Water Pressure Rising -- REGARDLESS of Regulator

Prairiedog

I checked my Watts 263A Regulator today, which is normally set at 60, and it was at 100psi. I tried to adjust it and I couldn't get the pressure to reduce statically. Running pressure was fine and I could get that in the window, and then when I closed all the faucets -- the psi went back to normal...but over time, went right back up to 100psi. I tried about everything, to include taking the splitter off after it (I had a 2-way splitter for the garden hose). I got it so the line was isolated -- just the spigot...to the regulator...to the hose...to the RV. Nothing worked.

So I figured the Regulator was busted. I had a backup brand-new Valterra regulator that has the built-in gauge as well. I hooked it up the same way and set it at 60. Within an hour, it was up to 80psi, and apparently rising slowly.

I have been full-timing for over a year at the same place -- no problems like this at all. If it was just with the Watts regulator and the Valterra one worked, I could understand. BUT...BOTH of them allowing the pressure to rise has me worried.

Could something be wrong in my RV? I can't for the life of me figure out what would cause this with 2 very decent regulators.

Any help or thoughts would be awesome!

My thanks,
Rob

azbigfoot

Any chance the weather was hot? Not sure how hot it would have to be to increase the pressure but if the regulator is in the sun it might make a difference.

Prairiedog

***UPDATE***

Pressure isn't going up as high as it did yesterday with the Valterra, but I am just trying to get static pressure stability. Does anyone know if there is anything INSIDE the rig that would cause static pressure instability ON THE HIGH SIDE? I could understand how a leak could cause it on the low side (the equivalent of leaving a valve open), but on the high side...I have no idea.

Help? THANKS!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's possible the bourdon tube in the gauge has gotten weak and is flexing too much. Or there is some fluctuation in the CG water pressure.

Replacement gauges are available from the RV Water Filter Store for around $20. I froze one once by leaving it in the rig over the winter. It didn't like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedS

Just a thought, the hot water heater bypass valve is patially open and the hot water expands into to whole water system driving the pressure up.

Another test, put the regulator at the rv end of the hose. If the regulated pressure holds, the hose is heating up raising the pressure. If the pressure rises, it is the water heater raising the pressure.

JohnDar

That's about the only way I can think of the rig boosting the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aatauses

I have had the same issue with a Watts. You may try cleaning it?? I also heard from someone that if mounted too close to the water heater you will get some back pressure from there. Try mounting right at the CG water and see what happens.
al
currently in Gulfport, MS

SeattleLion

In a non RV application, we had this issue with a water heater. In a closed system, when the water is heated it expands. In our case we had a check valve to prevent water running back from the pipes into the hot water tank. We installed an expansion tank and all was well. It could be that the hot water heater is to blame.

JohnDar

Another thought on the hot water causing a rise in pressure at the regulator. The city water inlet has a check valve built in (at least mine does). It should prevent pressure in the rig's plumbing from backfeeding into the outside supply line and then the regulator. That's if it's working as it should.

Prairiedog

Thanks everyone -- have the pressure holding right now on the Valterra. Once I get the Watts clean, I'll try that and report back. Great advice from everyone, as usual. This forum is tremendous! My thanks, Rob