What did you do to your camper today?

danemayer

Changed the oil filter and the oil on the Onan generator.

First time I did this a few years ago, it was a horrible job. I destroyed the filter getting it out. Ripped my hands and wrists up pretty good too.

After that experience I picked up a set of oil filter end cap wrenches at Harbor Freight. A 3/4" socket with a couple of extensions makes removal of the old filter easy.

Took my time adding oil. After adding about 1.5 quarts, I turned off the generator circuit breakers and ran the genny for a minute to circulate the oil. Slowly poured some more. Ran the genny for another minute and got it to take the whole 2 quarts. And I remembered to turn the breakers back on.

chiefaret

Put a Christmas Tree in the slide out to give some spirit to the unit. Have to take it down tomorrow to tow the rig to Discount to get rid of the blowmax tires.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Winterized for the second time. Since we're not going to Florida anytime this winter, it will probably be the last time I'll have it out of storage until early Spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Replaced the fabric on the slide toppers today. I did the bedroom slide by myself. For the two large slides, Ann got up on the roof to help pull the fabric through while I fed it into the slots.

Our toppers were a bit over 4 years old and were showing some wear and tear. Two had started to rip. We probably put more wear on them than most with winter camping and heavy snowfall.

The new fabric was from ToughTopAwnings.com. Took about 6 days to get here. Fabric is slightly heavier than the original and said to wear better and flap less in the wind. Videos and written instructions make it pretty straightforward, but it is a 2 person install.

donr827

Look at the rear window trying to decide how to adjust the *** day night shades. Decided to have a beer instead.
Don

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

The weight of the Mary Kay rolling stock stressed the luan floor of the underbed storage area of our Savannah. There's a 2-gang AC junction box with a cover on it, screwed to the bedroom floor, underneath the underbed storage. The stress from our storage weight deflected the luan such that the junction box cover gouged the heck out of the luan.

Today was the day to make repairs and improvements in this area. I replaced the 1/8" (maybe) luan with 1/4" plywood finished both sides in maple. I had Lowes cut it to the dimension I needed and had them cut 1.5" strips from some of my scrap.

Me and a my neighbor glued and brad nailed the strips onto the existing structure below the storage floor to fur it up a 1/4" to give me more clearance. Then we simply set the new floor in place. Perfect!

We'll take this coach on one final trip in Jan-Feb, then someone new will own it. Happy to turn it over with another improvement.

Storage Floor - Before.jpg Storage Floor - Furring Strips Added.jpg Storage Floor - Old vs New Sheet.jpg Storage Floor - Completed.jpg

MCTalley

Replaced a few of our light switches with residential style rockers per a thread floating around here on the forum somewhere (I'm too lazy to find and link it). Took pictures and whipped up a How-To article on our blog, as well.

141210-27.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Mine has been winterized for about two months now and I haven't been in it for probably about as long . . .

Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow, so as it is parked in our side yard next to our garage, maybe I'll go out there and watch a movie or two since it is my day off and I don't have anything else better to do!

I usually like to watch 'Pearl Harbor' or 'Tora Tora Tora' around Pearl Harbor Day . . . so it will probably be one or both of those!

VKTalley

It would be nice to have been mentioned

Like Malcolm said, MagnoliaTom, he was too lazy to go look. I'm glad you showed your mod and I am really liking our new switches, thanks to your mod. We will be heading back to Home Depot tonight to get the other 4 switches we need to finish changing out the two in the kitchen, the one next to the television, and the one in the bathroom. The new switches look so much better than the ones originally on the slide walls that stuck out from the wall over an inch!

MagnoliaTom

Like Malcolm said, MagnoliaTom, he was too lazy to go look. I'm glad you showed your mod and I am really liking our new switches, thanks to your mod. We will be heading back to Home Depot tonight to get the other 4 switches we need to finish changing out the two in the kitchen, the one next to the television, and the one in the bathroom. The new switches look so much better than the ones originally on the slide walls that stuck out from the wall over an inch!

This forum is a great way for everyone to share ideas and information. I have other mods so keep an eye out for them!

MCTalley

Sorry for my laziness, but yes, MagnoliaTom originally posted the mod elsewhere in the forum. Thanks for the idea. Will be watching for more ideas from you. (I'll bookmark your threads, just in case. :) ).

MagnoliaTom

Sorry for my laziness, but yes, MagnoliaTom originally posted the mod elsewhere in the forum. Thanks for the idea. Will be watching for more ideas from you. (I'll bookmark your threads, just in case. :) ).

No need for apologies! I was just poking fun

MagnoliaTom

Here is my sewer hose storage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418335316.033282.jpg

Used PVC fence posts that I painted black.
Added the caps and drilled holes for rubber grommets. Attached with small bungees using rivets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418335419.220542.jpg
Inside is a PVC rain gutter which slides in and out like a drawer. Gutter can be used to support the sewer hose.

I'm sure many of you have done this but for those who haven't, all the materials were purchased at lowes.

VKTalley

That sewer hose storage looks nice, Tom!!! I'm sure others will be interested in seeing your other mods that you have planned!