towing gas mileage

pegmikef

Just towed 2011 North Trail 26LRSS (8500 pounds loaded) with 2011 F250 6.7L Power Stroke from San Angelo, TX to Mesa, AZ (850 miles).

Day 1: 15 - 30 mph head/cross winds, moderate terrain. 10.6 MPG
Day 2: 25 - 40 mph head winds, moderate/hilly terrain. 9.7 MPG
Day 3: 0 -5 mph cross winds, some hills, mostly flat. 14.1 MPG

So, yes I'd say wind has an affect!

Last edited:

rebootsemi

Someone mention fish stories?

Here's one:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/..._His_2002_F-350_Super_Duty.html?=ontopiccnews

He claims to get 20 mpg when towing.

We just made our first long trip (we went ~250 round trip), and averaged around 10.5 towing. We get 14-16 when not towing (city vs hwy). Our '08 F350 is 'new to us' with 50k miles on it, so we're still learning about how it likes to run. But it definately likes to pull the ElkRidge!

There is no way he can get 20 mpg, maybe in his dreams! I had a 03 Ford 350 manual OD trans with a service bed, weight was around 10500 and the best was 15-16 with a tail wind.

Riverman

I was a little disappointed with our mileage last weekend @ 10.5
Today I glanced under the front of the trailer to see the underbelly had fallen in the center - creating what Im sure would be some nasty wind drag.

ATT22591.jpg

wolfrat1

i have an 05 f250superduty crew cab. 5.4l engine towing a 30rlss. average anywhere from 6 to 9 mpg. on a really flat road, maybe 10mpg. i'm very surprised that the 5.4l pull as strong as it does.

Birchwood

Towing the Pinehurst with a 1 ton Duramax dually I get anywhere between 7 and 14 mpg and thats a Canadian
calculation.Most times I look down its at 11 mpg .I used to have a truck like yours with a 6 litre and got 13 mpg
unloaded.Used to tow a large smowmoble trailer with it and the milage was aweful.You may not like going all over
with your Chev but would be ok for the occasional trip but I did have a friend haul his 30 ft Wildcat to Alaska
from New Brunswick with an 07 like yours.

wdk450

I know that this does not directly address the question asked, but I though I would share my 2004 6.9 Cummins Dodge Ram mileage. This is the 6 cylinder Cummins. I have gotten 22 MPG without the trailer on flat freeway driving at 65 MPH, and 12 MPG under the same conditions towing the 16K GVW 38 foot Bighorn at the California maximum towing speed of 55 MPH.

jpdoggett

There is no way he can get 20 mpg, maybe in his dreams! I had a 03 Ford 350 manual OD trans with a service bed, weight was around 10500 and the best was 15-16 with a tail wind.

Maybe it was all down hill I had a 7.3 non-turbo and it never got 20mpg by its self let alone towing, I have a 2005 F350 4-door dully and I have got 19 mpg by it's self and towing a 34' fifth wheel about 9 mpg is the best I have ever got, it is stock all but the air cleaner

mmomega

AnyTimer
This past weekend was the 1st trip towing our Key Largo with the new truck and I was following others, ended up doing 75-80mph most of the way and I still managed about 10.3mpg. Quite a bit of this was some rolling hills to climb too.

My real test will be in 2 weeks, I'll be towing from TX to SC alone so I'll see how that goes.

lwmcguir

We average about 12 towing in all kinds of roads with 65 mph targeted most of the time. Very happy with that as it is the best we have ever got.

caissiel

Birchwood
Nice to see an other NBer on here
Welcome.

I get great mileage towing my BC with the standard F250 6.0l diesel. I had roads so rough on the east coast this week that while traveling 45MPH on high I saw 20 uphills to 28MPimpG on flat ground, on my scangauge calibrated after 3 fuel tanks. It was flat road and lots of bumps that I could not go more then 45MPH. Its not my truck that is so great its the BC that is a great performer as of MPG.
On the same roads with my 6cyl Ranger 1/4ton I could not get 15MPimpG with our first small 5th wheel.

For info, 1 ImpG is 6/5 USG.

wdk450

Yep.... I too have an auxilary fuel tank. I have a combination 50 gal/tool box tank. It sure makes it nice. I can wait until I find a easy IN-OUT fuel stop. I also use Frantz toilet paper fuel filter on my Duramax.... It works great... I've cut open the factory filters, and found them to be totally clean..... the roll of toilet paper does a really good job of filtering.

Snakebite

Snakebite:
About the Frantz filter. Are you aware that toilet paper is DESIGNED to disintegrate when exposed to water? Plumbers give toilet paper a 30 second immersion disintegration test. If you get water in your fuel, what happens then???