Where should we hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

How about Kansas City area

I like the geographic nature of fairgrounds in Hutchinson, KS and I have been there to scout it. A couple things hold me back from strongly considering it:

1) It is always windy there
2) The buildings we have access to there for meetings/meals etc are smallish

This said, any place can be windy the entire time of a rally - no matter where it is.

Please don't let me disuade you on KS - keep the ideas/locations coming.

Jim

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd love a Rally in my own stomping grounds, but Dallas is not RV friendly. I recommend somewhere near, or Canton, within driving distance to DFW.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
What about Amana, Iowa? Large CG and buildings are air conditioned and large.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have stayed there before, and they do have a nice park but they only have 1 larger size building.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The problem with Kansas in April, May and June is it is right in the middle of Tornado alley. We tried to attend a Good Sam Rally one year in Hutchinson, KS and it was a disaster with so much rain it was nothing but mud. Our reservations got canceled and we lost our money we paid for the Rally.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
How about the James Ward Ag. center in Lebanon Tn. When you rent the grounds you get all of the buildings, 26 miles east of Nashville, or Perry Georgia. Then there is Camp Jordan in East Ridge, Tn. Just outside of Chattanooga with access on I-75, I-24, and I-59.

jbeletti

Branson Mo., centrally located, plenty to do and see, and always good weather.

LOVE Branson - but we already did Branson in 2008. Held it at the KOA. Honestly, I don't think there is a campground that will work for use there as these days, we need 200 to 300 sites plus an air conditioned building that will hold us.

Jim

jbeletti

How about the James Ward Ag. center in Lebanon Tn. When you rent the grounds you get all of the buildings, 26 miles east of Nashville, or Perry Georgia. Then there is Camp Jordan in East Ridge, Tn. Just outside of Chattanooga with access on I-75, I-24, and I-59.

The state fairgrounds in Perry, GA is on the list for a future rally for sure. I scouted it in March. Thanks for the other location ideas.

Jim

olcoon

Branson was mentioned, but how about the State Fairgrounds in Sedalia, Mo? There are a lot of flea markets/antique shops in the area, several large air conditioned buildings on the fairgrouns, and plenty of room there. Here is a link to their website talking about their camp grounds. I think it says they have around 1100 camp sites.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sedalia Mo...hmmmm..Hey Jim B remember the Escapade at Sedalia? It was a great time for all until the rain made it a mud hole and the wreckers had a field day towing everybody out. But again that was much larger Rally than what Heartland will have. But it is a great venue. Works for us.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Most of the states being mentioned here are in the same relatively small radius in the center of the lower 48.

Let's branch out. Anywhere in the Southwest. The weather is by far the best.

Second choice, Texas. (Somewhere south of tornado alley.)

Over and out. Trace

Last edited:

kkamshop

Jim, here's another one to checkout for a future rally site. Beech Bend park in Bowling Green Kentucky.

back2nature

After attending the 2012 Gillette, WY rally and seeing how many westerners were now able to make a rally (including us), my vote is to find something west of the Missippissi River, since the Goshen rallies are on the east side of the U.S and way too far of a trip for many. But you gotta stay out of tornado alley.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Laurie. West of the Mississippi is a lot less congested. A lot easier driving.

See attached map. Dark colors being more people. Trace

Attachments

• USA-2000-population-density.jpg
    USA-2000-population-density.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
After attending the 2012 Gillette, WY rally and seeing how many westerners were now able to make a rally (including us), my vote is to find something west of the Missippissi River, since the Goshen rallies are on the east side of the U.S and way too far of a trip for many. But you gotta stay out of tornado alley.

I live in the actual NWS mapped out area known as Tornado Alley, (it's shaped like a boot, just fyi), literally the worst part of the United States for twisters, it's not that bad.
I think that the NWS should redo their mapping because it seems to me that Twister Territory has grown in the last 10 or so years and shifted North. But when planning your travels remember that Tornado Season runs from April to June.

Status
Not open for further replies.