Water psi?

mobilcastle

What psi do you run. I have mine at about 45 through my watts regulator? I see Pex in new construction which I am sure is 60psi and sometimes more.
Thanks
Steve

danemayer

I'm running at 50psi. The Heartland manual warns to not go above 60.

I'm pretty sure the Pex itself can take additional pressure, but there are other things in your plumbing system that may not be as strong. Crimps, plastic fittings, plastic anti-siphon valves, faucets...

Garypowell

I run it somewhere between 45 - 50. One of the problems I have is there is such a variability in the supply pressure it always seems my watts regulator needs adjusting. And then it seems best to adjust it while water is flowing which means in and out of the rig a time or two.

I read about a lot of water leaks in others units....never had one in mine and always wonder if they don't pay attention to their water pressure.

aatauses

I run our Watts about 40-42. I have always had an issue with the Watts--this is actually the second one I had as Watts replaced the first one because the pressure would not hold or it could be adjusted both up and down (something that it should not do). I just check it every few days and adjust accordingly. Yes, I have cleaned it, replaces parts etc---just does not seem to hold a steady pressure.
al
currently in Deadwood, SD

Hunter11

I just walked out and checked our Watts and it is sitting on 47 psi. I try not to let it get above 50 psi.

bigdob24

I'm guessing a Watts is an adjustable pressure water regulator with a dial or digital read out?
It maybe something I need ;-)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Watts can be had with or without an analog gauge and is preset at 50 psi. You can change it, but why?

mobilcastle

I run it somewhere between 45 - 50. One of the problems I have is there is such a variability in the supply pressure it always seems my watts regulator needs adjusting. And then it seems best to adjust it while water is flowing which means in and out of the rig a time or two.

I read about a lot of water leaks in others units....never had one in mine and always wonder if they don't pay attention to their water pressure.

Do all of you set the pressure while the water is running? I set my gauge to read the head pressure when not running. Am I missing something here? The pressure drops when it starts to flow on my gauge-I thought that was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

Has anyone ever tried the inline unit from the RV Filter store? It's set for 55 psi with no adjustment needed. Seems like the perfect solution if it works. Speaking from experience, finding a hose in Jackson Hole on a Saturday or Sunday is dang near impossible. Extreme high pressure and I wasn't paying attention. Blew three connections in one shot. One was behind the washer/dryer and took an hour to get to it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is from the RV Filter Store FAQ section:

11. On a pressure regulator with a gauge, which pressure does the gauge read?
The pressure regulators we sell that have a gauge are adjustable. The gauge shows the regulated pressure, which is the pressure you'll get in your RV. The gauge enables you to set the exact pressure you want.

So, if you want more pressure into your coach, it would seem that you should adjust it with no water flowing in the rig. That way it's based on the pressure available in the CG system (the static pressure to your rig). If you adjust it with the water flowing, you'll be increasing it based on a lower residual pressure. And the more faucets you open, the lower that residual pressure reading will be. Turn off the flow and the pressure into the rig may be higher than what you were trying to set, which could cause you grief. Remember, the lines and fittings inside the rig will be pressurized to the static pressure when the faucet is turned off. It could be more than you want if you're in a high pressure system.

A simple line gauge (also available from RV Filter Store) on the end of your supply hose, or even on the pedestal spigot, will tell you what static pressure the CG is at and whether or not fiddling with your regulator will even do you any good. You can't set your regulator to deliver more than is in the CG distribution grid.

With my filter system, I have such a gauge on the input side of the filters, with the Watts at the output side. There is also a shut-off valve between the filters and the Watts. The input gauge tells me the CG pressure before I open the valve to the Watts and into my coach. But then, I've never adjusted the Watts from the 50 psi factory preset.

danemayer

Hi Dan,
Flow through rate is 50-55 psi. Older ones I believe were 40-45.
That's the pressure, not the flow. The cheap regulators may only allow a flow of less than one gallon per minute. A 20% improvement would be 1.2 gpm.

By comparison, the Watts 263 claims something like 4.5gpm. And your water pump probably delivers around 4gpm.

aatauses

Per the directions from Watts--you should adjust pressure when not running the water. You should then check it by running water, shutting water off, and the pressure should resume to where you set it---if not adjust accordingly.
al
currently in deadwood, SD

mobilcastle

You are correct. I emailed the company and they responded 11GPM which I do not think is correct. The prior owner of my rig left me one and I just tested it. It filled a 5 gallon bucket in one minute. It says 50 to 55psi on it. I guess I will use this if my watts goes bad. I do like the idea of stainless steel. My watts says it's flow through is 4 to 4.5GPM. So i guess they are about equal. Valterra tells you to install at the camp ground spigot to protect your hoses. I have never done that. IMG_2012.jpgIMG_2009.jpgIMG_2008.jpg
That's the pressure, not the flow. The cheap regulators may only allow a flow of less than one gallon per minute. A 20% improvement would be 1.2 gpm.

By comparison, the Watts 263 claims something like 4.5gpm. And your water pump probably delivers around 4gpm.