Traveling with a Residential Refrigerator

GWRam

Our two batteries were connected properly as diagrammed by Brazos. Next step will be for us to check all the cable connections as suggested. There are so many wires in there that it's a bit intimidating. We have the Magnum Energy Pure Sine Wave Inverter installed, but there is nothing on it that shows how this is working (or not working). Is there another charging unit that I should be looking for too?

I'm not sure which model Magnum Inverter you have or where it is located. I think ours is the CSW1012. If it is installed per instructions the end with the cable lugs and bolts will be facing up. The end with the outlet on it will be facing down. The low end of the inverter has the AC outlet, the usb port, remote plug and LED readout which cycles through a display showing the battery voltage and output amps. This same display is where any error codes will be shown if any internal errors happen. Our LED screen cannot be viewed as installed. I put my phone in video mode and and video the display every now and again to see what it shows.

We travel on the inverter all the time, 6-8 hours on the road and then sometimes overnight followed by another 6-8 on the road before plugging in the unit to a AC power source. Batteries stay charged just fine from tow vehicle. We still have the factory batteries. I believe upgrading batteries and adding solar are in our future. I also think your problem is probably something as simple as your charger/converter may not be working correctly. If you were getting enough powere from your tow vehicle to power your slides your tow vehicle is getting power to the trailer. Power to your 12V on your camper doesn't mean that the charger/converter is sending any of the power to your batteries to recharge. When you have the unit plugged into 120V the Charger/converter may then be doing their job and recharging the batteries.
Short version: I would look at your converter charger. I think that is the key to your problem.
Dave

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I think everyone has dissected this HOC members show up. one had a problem with the res fridge killing the battery, turned out the lead wire to the truck was bad.