, felt and heard foot pop then the pain... I should have been camping...

Lessons learned:
Yard work can inflict injury, even if it is not very strenuous.
When ER puts you on fast track, does not mean fast.. (6 hours there)

So now I have my driving foot fractured, could use my spare... On crutches and yard work is still not done.... I should have been camping....

I'm really not complaining, I'm too blessed to be depressed...
I'll see the doctor tomorrow for follow up.. Recovery time shouldn't be long...

Happy camping

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
In case anyone is interested, here are Debra and my current plans for trips thru early summer. We would love to have anyone who would like to join up with us for all or part of any of these trips:

Apr 29-May 3, Ocean Lakes Campground, Myrtle Beach, VA
May 15-17, Virginia Samboree, Beth-Page Campground, Urbanna, VA
June 5-7, American Heritage Campground, Williamsburg, VA

We'll probably also sneak a weekend at the Fredericksburg KOA in there somewhere (I'll post that when we decide the date)

If you have trips planned and would like to share them with other chapter members, post them on this thread. It would be nice to have little mini-rallies every now and then.

Gus and Debra

Hi, just added the following to our "planned" list: Aug 13-16, Pennsylvania Chapter HOC Rally.

fordtech 2008

our first trip out will be may 1-3 at the race in richmond,then memoral day weekend at holiday trav-l park in va beach,then in june 19-27 disney world,fortwilderness campground,fall rally on the outer banks sept. 25-27.

Last edited:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
FORDTECH where are you camping at Richmond? At the track or at a local campground? We are going but we stay at Hidden Acres Campground in Bowling Green. It's about a 20 minute back road ride to the track. They also provide bus transportation to the speedway. This allows us to sleep well and enjoy the weekend.:D

Clark

We will have our Bighorn down in Virginia during mid-May, at Creekside over the weekend of May 8th and 9th. Then on Sunday the 10th we will pull over to the Outdoor World preserve at Williamsburg until Sunday the 17th. Creekside will be in company with our Maryland Good Sam chapter, the Williamsburg week will be just for us. Be nice to see a Heartland in there somewhere.
Clark

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Other than a few few friends meeting with us to camp at our farm in Selmer Tn. we only have one trip planned to Petit Jean State Park near Morrilton Arkansas May 8-9. Our big trip is in Sept. to Camping on the Gulf in Destin Fl. I miss the beach.

Jim & Harriet

camping and great music

if anyone might be camping in the area, there is an all day bluegrass festival on saturday, may 2nd in portland, tn. we will be there...:)
it is an all afternoon - evening event. bring a lawn chair and your own picnic. let me know if you are interested and i can send the exact location.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Saundra and I will be attending the National Rally in Goshen 6/8-6/15, then the next trip will be to McGregor ON on 7/1-7/5 for the Ontario Rally, then finally to St. Ignace on 8/27-30 for the Michigan Rally. We will probably work in a camping trip to Ludington MI and Harrison MI sometime during the summer.

Then, it's back to Tiki Village in Lakeland FL for the winter.

Go Detroit Tigers!

Hudson

We will have our Bighorn down in Virginia during mid-May, at Creekside over the weekend of May 8th and 9th. Then on Sunday the 10th we will pull over to the Outdoor World preserve at Williamsburg until Sunday the 17th. Creekside will be in company with our Maryland Good Sam chapter, the Williamsburg week will be just for us. Be nice to see a Heartland in there somewhere.
Clark

There's going to be a rally at *Creekside* ... you mean in Edinburg? That's like a couple of miles from my house. And I've heard that it is very tight ... and that from people with a smallish trailer. I'd love to see a Big Horn get into there. But if you do get it you are in a beautiful location, right on the creek and right in town.

Jim & Harriet

creekside

that is a small campground, but the location is very nice. when we visited there were one or two big rigs and a large coach. i wondered how they were able to get in the space, but they managed...

any new info on a fall rally for the virginia group yet?:)

tkrejdl

We will be camp hosting in Chadron State Park in Nebraska the first 2 weeks of Aug. If you are in the area stop by and say Hi.

Clark

Jim and Hudson, Thanks for the tip. I passed along your comments about Creekside in Edinburg, VA to my Chapter Wagonmaster. They have a 5W about the same size as my BH3055RL and had been to Creekside last year. They didn't feel that they had any problems with size, so I'll give it a try. Appreciate the tips thought and I'll pull in to the CG with my eyes open.
Clark

Hudson

Sanibel Island, FL

We are going to Sanibel Island in Florida for a week early June. The CG is not on the water but is nearby. If you aren't familiar with Sanibel this is a place to hunt for shells. Also the sand is supposedly so fine it's like talcum powder. I've heard that it is so white (and since it is so fine), it is not as hot to walk on as regular sand.

June is the beginning of their off season so it will be warmer but we don't care really.

Along the way we will make two over night stops in each direction to keep the driving to less than 8 hours per day. We will stop at South Of The Border in each direction for sure since it is such an excellent value. When going to Disney we usually make our other stop in Jax but this time we might try for something a little farther south (at least on the southbound trip) to maximize our time at Sanibel.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email or a "private message" and I can fill you in on the details.

Oh, and if you know anything interesting about Sanibel Island that I might want to know, please let me know too.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Debra and I are off to Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach, SC Wednesday morning for five days:). We'll be celebrating our 33rd anniversary:D there on May 1st. Looking forward to the camping:), but not to the 8 hour drive:(.

cjhicks

Bass Lake ,Passport America

We are going to Sanibel Island in Florida for a week early June. The CG is not on the water but is nearby. If you aren't familiar with Sanibel this is a place to hunt for shells. Also the sand is supposedly so fine it's like talcum powder. I've heard that it is so white (and since it is so fine), it is not as hot to walk on as regular sand.

June is the beginning of their off season so it will be warmer but we don't care really.

Along the way we will make two over night stops in each direction to keep the driving to less than 8 hours per day. We will stop at South Of The Border in each direction for sure since it is such an excellent value. When going to Disney we usually make our other stop in Jax but this time we might try for something a little farther south (at least on the southbound trip) to maximize our time at Sanibel.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email or a "private message" and I can fill you in on the details.

Oh, and if you know anything interesting about Sanibel Island that I might want to know, please let me know too.
Hudson, If you are a member of Passport America, there is a Campground located on 95 before you get to South Of The Border, it is Bass Lake Campground, Dillon SC, $12.50 per nite full hookups . It is a small, but very clean Campground with new owners. It is easy to get in and out. Enjoy Fla. we will be heading for Maine for the month of July.

Calvin & Judy

Hudson

Passport America

Actually I'm not a member of Passport America or any other discount group (other than sometimes I buy a KOA or Good Sam card if it pays for itself on a trip).

But I have been thinking about it. So far this year I've got five full weeks of camping planned and am looking into a few three-day trips. I should probably join one of those half price clubs.

jbeletti

Hudson,

Don't buy PPA yet! Your Heartland Owners Club Kit is shipping this week and in it will be a certificate to join PPA for cheap :)

Jim

MD Buck

You might wanna try the Yogi Bear Resort near Williamsport. It is only about 5 miles to Hagerstown and is very nice. Live in the area and would recommend this one.

jmaguire

I think thats where we are going to go. Thanks and I will let you know when we are going when we figure it out.