What Tires are on Bighorn?

Dylan

I'm not at our rig, but I'm wondering if anybody knows what tires would be on our 2009 Bighorn, 3670RL. No doubt they are the original tires, and I had recently looked at them, and while they look fine, I think I see the date code, ending in 3806, meaning they were mfg'd on the 38th week of 2006, making them 7 years old. I was hoping to make some phone calls asking for quotes, but I don't know what to ask for. I know it's a G rated tire also. Any info on what to ask for would be appreciated....(until I can get to the rig for the exact numbers on the tires)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Re: Tires...

I am sure you have the E rated Towmax tires on there unless it was ordered with the G Rated Goodyear G614's. As far as weather you can replace them with G rated tires, the only way to know that if you have the E rated Towmax tires on there now is to check the wheels themselves to make sure that they will handle 110 psi. It is stamped right on the wheel itself. I know this probably isn't much help, but the reality is, you will probably have to check the rig to see which wheels you have on it. Most of the bighorns have 110 psi wheels, but not all.

Rod Ditrich

Dylan

It's definitely G rated tires, as I looked at them just a week ago, while I was checking for the date code. The psi is indeed 110, as stamped on the tire. My concern is even though the tires don't have much mileage on them, they're 7 yrs old now. The fact that they're G rated, I'm told means their LT's. Anyone agree with that?

For20hunter

They are probably RST235/85R16 Goodyear G614's which is an LT tire, so yes, I agree with that. . That is the upgraded tire that you can order from the factory. Other than that, the only other tire the factory offers I believe is the Towmax Powermax E rated tire.

It's definitely G rated tires, as I looked at them just a week ago, while I was checking for the date code. The psi is indeed 110, as stamped on the tire. My concern is even though the tires don't have much mileage on them, they're 7 yrs old now. The fact that they're G rated, I'm told means their LT's. Anyone agree with that?

pegmikef

I don't think I would trust seven year old tires unless I knew for sure how they were stored, when they were mounted, exposure to the sun, etc. Don't G614s have it written in large letters on the sidewall?

For20hunter

Ya, 7 years is beyond the safe life of any tire. You might make several hundred miles if they were stored correctly, but you might make less than a day and have a catastrophic disaster. The tires are something I don't think you should chance, too much potential for damage when they blow. IMHO

Rod Ditrich

I don't think I would trust seven year old tires unless I knew for sure how they were stored, when they were mounted, exposure to the sun, etc.

Dylan

My problem now is when....bringing the rig home on July 7th.....then driving for 4 hour trip on the 15th. Gives me a few days to get it done. Tires look fine, but now I can't stop thinking about it. If it's not one thing, it's 3 others.

aatauses

We have a 2010 BH 3670 and it came with Freestar tires. I did some research and these tires are made in CA. They have been good tires so far, but do plan to replace when we get back to the lower 48. They are g rated and are fully inflated at 110#.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

For20hunter

Here is the load rating for the G614's (page 7). The load range depends on the air pressure you are running.
[FONT=TradeGothicLTStd-BdCn20*5][FONT=TradeGothicLTStd-BdCn20*5][FONT=TradeGothicLTStd-BdCn20*5]View attachment edb_loads.pdf[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Dylan

So if the table says 3750, does that mean 3750 x 4 for 15,000 lbs?.....and is that the limit you should be at for the whole rig, loaded?

pegmikef

The weight of the rig on the wheels. I think you can weigh more overall because the pin weight will be at least a couple of k pounds too.

dbbls59

Heartland installed Sailun tires on some units a few years back. They are steel just like the Goodyear G614. These may be on your Bighorn.

boatdoc

Our '09 3670 had the freestars on it and never had a problem. I kept them at 110 at all times. Still had them on it when it went to the new owners a couple months ago.

donr827

The only place I would take that trailer is the closest tire dealer that carries the tires that you need. The G614 is a Goodyear tire made for trailers. Expensive but will provide peace of mind.
Don

mobilcastle

These are great tires and they will not drain your wallet. I have them on my rig. If you read RV.net Goodyear G614 have had many blowouts-I have yet to read about a Sailon blowing out.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires I would buy them again in a minute-good luck
Heartland installed Sailun tires on some units a few years back. They are steel just like the Goodyear G614. These may be on your Bighorn.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Our '09 3670 had the freestars on it and never had a problem. I kept them at 110 at all times. Still had them on it when it went to the new owners a couple months ago.

I still have the original Freestars on our '09 BH3670.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dylan, I dont think that HL was offering G614's in 09 on a BH as an option....but maybe. Its hard for me to believe that the tires are 3 years older than the coach. Just seems odd to me.