What's your favorite carry weapon?

Jim.Allison

A lot of questionable former law enforcement officers on here. If you are racking shotguns, then you are not following your training. Every officer I know, and I hang out with a number of them, always carry locked and loaded, and the racking would waste a round. Even if you carry without one in the chamber, then you have still deprived yourself of one extra round. As for scaring the criminals, a cop yelling "freeze, police!" Is usually effective enough. Most criminals know that cops are armed. Too much Hollywood in these discussions.

Wow, since I am the LEO that started the "hot standby" idea, I amused by your comment, enough said.

Last edited:

Randor

Jim,

I agree with a lot of what you said - actually, most of it. I would only caveat a little bit. Each person should use what they are comfortable and TRAINED with. My wife, although not intimidated by firearms and fairly comfortable with them, carries pepper spray. She would not be as hesitant to use non-lethal force to protect herself. On the other hand, I am well trained, retired Army, had multiple advanced tactical and defensive shooting courses. When I owned my firearms store outside of a military installation, a lot of HOOAH soldiers would come in to buy a weapon their spouse and want the biggest gun in the store. Most of them would shake like a leaf just holding a gun, let alone fire it. Many times, smaller or less lethal is better. As I mentioned earlier, I agree with the shotgun route in a 5er, or even a house. People that say they want an AR for home defense, in my opinion, are dangerous because they don't understand possible second and third order effects, especially if the intended target is missed. High velocity rounds go through thin walls.

I think it is easy for people that aren't trained to get in over their head quickly. At the same time, I would not presume to tell someone what is best for their individual situation. I know for me, I am well trained, have a fairly impressive arsenal, and for the scenario we're talking about I have a shotgun handy and a Judge pistol that shoots 410 rounds. But someone else's mileage may vary.

Jim.Allison

Randy

When I suggested the "hot standby" idea (way back) I took heat for it, I have not argued the point, I have for the most part lived and let live, but when someone who knows nothing about the standard practice of LEOs, starts using terms like "questionable LEOs" It is offensive.

As for pepper spray, I have asserted that this is what is good for me and others should consider it for many reasons. I have never stated that it is what everyone else should use. I do advocate it though.

Thanks for your reply and as a gun store owner, I'm sure you have seen enough to curl your hair.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This subject always gets all kinds of responses, from the "I know all there is to know about firearms," to the "Bloomberg Psycophants." Bottom line for me is I carry what fits my frame and is comfortable, which is usually my Keltec P11 (9mm). I do have other weapons, including edge weapons and unarmed self-defense training (we were taught self-defense, not dancing for trophies). Do I go out armed looking for trouble, NO., but if trouble comes looking to target me, whatever weapon I have at hand will be brought to bear. Might even be a fork in a restaurant.
As far as a shotgun in the RV, my Winchester 1200 (police surplus) is a bit ungainly. Replaced the stock with a pistol grip, but found it more difficult to control and secure it, so my primary "home defense" remains DAO pistols that require an intentional pull of the trigger. And they are kept with one in the pipe. If I have to reach for the shotgun (5 rounds in the mag, none chambered), it means I've fired a 20rd. mix of 9mm and .45 at the intruder. If I have to take up arms in my domicile, the time for gentlemanly warnings has passed. At least where I live, I don't have a "duty" to jump out a window to escape an intruder.

Judged by 12 or carried by 6, the choice is yours.

As far as LEO's are concerned, I have the utmost respect for them. I get to work with them on occasion on highway and freeway carnage incidents. If nothing else, we provide scene blocking so they can reconstruct the accident. And they're at all of our calls, helping to control traffic and assist us.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We carry a 1911 (original) Colt in the Horn and have it in house when home. My toy is a 1847 walker and its a hoot to shoot. The 1911 is an up close and personal firearm, the Walker is a 5# 44 caliber hand held cannon. BTW, Patty ('ol dead eye) shoots both of them and loves it. While I was never an LEO or in the service...my son who is in the army has very well showed me how to use a firearm.

DocFather

Me - Glock 26 9mm

Screen-Shot-2014-02-17-at-1.34.32-PM.png

Dana - Beretta .32 3032 Tomcat

3032tomcat_zoom002.jpg

Randor

The Taurus Judge is in the night stand - shoots a 410.
Judge.jpg

The SRM 1216 with extra 16 round magazine is close at hand if needed.
1216.jpg

I figure most any problem can be solved with 37 rounds between them. I have pulled my firearm twice in the past 30 years, and both times just pulling one out was enough to send the threat scurrying away. When I was a Cobra pilot in the Army, I "pulled" my 20mm cannon twice in Bosnia, but never fired it. However, in all cases, I was prepared and willing to use it if needed. Pulling a firearm, in my opinion, with the intent to simply scare away the threat, is a bad plan. One had better be committed to using it if it is pulled. But, that doesn't mean it HAS to be fired if the threat backs down. Not always an easy call, and I was fortunate I didn't have to pull the trigger - but I would have slept just fine had I done so.

DocFather

The Taurus Judge is in the night stand - shoots a 410.
View attachment 36175

The SRM 1216 with extra 16 round magazine is close at hand if needed.
View attachment 36176

I figure most any problem can be solved with 37 rounds between them. I have pulled my firearm twice in the past 30 years, and both times just pulling one out was enough to send the threat scurrying away. When I was a Cobra pilot in the Army, I "pulled" my 20mm cannon twice in Bosnia, but never fired it. However, in all cases, I was prepared and willing to use it if needed. Pulling a firearm, in my opinion, with the intent to simply scare away the threat, is a bad plan. One had better be committed to using it if it is pulled. But, that doesn't mean it HAS to be fired if the threat backs down. Not always an easy call, and I was fortunate I didn't have to pull the trigger - but I would have slept just fine had I done so.

Love "The Judge"

Randor

I have the S&W version at home.
6 rounds instead of 5 and the capability to also use 45 acp, grip laser too, that uses standard 2032 batteries.
An obvious copy of the Judge with a few upgrades.

I like the Governor as well, and love that it will also shoot the 45 ACP. Only issue I had with it was that the moon-clips were overly tight and it was hard to get the spent cases out. I did love, that with a few extra moon-clips, you could make it a quick reloader.

teasac69

Kimber Ultra II .45 ACP fits my hand, shoots really nice for a small .45 Added some Wilson Combat mags and we're ready.

Grey Ghost

:cool:Ruger 9MM on the night stand.......S&W .38 special when out walking about. If push comes to shove....AK47 two banana clips and when they are empty....AR15 available to close the deal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
New favorite is my recently purchased S&W 9mm M&P Shield. Fits my hand nicely and is thinner and lighter than my KelTec P-11. Two less rounds, but that's not a real problem. Out of the box, it functioned flawlessly and was very accurate out to over 20 yds. popping empty cans in the woods.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
New favorite is my recently purchased S&W 9mm M&P Shield. Fits my hand nicely and is thinner and lighter than my KelTec P-11. Two less rounds, but that's not a real problem. Out of the box, it functioned flawlessly and was very accurate out to over 20 yds. popping empty cans in the woods.
John, Guns & Ammo Magazine recently ran a single stack 9mm shootout. No opinions on any of them just the facts of what happened along the way.
Your Shield was included.

Peace
Dave