Why not balance trailer tires???

My 300C (and several other 5th wheels from other manufacturers that I'm directly aware of) hasn't a single wheel weight to be found anywhere. This leads me to the conclusion that the wheel/tires were not balanced before leaving the factory.

Why not? :confused:

Yes, I know that nobody is riding back there, but it's always been my understanding that you balanced wheels for a number of reasons (ride comfort, lessen steering and suspension wear, lessen uneven tire wear, to name the reasons I know of).

But, if none of the manufacturers are balancing, that makes me wonder if there is a reason. Personally, I see no harm in balancing, and was considering trying Dyna-Beads, since it's something I can do myself.

Any input?

Thanks! :)

Dave

Sandpirate69

Have them balanced. Be considerate of those driving around you. I know, no one else is considerate, but it would make for a lousy life after you have a blow-out, cause an accident & a child is injured or worse. I saw this two weeks ago before I took my family to Disney.

MTPockets

I pulled my rig into a tire store and they removed, balanced, and retorqued for $10.00 each wheel... Wheels took several weights each. I can't feel any difference, before & after, but I'm sure there is less punishment on tires, suspension, etc... (I re-check torque often) Great insurance for the cost of replacements around $350 each tire.

PeternLiane

I was told years ago that trailers tire never needed to be balanced. The only explanation I received was that its because they were on trailers and didn't need to be balanced. My belief and sounds like a lot of others here is that they need to be balanced. I'm going to have to check at my local tire store for the 10 dollar deal.

CliffP

What happens when a cars tires aren't balanced? It shakes, pulls, and can wear tires unevenly and faster. What makes a trailer any different? You can't feel it happening.

TeJay

It has to be the same mentality that created these items. A lot of TT's don't come from the factory with radial tires especially the smaller units. Why??? Most utility tires have bias ply tires because they are intended to haul stuff, jump curbs and are driven hard by commercial stuff. Also I've been told that when a TT goes around corners the tires slide a lot and the side wall needs to be tougher to withstand the stresses. However I learned that the radial design allowed the sidewalls to flex more keeping the tread flatter on the road providing better traction. That's what also provides less rolling resistance, lower tire temperatures and improved fuel mileage. I would think that a more flexible sidewall would allow a TT tire to go around corners with less stress on the sidewall.

Almost no TT comes from the factory with self-adjusting shoe brakes. Why?? Self adjusting brakes were standard after about 1955. Since you can add self adjusters to your drum brakes I don't believe it has anything to do with the magnetic actuating mechanism. The extra parts needed to change to self adjusting couldn't cost $15 a wheel. Why isn't it offered as an option ????

Why are there no shocks on TT's????? Same thinking. Almost no utility trailer has shocks. Our units travel roads and need shocks to dampen the suspension movement. That will improve the effect that bouncing would have on your tow vehicle and increases suspension and tire life. It also makes it easier on your unit and the contents. Shocks should also be offered as an option. I did my NT and it cost me about $100.

These changes should be either standard or offered as an upgrade. Radial tires, self adjusting brakes, and shock are no brainers to me and it wouldn't increase the cost more than $200 - $400 a unit. Remember the labor for some of this stuff is already part of the cost of the unit. You are already getting tires and brakes. Just switch from bias ply to radial, add the shock mounts and shocks along with the adjusters and you're done.
TeJay

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I can't feel the differance, but I know I'm increasing the life of my tires. With the price of tires today that is important. I had my tires balanced after my first trip..

Vtxkid

I balanced mine also but I can't help but wonder, due to the weight of the RV's and that the tire is at approximatley 80% of it's load capacity, that it wouldn't make a difference if they are balanced or not...

lwmcguir

Any tire running at hi-way speeds should be balanced. Think about the added stress if you happen to have a wheel and tire that may be out of balance one ounce. Each time that tire rotates it will exert that force. The Coach cost to much to have all the added stress if you happen to have one that is way off balance.

sjs731

I just put a new set of tires on my 5er and had them balanced. I can only imagine the stress on the wheel, suspension and frame of a tire shaking because it is out of balance at highway speed. Also I would want that stress on the tires I just paid a pretty penny for. No reason to see what kind of stress a tire can take. Not a fan of flats on the side of the highway.

lwmcguir

A suspension package upgrade would be nice for sure. When we bought our Yellowstone way back in 98/99 they did offer 16" wheels and tires as an upgrade. It came with shocks and so on. Even had LED night lights throughout the coach as an option which we really liked and used. Just takes a manufacturer to listen and us to buy and the manufacturer will respond when they start loosing marked share. Until then mostly eye candy to get your attention or DW's, not stuff underneath where you don't look very hard.

Thanks for all the input...guess it's just one of those things that can be left by the manufacturers that won't affect the sale of the unit, but will save money over hundreds of trailers...

Anyway, gonna grab some beads and get them in the tires ASAP.

Birchwood

I think manufacturers figure most trailers don't travel very far so why spend the extra money.If
you do travel long distance definitely have them balanced.I travelled long distance(> 2000 miles)
for two years before I realized they were not balanced.What I object to is not being informed
at time of purchase the wheels are not balanced...should be included in PDI.

Porkchop

I called the local Walmart and they won't do it on the RV. Does anyone have any suggestions of anywhere in NJ that would do it on our RV? Or should I have it done at the dealer?

Thanks!