Which tow rig to purchase

timk

Ray LeTourneau said:
The 5th wheel towing capacity of the 2500HD is 115,600# We had the same rig and were about 400# over GVRW but under combined capacity of 22K. We still opted to trade up to a 1 ton dually.
Wow!! Now I know I want one of those chevys, thats just smoking. No wonder I see them pulling the big rigs all the time. :rolleyes:

Forrest Fetherolf

My rig loaded for a six day trip to Bass Lake, CA...........truck with 56 gal fuel, 400 lbs people, animals and misc tools in truck. RV with 1/3 fresh water, empty holding tanks, food and clothing in rv.

06 Chevy Duramax Allison 6spd, extended cab 2wd, airlift air bags, RDS 60 gal/toolbox combo, Husky 16K slider, Brakesmart controller.

06 3600RL, TrailAir hitchpin and suspension, Onan 5500LP, 2-AC, slide toppers and awing, TracVision 4 satellite.

The CAT scales tell the story.............truck 1240 lb over 9200 GVW,
460 lb over 22,000 CGVW.

The good news is...........rig is under on all GAW and all tire load capacity. I was told by the CHP and LAPD that they are only concerned with tire load and tire condition. If you are taken to the scales, 200 lbs is allowed for scale error and will not issue citation for less than 400 lbs over weight per tire. Some other jurisdictions may not be so nice.

Attachments

• RV weight.pdf
    157.6 KB · Views: 92

ct0218

There seems to be a lot of confusion on weight ratings, and some are stating the axle ratings, some a conventional trailer weight rating, and others the 5th wheel rating. 9200 is what can be physically carried in and on the truck--the weight of the truck, passengers, fuel, etc., and PIN weight. The limitation here is both tires and axle. The 12,000 lb , or there abouts, rating is for a conventional pull-behind trailer. The limitation there is the hitch--12K is about max on any hitch. The fifth wheel rating is a little less than 16,000 lbs. The Trailer Life chart should give you a weight for that. As I remember from looking at the chart some time ago it appeared that a 2500 could pull a heavier 5er than a 3500. Not true, as you have to take into consideration the 9200 lb limitation on a 2500. There is nothing you can add to a 2500 to make it carry more weight. Air bags will make it sit more level, but will not change the tire and axle ratings. Going to a larger tire will possibly get you the tire capacity you need but in doing so creates other issues with the Allison transmission. It will also change your axle ratio, and will be detrimental to your fuel mileage. That also has to put a little more load on the engine. The fifth wheel rating is determined by the GCWR rating minus the actual weight of the truck loaded. A lot of us, especially those with Landmarks, are over a least one of the vehicle ratings. On my truck I am under both axle ratings, but a little over on the GCWR-I carry too much stuff in the 5er.

Forrest Fetherolf

ct0218,

You might want to verify the payload capacities for the 2500 vs 3500. In some cases the 2500 will have a larger payload than the 3500.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/ Click on capacities, trailering, and braking.

The 3500 DRW has more hauling capacities than the 3500 SRW or the 2500 SRW, but the rear brakes on the 3500 DRW are smaller ............................does that mean the 3500 SRW and the 2500 SRW rear brakes are oversized or the 3500 DRW is undersized?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks a lot guys, just when I had the DW ready to let me buy a new truck that could pull a mountain. Now she says the post was wrong and have to keep my old one.:p Ken

ct0218

Forrest
I checked and found that the brakes are larger on the DRW, not smaller. Also, in no case is the payload capacity higher in a 2500HD than a 3500.