Thank you heartland!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are in our ninth year of fulltiming living...six years of that in a Bighorn and this past year in our 2013 Landmark. NEVER in our wildest dreams did we ever think we would be stuck anywhere in -3 degree temps...but here we sit, waiting to start work in McMinnville, TN!!:mad:

With only the additional use of the factory installed fireplace and one oil-filled electric radiator we have stayed amazingly comfortable. We are having NO problem keeping the temp inside to a nice warm 69 degrees...AND the furnace is only cycling once every hour for 15-20 minutes!! I really was afraid we would burn through propane very quickly, but that has not been the case, and there are no drafts to speak of. The large slide where the recliners sit is colder, especially near the floor, but I placed the radiator between my recliner and the table...solved that issue!

We do have dual pane windows and the yetti package...in addition, we did stuff batten insulation in the UDC, both propane compartments and the inside rear area of the outside entertainment center (one area that the factory needs to look at...not insulated at all)...did not want frozen water anywhere or the propane system to stop functioning...better safe than sorry. Everything has worked perfectly!!

We always knew these Heartland rigs would do well in cold temps, however, never wanted to be a test "dummy"...LOL:)

Thanks Again Heartland for making us such a wonderful rolling home!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That's awesome Kathy. Hope you and Ken are doing well. Freezing here in Ohio.

kakampers

Amazing! It's almost as cold here as in OHIO!!! Just checked...I used McMinnville as it was the closest town...we are actually in Rock Island, TN...the temp here is -6 degrees!! God, I don't ever remember temps like this, even when we lived in Maryland...come on spring!!

dave10a

I sure do burn a lot of propane keeping mine warm here in Florida when it gets 27-35. The bed room area get toasty but the living area is a challenge and seems always chilly. I run the electric fire place in an attempt to keep the chill off -- but then my electric bill get up there. I can not imagine sub-zero weather.

kakampers

Yeah...not sure I want to see my electric bill either...LOL...but it is definitely cheaper than refilling the propane every couple of days. They are forecasting we will be above freezing during the day starting tomorrow...will drop the electric usage considerably.

kakampers

I think the oil-filled radiator is really helping...we can move it around the coach depending on where we are spending our time. It's thermostatically controlled and I don't think it uses as much electric...

pegmikef

I think the oil-filled radiator is really helping...we can move it around the coach depending on where we are spending our time. It's thermostatically controlled and I don't think it uses as much electric...

If the radiator is like the ones I use in the garage and greenhouse, then the low setting is 750W (.75 kwh) and the high setting is 1500W (1.5 kwh).

kakampers

As some of you may know, we seriously looked at several different manufacturers when we were looking to upgrade from the Bighorn...we finally narrowed it down to the Landmark and a Mobile Suite. Obviously we choose the Landmark, but sometimes, as we all do, we spent the last year occasionally second guessing that decision. Well today, we had that decision validated!!

We are in a small campground, and the only other people here are a working couple with a year old Mobile Suite...as I mentioned earlier, last night the temps dropped below zero...we had no issues. Woke up this morning and everything was fine and working. This afternoon we got a knock on the door and discovered that our neighbor's husband is away for several days and that she had been without water since early morning...we were, to say the least, shocked. Even the pump would not come on and draw water from the onboard tank, which did have water.

DH and I investigated and discovered, that even though their furnace was running and cycling as it should, the much touted water manifold that DRV puts in their units had...wait for it...frozen SOLID!! Even with their 0 degree guarantee and supposed superior insulation...yep...frozen. It is in the bay behind the wall and the UDC, and you could even see some insulation underneath in the belly.

Needless to say we were stunned...we got a heater, thawed it out and took some insulation and wrapped the manifold...they should be OK tonight....hopefully.

So VERY happy we chose the Landmark...:)

jbeletti

...Needless to say we were stunned...we got a heater, thawed it out and took some insulation and wrapped the manifold...they should be OK tonight....hopefully. So VERY happy we chose the Landmark...:)

Kathy - thanks for sharing your Landmark story and thank you for helping out a fellow RVer, regardless of brand. It really goes to show the spirit and heart of Heartland owners.

kakampers

We felt really bad for her...wish she had come over sooner.

We were really stunned...we figured if we were fine the MS would be doing even better...still can't understand why it froze.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a wonderful ambassador for RV'ers you two are. And welcome back to the Volunteer State. How long are you going to be here this time?

kakampers

Hey Byrd...we are back again for another 6-8 months...this time doing Smithville and parts north. Staying in the same little campground...