What did you do to your camper today?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Scrubbed the front and rear caps with a Magic Eraser. Amazing how it removed stubborn black spots that no amount of previous brushing could.. Was going to wax them today, but the clouds decided to wizz on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Didn't do anything today - but in the past 3 weeks or so (many at Goshen) I did, in no particular order:

Pinned a "half baby gate" into the sliding door to make it easier to keep wet pups in the garage and quickly go in and out.
Trav'ler satellite antenna (expensive install price and I did half the work)
Sewer hose support (will be doing a "product review" on this one)
Pups past memorial on the slide thanks to Linda and Mark Comer
RV lock replacement
Under trailer storage bin upgrade
Another set of RV sheets from Lippert. These are actually nice sheets and a fair price.
Two quad step installs (tech earned his money on this one)
Wash and wax of the truck and trailer (first time wax for both)
Propane shut off valve for the grill
Replaced the right front MOR/ryde IS spring
Bought some 10' "J wrap" panels from Heartland, other trim and a couple of decals
(for the first time, not the nicest of people to deal with at Heartland)
Replaced the missing fender from the blowout, body repairs to follow
Replaced the rusting, unpainted, too tall dog pen with a slightly shorter black Midwest pen, that is starting to rust already.

GWRam

Porthole,
I've been thinking about the under trailer storage. Do you have a model number for the under trailer storage bin? What is your initial feelings/feedback on the storage.? Any photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Porthole,
I've been thinking about the under trailer storage. Do you have a model number for the under trailer storage bin? What is your initial feelings/feedback on the storage.? Any photos?

http://lci1.com/underchassis-storage-system

Our trailer came standard with storage bins.
I like them well enough I added a second set.

Look here for a comparison of the two sizes of bins available.
I do not know if the long bin version will fit on a non toy hauler frame though.

Dual storage bins

Westwind

Finished repacking the bearings, installing new bearing seals and cleaning the brake pads (light sanding) and the drums. Also lubed the running gear under the trailer. We have 12K and everything said I should do this maintenance but really everything was in great shape. The wheels/bearing definitely didn't need bearing grease - all four wheels definitely had enough of that. But it's done and I'm not wondering anymore.

Attachments

• DSCN0373.jpg
    DSCN0373.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN0374.jpg
    DSCN0374.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0375.jpg
    DSCN0375.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0376.jpg
    DSCN0376.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 102

Miltp920

I like your stackable boards with rope handles for easy movement. I made really thick ones for under the 6 pt, but Maybe I should have a few thinner ones. You have inspired me.

I used my new torque wrench and checked my lug nuts before our trip next week. I am glad I did, because a few of them moved at 120 ftlbs (less than 1/8 of a turn). Then I read up on the recommended final torque. Seems 120 to 140 was common. I took them to 130. Since some of them never moved, I know they are torqued above 130. Tire pressure was within 1 lb, but I topped them off anyway.

Does anyone loosen them first and then torque them up so you know how tight they are, OR when you torque them and they do not move, you assume all is well. I had the bearings repacked at the tire shop, and I assume they used the air wrench on them (even though I did not ask).

Are torque wrenches only designed to tighten, or could you use it like a breaker bar to loosen a lug nut?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone loosen them first and then torque them up so you know how tight they are, OR when you torque them and they do not move, you assume all is well. I had the bearings repacked at the tire shop, and I assume they used the air wrench on them (even though I did not ask).

Are torque wrenches only designed to tighten, or could you use it like a breaker bar to loosen a lug nut?
Yes, loosen them some first before torquing. They could be at 150 and you would never know.
And no they are not designed to be used as a breaker bar.

Peace
Dave

Wmnmy

attachment.php
Transferring belongings from the ole Elkridge to the Bighorn ......in 115 degree weather it was hot. Lol ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 307

dlw930

You may have worked up a sweat in the heat, but that's ONE good lookin' Big Horn. Congratulations and enjoy!

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Added 50 ft extension to my Garmin RV760 GPS back camera. Now the transmitter is right next to the truck so the camera image is clear and stays connected. Will be adding TST tire pressure monitor tomorrow.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just got home this afternoon from our maiden voyage of or new 2015 Heartland Prowler P292!

When we arrived on Thursday at the campground, I did a newbie . . . forgot to unhook the breakaway before I pulled the truck away from the trailer . . . DOH!

Today, when we were leaving, I kept getting a 'check trailer brake' alarm on the dash . . . had to reset the breakaway from the other day.

However, before we left the campground, I was trying to troubleshoot a low water pressure issue . . . not sure if I have that problem solved . . . yet.

I believe that the flow restrictor at the city water inlet is bad . . . but I can't seem to figure out how to get it out of there for replacement!

Then, when we got home, the landing gear wouldn't work.

But, after starting a post here . . . 20 minutes later and a trip to the local auto parts store, I had it running again!

We are going out again next weekend . . . hope we have everything figured out by then!

Shots from this weekend . . .

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg
    ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 336
  • ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg
    ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 335
  • ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 337

z06

Added second motor and switch to landing gear. Now I can adjust legs independent of each other for leveling. Sourced some used parts off of Ebay. Total cost of $90.

AAdams

Added Cat additive to the Level up system. It had started popping quite a bit lately. Found a CAT place here in Springfield MO. Picked up 2 qts of the U1-9891 for $60.77 w/tax. Ordered a new shock for the trailer, apparently lost a nut off the bottom of one of them. Scott at Heartland was very helpful and is sending the whole shock under warranty. ( Found out the shock was missing the nut when I extended the jacks all the way to put in the additive per the instructions )

dewwood

Installed the RV Lock V4 with the keypad and the wife was even impressed with how nice it works. You can use the key, the keypad or the remote, nice.

Wmnmy

You may have worked up a sweat in the heat, but that's ONE good lookin' Big Horn. Congratulations and enjoy!
Why Thank you dlw930 we are very impressed with the 3270RS floor plan taking her out soon to work out bugs lol..

donr827

Using two motors indecently you need to be careful with tweaking the frame from an uneven lift.
I used a similar adjustable foot pad before having LevelUp installed.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/ultra-adjustable-footpad/61529

My previous fifth wheel had 3 switches to take care of that situation. There was a left only, right only, and both. I would use the both switch till one of the jacks hit the ground and then use the left or right only to bring the jack down that was not touching the ground.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My previous fifth wheel had 3 switches to take care of that situation. There was a left only, right only, and both. I would use the both switch till one of the jacks hit the ground and then use the left or right only to bring the jack down that was not touching the ground.
Don

The electric Ground Control system allows the same. When I see the wood cribbing pad shift slightly, I bring down the other jack and then run both together to level front to back. I do the same with the rear two jacks and then lift the downhill side using the front and rear jack on that side to level the rig.