Upgraded our mirrors

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all,

We were having issues with one of our side mirrors not adjusting, so we took the opportunity to upgrade to bigger mirrors. (The price was much lower when we purchased).

They look great and give us MUCH better view. Hope to tow with them next week.

IMG_5562.jpgold IMG_0028.jpgnew (they also extend)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Cool, those look the same as the OEM one's on my 2009 GMC. I like to keep the lower mirrors set so I can see the tires on the trailer on the inside edge of the mirror.

pegmikef

I guess the newer ones are all about the same because those look suspiciously similar to the ones on my F250. They look great and you will love the increased vision.

JeremyN

I have the exact same mirrors on my 2500HD and I love them. I will not get another truck without having these style mirrors on it. You can see so much. Like JohnDar said, I like to keep the lower mirrors on my tires as well.

brianharrison

The lower convex mirror on the Fords improves range of view and I use it to "see" that blindpsot before changing lanes. Not sure if the Chebbys lower mirror is convex , but looks like it in the picture.

Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
MIght also add that when pulling through the campground, I angle the electric portions upwards so I can watch the side/roof edge as I wind between the trees.

TravelTiger

Great ideas! We also had the larger style on our Tundra when we towed the North Trail.

On the mirrors we replaced, there was a small convex on the passenger side, and I used it (as the passenger) to watch tires and help with lane changes. These new mirrors should really increase the ability to see on both sides. The OEMs were nice, as you could automatically extend and retract, and they looked stylish. But just not as functional.

If you need just one, they sell them separately as well. We happened to find a REALLY good deal on the pair.

scottyb

I think you got a good deal on them. I had them installed on my 07 Chevy just before I got the Cyclone, and loved them. I lost the power folding function because it was not offered on the OEM towing mirrors in 07 MY. I truly believe I liked them better than the mirrors on my new Ford. I think they had much more vertical range than my Ford's and it is bugging me when backing into parking spaces.

Snow

I have a 250 also with the convex on the bottom do you keep them on the tv tires or the 5er tires or somewhere inbetween ??⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

olcoon

Looks great! I sometimes wonder why they even put those small mirrors on a truck. Makes no difference what kind of trailer you are pulling, it's hard to see the trailer, & not safe. "Most" people that have a truck use it as a truck & will pull some type of trailer at some time while owning it.

aatauses

They looked great---I have a 2005 and have been thinking about doing this---need some information:
Mine would power extend---do these do that?
I am not sure if I have heated mirrors---did you and are the new ones heated?
How was installation and how long did it take?
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

TravelTiger

They looked great---I have a 2005 and have been thinking about doing this---need some information:
Mine would power extend---do these do that?
I am not sure if I have heated mirrors---did you and are the new ones heated?
How was installation and how long did it take?
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

These do not power-extend, you manually pull them out.

We did not have heat on our originals, but these say they have heat. DH has read in the truck's owner's manual that the heating occurs when the rear defrost is turned on. Since we just installed this weekend and it's not been cold, we don't know if this works yet.

We just had a cold front come in and set record lows, so maybe tomorrow morning there will be something to "defrost".

DH watched a video on how to take the door panel off, and he bought a prying tool set at AutoZone. He didn't really have any issues... I only helped hold the new mirror up while he tightened the bolts. Took a few hours to do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brw549

I noticed that and have added some suspension bump stops to assist with possibility of sagging. As to the mirror issue I have to agree some of you. My Dodge came with every towing feature but tow mirrors and finding them for a 2012 Laramie is almost impossible. I purchase a set of the clip on /strap type mirror extensions. Hopefully they will not fly off..

sengli

I have 2011 chevy silverado 3500HD, with these same mirrors. They dont power extend. I had a pair of those strap on type with my former TV, which worked fine. These style mirrors are alot larger.

Eddhuy

Nice mirrors. They make a huge difference, on my F350 I have no blind spots on either side and can easily watch the tires on the FW for tracking.

This is from the California RV and Trailers Handbook "The RV or trailer's rear wheels should be visible in the convex mirrors to check for correct tracking." The section on mirrors uses the word should a lot except that they are required on both sides if the rear view mirror is obstructed by the trailer and you have to be able to see at least 200 ft past the trailer. Makes me wonder if the "should" is something that could be enforced?

ParkIt

If I decide to upgrade from the split chrome full bus size ones we have, I'll look into a set that are one piece but just as large...though I would miss the opportunity to smack some idiot on foot out of the way with the chrome ones we have.

wait, did I just say that out loud? ooopsss

TravelTiger

Well, we towed about 70 miles for a weekend getaway, and we are thrilled with them! Can see much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk