Water heater switch

ppieplow

I'm only on my 2nd trip....which heater switch do i need to turn on the 120v or the 12 v? I'm hooked up to shore power!!

jimtoo

I need to read better... the switch (like light switch) with the red light in your panel with all the other switches controls the 120v to water heater... but make sure it is full of water by running water through the system before you turn it on. There is also a switch on the water heater itself that controls the 120v...it could be off also,, but can be left on and use the switch inside.

The heater switch on the panel with tank levels is for propane to water heater.

Last edited:

hriker

The small red switch on the tank level panel is to run your water heater on propane /12volts. There is also a red light switch near that panel to run your water heater on 120 volts. If you are on shore power your can run the water heater on either 120 volts or propane or both if you want.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

happykraut

As the previous post states, you can turn on both switches at the same time. This is a acceptable practice if you want hot water real fast. After the water gets up to temp, turn off the 12V switch. If you're paying for your electric as I am currently doing as a Winter Texan, we turn the power to the hot water heater off and only turn it back on to take showers. Saves money.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pictures, pictures.
Somewhere, probably at your control/switch panel inside the coach, there should be a red light switch, as seen in the lower left of Photo 1. When operating on 120V, it will light up red. To run on 120V, the switch on the face of the water heater (if it's a Suburban) must be in the ON position (Photo 2). Some will have a pin holding the switch off. Remove it and turn it on. BE SURE THERE IS WATER IN THE TANK! To operate on 12V/propane, the small red rocker switch on right side of the monitor panel (Photo 3) needs to be turned on. Initially, the small red LED next to it will glow, but will go out when the propane fires up. If it doesn't go out, there is a problem with the water heater controls or there is still air in the gas line. Turn off and retry after a minute or two.

Yes, you can operate the water heater on 120V and propane at the same time for faster recovery. We normally just use the 120V on a seasonal site and run the propane system occasionally just to be sure it's working.

View attachment 28835View attachment 28836View attachment 28837

danemayer

Pictures, pictures.
Somewhere, probably at your control/switch panel inside the coach, there should be a red light switch, as seen in the lower left of Photo 1. When operating on 120V, it will light up red. To run on 120V, the switch on the face of the water heater (if it's a Suburban) must be in the ON position (Photo 2). Some will have a pin holding the switch off. Remove it and turn it on. BE SURE THERE IS WATER IN THE TANK! To operate on 12V/propane, the small red rocker switch on right side of the monitor panel (Photo 3) needs to be turned on. Initially, the small red LED next to it will glow, but will go out when the propane fires up. If it doesn't go out, there is a problem with the water heater controls or there is still air in the gas line. Turn off and retry after a minute or two.

Yes, you can operate the water heater on 120V and propane at the same time for faster recovery. We normally just use the 120V on a seasonal site and run the propane system occasionally just to be sure it's working.

View attachment 28835View attachment 28836View attachment 28837
I think on some of the newer builds, the 12V/LP switch may be separate from the control panel indicators. I've seen some that are larger black rocker switches that have a red led built into the switch.

Apart from that, we have some owner-written user guides that you may find helpful. Particularly the one on Water Heater Usage, and also the Water Systems Guide. Here's a link.

pegmikef

Here's the newer control panel and the switchs are the ones with the red lights marked 12 volt and 120 volt

Attachments

• control panel.JPG
    control panel.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 90