Views From Your Campsite

scottyb

Zion Watchman CG, 2011. (cloudy day) Trace

We had a reservation there last Oct. We cancelled it because we didn't allow enough time for it and decided to save it for our next trip. Now I want to go even more, but I want to plan a few days for hiking.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a reservation there last Oct. We cancelled it because we didn't allow enough time for it and decided to save it for our next trip. Now I want to go even more, but I want to plan a few days for hiking.

The first time I visited Zion in the early 90's I was on my way to Yellowstone. We drove through the park and were impressed.

When I first went back about 6 years ago, we spent a week there hiking and really exploring. I Changed my opinion to AMAZING!

The only way to see this park is to spend some time there and explore the park on foot. An often overlooked aspect of the park is "East Zion", which is between the north side of the tunnel and the east gate entrance.

This is only 40 minutes from our place in Kanab, where we spend 6-7 months of the year. Let me know when you come and maybe we can meet up, or at the very least I can give you some info. Trace

RobP

Scottyb
We are in San Antonio at Admiralty Rv Resort. Nice place, nice people but the traffic here is horrible!! I'm ready to head back to the mountains already!!

scottyb

The first time I visited Zion in the early 90's I was on my way to Yellowstone. We drove through the park and were impressed.

When I first went back about 6 years ago, we spent a week there hiking and really exploring. I Changed my opinion to AMAZING!

The only way to see this park is to spend some time there and explore the park on foot. An often overlooked aspect of the park is "East Zion", which is between the north side of the tunnel and the east gate entrance.

This is only 40 minutes from our place in Kanab, where we spend 6-7 months of the year. Let me know when you come and maybe we can meet up, or at the very least I can give you some info. Trace

That would be great. We are tentatively thinking about Oct again next year.

scottyb

Scottyb
We are in San Antonio at Admiralty Rv Resort. Nice place, nice people but the traffic here is horrible!! I'm ready to head back to the mountains already!!

Rob, I hear you. I am stuck with it here in Austin, but you on the other hand ...........................

Crumgater

Our favorite place is the Maryhill State Park in Washington... camp spots right on the mighty Columbia River, with Mt. Hood in the distance.
P1000143.jpgP1030803.jpgP1030837.jpg

Our two dogs, watching the river run at Maryhill:
P1000239.jpg
And... the next year... after a complete turn-over in canine companionship (not planned)... the new puppy, assuming the supervision duties:
P1030839.jpg

A tie for favorite place, is the University of Washington Husky Stadium parking lot... really can't beat the view!
P1080464.jpgP1080463.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was commenting on JohnD's photo.

That was indeed a real elk.

He was walking along the river across the river from our campsite.

Notice the building in both shots in the background:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg EstesParkElk2014-IMGP0732.jpg

The river and a long telephoto lens helped bring this guy up close.

BBslider001

I know Hilltop. The Sunrises aren't too bad either. Can't say I ever spent more than a night in Ft Stockton, headed somewhere else.

Hilltop RV, Ft. Stockton, TX

Nice shot Scotty. We were only going to stay overnight, but liked the owners and the park, so we stayed for a few days to swim in the pool, cook out, and watch the sun set. It was worth it. Ft. Stockton is just ok, but this place was good.

BBslider001

Scottyb

Rob, my wife and I stayed there for two days. It was nice, but yeah, the traffic is horrendous. Visit the riverwalk if you haven't already.

scottyb

Nice shot Scotty. We were only going to stay overnight, but liked the owners and the park, so we stayed for a few days to swim in the pool, cook out, and watch the sun set. It was worth it. Ft. Stockton is just ok, but this place was good.

I agree. We stop by there on the way to AZ. Did you check out Balmorhea Springs while you were there? It is a spring fed swimming pool a few mile west off I-10. Definitely worth a visit.

scottyb

No inappropriate comments Please! :eek:

Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 133

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No inappropriate comments Please! :eek:

Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT

Kodachrome is a well kept secret, off the beaten path.
As for that rock formation, I've seen it a few times and yep..... :eek: Trace

BBslider001

I agree. We stop by there on the way to AZ. Did you check out Balmorhea Springs while you were there? It is a spring fed swimming pool a few mile west off I-10. Definitely worth a visit.

I have not, but we are relocating to the Stephenville area in December, so we may have time to check it out! I am sure it will be on our list of places to explore. We went to Jacobs Well this past summer when we were visiting family. I am not gonna lie...I was not that impressed. We should have gone to Hamilton pools from what I was told. How was Balmorhea?

scottyb

Balmorhea has been a weekend destination since I was a kid growing up in west Texas. They just discovered deepest underwater cavern in North America near Balmorhea Phantom Cave. There is an upcoming Imax documentary about a recent exploration of it last year. Who would have ever thought that would be out there near Ft Stockton, eh?

I now live about 30 minutes from Hamilton Pool. It is impressive in a good year when the creek is flowing a lot. Jacobs well was something they talked about when i took my 1st dive class in 82. There have been several divers lost in there before the barred it off. What you can see from the surface is just the tip of the iceberg. Here's a video shot by the San Marcos Recovery team (not a recovery). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MoksxrudVE

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Along the Florida coast, Gulf of Mexico a month ago near the end of our fall outing. After this past week's cold I wish we were back there. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416792735.760933.jpg

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Spent the summer at Link Creek Campground (host) on Suttle Lake just a few miles from Sisters, Oregon. View was out our back window.
link creek 001.JPG

scottyb

Spent the summer at Link Creek Campground (host) on Suttle Lake just a few miles from Sisters, Oregon. View was out our back window.
View attachment 33336

Oregon is high on my list. I have a good friend that retired from the oregon Fish and Wildlife. He has a new place where we could hook up and knows the territory. That looks like an amazing place.