Traveling with your dog

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The back half of our vehicles belong to tucker and they are NOT leaving the yard without him.

Attachments

• tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33

StephenKatSea

We have a Newfoundland, very large breed and a fantastic traveler & companion. We purchased a "Giant Breed" crate for her when she was a pup (she's now 10). The crate is her "Newf Cave". She rides, in her crate in the fold down rear seat area, right behind us. Crating is safest and best for her and us. When we arrive at our destination she is free to roam, greeting visitors and other pooches on her long lead attached to a forward leg of our 3670. And she has "her spots" in the RV - foot of our bed, kitchen floor and in front of the fire place, to name a few.

Crumgater

Our fur-kids also get the back seat sans harness or crate.
When we bought our first truck... 15 years ago, we had to get a king cab, so our 180lb rott/shep/pyranees mix could have space to sit inside with us.

Our new truck is a crew cab, so the dogs get their own doors, now, too. We flip the back seats up, fold down the platform and put down a non-skid pad topped with a fur-covered foam pad, and the dogs hop right in. Once we get rolling, the older one (Zedd, the brown one) likes to watch out the window (for a while, anyway), but the younger one (3 yo in the picture) just passes out. Great travelers!

We put a flannel bed sheet over the seats to control some of the hair... but still need to find some seat covers for the back of the front seats... There's always more hair!

We also have a "no-spill" travel water bowl for them (shown in the picture with the black dog, Chase), so they can have water in the back seat of the truck. It works well - unless they step on it and flip it up-side-down... then it WILL spill.

They know not to get out of the truck until invited to do so. But, a harness would be a good idea to keep them safe in case of an accident.

PS - We found a new home for Chase due to some other issues, so Zedd will be getting the back seat to himself now.
P1000972a.jpgP1000973a.jpg P1000733.jpg

porthole

Retired
Until last year, Suzi was able to hop up in the front of the truck and go through the buckets to her spot in the back. ......She's almost 15 now and because she hates being picked up, she won't go near the truck.

Ray, you can see in the video our Misty (RB) couldn't jump anymore either. And although she hated to be picked up, she would relinquish to my quick scoop and pick - she would not miss going camping!

For short trips I use one of the "sling" type rear seat covers I got from Duluth Trading.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/seat-protector-scouts-seat-saver-32006.aspx?kw=pet seat cover&processor=content

For longer trips the pups have a custom made bed for the rear of the truck. I first cover the entire rear seat with a piece of marine vinyl someone gave me.
I made up a PVC "barrier" that i wire tie between the front seat head rests to keep them in the back.

Attachments

• Barrier_2.jpg
    Barrier_2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 40

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Jamie
I would recommend taking along a supply of the same water you are using at home to avoid any tummy issues on your trip. Also, the Easy Walk Harness is a great harness to consider when the pup gets bigger. Dogs slip out of the collars very easily and you certainly wouldnt want that to happen.
Take a copy of any records you have and keep them in your truck.
Are you crating the puppy?
We cant wait to meet your new addition!
I know Madison must be over the moon but I know who is doing the majority of the work.
Puppies are a lot of work but once they grow up you will miss that silly land shark as we call them. (Puppy Teeth)
Duane and I are always available if you have any questions at all.
Have a great trip!!!

porthole

Retired
records - rabies tags on the colliers usually are not good enough for the campgrounds, we carry a couple copies of the vet's rabies certificate.

But, for the few times we did not have the copies each campground allowed us to register and get set up. We would just call our vet and have them fax a copy.

And if you cross the border up north (Kingston rally) you can't get in if you don't have the certs.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Guys. I appreciate ALL the help. I can't beleive how much work and how much fun this little ball of energy is. Good to know about the rabies certificate. As soon as she gets hers, I will put a copy in the truck. At what age do they get the Rabies vaccine. We will be at the Rally at Virginia Beach in May. She will be just over 5 months old. She should have her Rabies shots by then, I would think.

porthole

Retired
Jamie - you will find some controversy as to when and how often to vaccinate your new pup.

Find out what your municipality requires, talk to your vet for his/her take and do your own research.
Your local laws will most likely dictate the rabies issue. Do some research on the other vaccinations.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well, Our first trip is in the books. Last week, we had a weekend long trip to Hershey Pa. for a sports show. We took everyones advice and things went great. Lexi practically slept the entire trip. She was geat at the hotel. Only a little bit of wimpering when we had to leave for some seminars. Other then that, things went well. Can't wait to get her out in the North Trail.

Thanks again

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
BTW, If anyone is interested, we have a large fold-able pet ramp that we used briefly when Bear was alive. It worked great for him to get into the back seat of the truck and in and out of the 5er.

If anybody is interested contact me and I'll bring it to Wyoming in June. It's just sitting in storage and I'd make a fellow Heartland owner a good deal.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I agree with silverRhino our dogs wear seat belts also. would rather have them restrained in the truck than thrown out