Universal docking centers?

ChopperBill

Been thinking about the UDC. Seems like it is getting to be the standard on RV's but I am not so sure it the best. Most water tanks are above the axles. So now we have 10-20 plus feet of filler and vent hoses. AND more problems filling the tank. Wouldnt it be better to have the filler right where the tanks are with as short as possible hose run? TV hook ups are many feet away from the TV's. Now we have problems with the TV cables not working. Wouldnt it be better to have the TV connections at the TV locations using the shortest run possible to eliminate problems? Dump handles are many feet from the actually tank. Now we have dump cable problems. Would it not be better have the dump handles as close as possible to the dump valves? Santi-flush fittings are not near the black tank, running feet and feet of water lines to the tanks. Sure the UDC looks like a strong selling point but I am not so sure its the best way of doing things. Bet ya lots of problems would be solved if we went back to a simpler way of doing things.

brianharrison

Thanks for the thought prevoking thread. Reminds me of the KISS principle.

Unfortunately design of any system is a trade off for functionality, convenience, and consumer preference. In the words of my wise father, "you can please some of the people some of the time, and all of the people none of the time..."

My beef to date has been resolved with the new "Anderson valve" recently added by heartland (water tank fill complaints). Maybe other issues you identify will be resolved as heartland evolves design of the UDC and connected equipement. Kudos to heartland for listening to real life experiences and taking them into consideration...

I will be interetested in reading other responses.

Brian

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This biggest issue that I have seen really, with the UDC is the filling of the fresh water tank. Could they just put the vent hose somewhere else? Just a thought.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Lemme see. If they moved the valves closer to the tanks, then I'd have to crawl under a slide to dump the galley tank while on site. The black and lavatory tank valve would probably be reached through a big, nasty hole cut in the frame I-beam (some have already experienced that). The tank flush fitting would be on the outside wall someplace near the furnace outlet, or over the water heater. And I'd have a coax cable sticking in the sides of the rig, in two places. Meaning a splitter somewhere outside the rig. And I'd have a city water hose hanging off the side of the rig. As for the fresh water tank vent, it's not the location that's a problem, it's putting too much hose with too many low spots that's more the problem. With the different floorplans and slide configurations, where would you put the fill port so it's closer to the tank and above it?

In general, I don't think its a problem with the general design or idea of the UDC, but a problem with the execution of its assembly.

Duramax1

The UDC was a very important selling point for me when I purchased the Sundance. I wouldn't change anything about it.

But, as John Darr says, the execution of its assembly could be improved.

In my case, I experienced problems when filling the fresh water storage tank. My dealer determined that the cause of the problem was a kink in the vent line. I have not had any problem since it was fixed.

TedS

I like the UDC with valve controls and service connections in one place, but as mentioned, execution could be better. Pressure fill feature of the new UDC is a step up. The fresh water vent could be simply directed down and out the bottom of the trailer. It does not need to blow out from the UDC into my face.

ncc1701e

The central UDC on our Sundance was a selling point that I looked for verus another brand trailer in the same size range. I have to agree that the fresh water over flow vent should have been directed down and not into the UDC. I'd really think another great thing would be if the UDC actually had its own door so that you do not expose the entire basement when servicing the trailer. Mostly in cooler or warm weather you would not loose the heat. I've made a couple modifications to the UDC so I do not have to have an open hole in the bottom when hooked up. Just being open to the elements defeats some othe benifits of the UDC.

Birchwood

After two years of living full time in our Landmark the dump valves have been flawless and the docking station seems good.
For the fresh water tank fill system we have never had a drop of water in the tank to date.I must try the system along
with the pump someday.

57chevyconvt

In regards to John's comment about assembly, I experienced fresh water fill problems from the beginning. The dealer couldn't find, according to their tech, any problem with the fill line. I recently had to remove the colorplast to solve another problem, in so doing I found the fill line was almost completely pinched closed as it passed through the floor support beams. After I corrected the installation/assembly problem the fill line works perfectly. BTW, I did eliminate all the sags in the vent line that were filled with water preventing air movement. John, I believe you "hit the nail on the head". Correct assembly goes a long way in preventing such problems. For the record, I really like the UDC versus the other methods of connecting to the RV.

davebennington

We have had our "Classic" Landmark for 6 years now and there hasn't been any problems so far. The only thing I wish Heartland would bring back is the water manifold system.

Dave

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have had our "Classic" Landmark for 6 years now and there hasn't been any problems so far. The only thing I wish Heartland would bring back is the water manifold system.

Dave
No problems here. We have an 2005 "Classic" Landmark. We have had to replace a grey water tank cable but that is the only problem we have had.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The central UDC on our Sundance was a selling point that I looked for verus another brand trailer in the same size range. I have to agree that the fresh water over flow vent should have been directed down and not into the UDC. I'd really think another great thing would be if the UDC actually had its own door so that you do not expose the entire basement when servicing the trailer. Mostly in cooler or warm weather you would not loose the heat. I've made a couple modifications to the UDC so I do not have to have an open hole in the bottom when hooked up. Just being open to the elements defeats some othe benifits of the UDC.
Our 2005 "Classic" Landmark has the UDC behind its own door. It also has the water manifold. I can cut the water off to any locaton in our unit.

hoefler

Our 2005 "Classic" Landmark has the UDC behind its own door. It also has the water manifold. I can cut the water off to any locaton in our unit.

We have a "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, we have owned for 3 years now. We have had very little trouble with it as well. Now I have done a few mods that enable me to fill the fresh water tank a whole bunch easier: removed 2 of the 4 vents which enable me to get a full load of water and not loose it en-route to our destination, added a valve and some plumbing to pressure fill the fresh water tank with filtered water, re-enforce the mounting as to not loose the tank as well.

traveler44

The campground hook ups are usually in one area so you would have to run a water hose down along the side and a tv cable down farther. The cables and hoses in the fifth wheel would be neater but you would have to run the hoses and cables on the outside farther so it looks like it would be some kind of trade off and like somebody said I would rather have my hook ups at the single location and not having separate ports all over mine. If you remove the big round disk in the bottom of the UDC and fasten a plate down in the bottom you can drill and run hose extensions and a short piece of tv cable down and out the bottom. Then if you seal around the hoses and cable good you can avoid having ants crawl up your hoses and into your rig. You won't wear out the threads on those plastic hose hook ups this way too. Once I'm set up the only time I open the door to the UDC is to reach the dump handles.

Last edited:

wdk450

Besides an improved freshwater tank vent line, I would like the UDC to have a freshwater fill valve so you can do it directly from your city water connection and a repeater set of tank guages.

2psnapod2

As far as the tank fill, the new Anderson Valve I have seen that is now being used will do this. But an extra set of tank gauges that really don't work to well really would not do much for me.

ChopperBill

Enlighten me on this "Anderson valve"

Never mind, did a search. My secure-fill will basically do the same thing(pressurize the fill tube) to fill the fresh tank with out re-doing all the other plumbing.

ncc1701e

The campground hook ups are usually in one area so you would have to run a water hose down along the side and a tv cable down farther. The cables and hoses in the fifth wheel would be neater but you would have to run the hoses and cables on the outside farther so it looks like it would be some kind of trade off and like somebody said I would rather have my hook ups at the single location and not having separate ports all over mine. If you remove the big round disk in the bottom of the UDC and fasten a plate down in the bottom you can drill and run hose extensions and a short piece of tv cable down and out the bottom. Then if you seal around the hoses and cable good you can avoid having ants crawl up your hoses and into your rig. You won't wear out the threads on those plastic hose hook ups this way too. Once I'm set up the only time I open the door to the UDC is to reach the dump handles.

I pretty much did this with my manifold. I am working on some changes to this setup that I believe will make it even better. Here are a couple shots of the old setup. I do not have the new one completed yet.

Water Manifold Assembly-Not Glued.JPG Water Manifold Adapter Plate.jpg Water Manifold Installed 2.JPG Water Manifold Adapter Plate Stored.jpg

What was pointed out to me and I discovered was that for safety I needed to add an additonal check on the flush line. After some serious considerations, I actually cut that line out completely and am re routing it so there is no chance of cross contamination. Also, I failed to consider winterization and am fixing the lines for easy drain without having to remove them. When I'm all done i'll redo the photos. With the smaller Sundace UDC area it was a challenge to figure how to fit things in.

I was also concerned with the opening being open allowing unwanted visitors such as ants or others. The gasket on the bottom is an old mouse pad and a piece of rubber from a garage door seal glued to the plate. They seem to work really well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've posted photos a couple or more times, but I've also made a water manifold to fit in the UDC. Mine is connected to the black tank flush, as well. The original tank flush fitting port broke, so I replaced it with a city water port with a built-in brass check valve. So backwash is not a problem (the anti-siphon valve is still downstream from it). To close off the opening of the UDC, I cut a gasket from 2" thick foam with a slit for the hose to fit into. Have not had a problem with ants or critters crawling up the hose and into the rig.

2psnapod2

Enlighten me on this "Anderson valve"

Never mind, did a search. My secure-fill will basically do the same thing(pressurize the fill tube) to fill the fresh tank with out re-doing all the other plumbing.

Take a look at the link for info on the Anderson Valve.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/28055-Instructions-for-the-new-Anderson-4-way-Valve-in-UDC-for-LM-BH-BC-CY-amp-RW