Will All Road Warriors Please Stand Up! Represent Your Warrior!

Securityman

I have a 2015 cyclone 3110 , and I have this staining of oil on both of my ac also , can't get it off the roof , is heartland going to do anything about this ?

danemayer

I have a 2015 cyclone 3110 , and I have this staining of oil on both of my ac also , can't get it off the roof , is heartland going to do anything about this ?
If you have oil stains on the roof, from the air conditioners, you should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

But I think this problem is fairly recent and probably doesn't go back to 2015 models.

hboy1

For those of you that have 'oil stains' from the roof a/c, can you say if it feels like oil? Ya know, slick to the touch?

Thanks.

nfa1eab

If you have oil stains on the roof, from the air conditioners, you should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

But I think this problem is fairly recent and probably doesn't go back to 2015 models.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I have a 2015 RW 305 with 2 Dometic AC units and my roof is stained from both units. Looks like just like the picture posted. I plan to contact Heartland CS.

Ed

nfa1eab

Talked to Heartland CS today. Never heard of problem. There's a surpise. Said to call Dometic. Dometic says never heard of problem. Another surprise there. Units are still under warranty. Next step, need to get inspected at certified shop. Here are some pics of my staining. Looks same as posted by TxRoadWarrior362.

Attachments

• 20170202_100205.jpg
    20170202_100205.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170202_100050.jpg
    20170202_100050.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170202_095626.jpg
    20170202_095626.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170202_095611.jpg
    20170202_095611.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170202_095758.jpg
    20170202_095758.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 52

alwaysbusy

If your under warranty your good. The units themselves have a 2 year warranty.

Issue can be found in A/C's manufactured in 15' as well.

For those of you that have 'oil stains' from the roof a/c, can you say if it feels like oil? Ya know, slick to the touch?.

I concur with Tx, texture is not consistent with traditional oil.

Talked to Heartland CS today. Never heard of problem. There's a surpise. Said to call Dometic. Dometic says never heard of problem. Another surprise there. Units are still under warranty. Next step, need to get inspected at certified shop. Here are some pics of my staining. Looks same as posted by TxRoadWarrior362.

Dometic will not really entertain your claim/complaint w/o a dealer being involved; a matter of fact, their going to request you take it to a dealer who they prefer to discuss your issue with. They will request the dealer submit photographs of the overall roof and the A/C's with shrouds removed to confirm origination point. They will have the dealer perform operational tests on each of the units, report their findings and will have them try to clean it off. It's not going to come off as the oil permeates into the pores of the rubber. Both Heartland and Dometic are aware of this issue, but the folks you were speaking with clearly were not. Heartland documented Dometic A/C's not being built to manufacturing specifications on June 21, 2016. In the end, if same issue as Tx's and ours, the roof should be classified as damaged and both the roof and A/C's should be replaced at Dometic's expense through Heartland. However, replacing a roof opens up another can of worms with respect to the method in which it's done.

While final determination took a few weeks, hats off to both Heartland and Dometic as they were great. Heartland confirmed the staining as not normal. Heartland warranty supported our claim with Dometic and authorized full replacement prior to receiving Dometic's final decision/classification of the problem which did eventually come.

nfa1eab

Thanks for the info. Not sure I want the roof replaced. It has not leaked at all to this point. I don't trust people working on my stuff. Replacing AC units scares me enough, as they have worked fine as well. But, if they are leaking oil it is only a matter of time before the fail, so I am OK with replacing them. Any reason the roof should be replaced other than cosmetic reasons?

alwaysbusy

Thanks for the info. Not sure I want the roof replaced. It has not leaked at all to this point. I don't trust people working on my stuff. Replacing AC units scares me enough, as they have worked fine as well. But, if they are leaking oil it is only a matter of time before the fail, so I am OK with replacing them. Any reason the roof should be replaced other than cosmetic reasons?

I am not aware of any personally. However, later down the road the staining could be a concern to a prospective owner possibly.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that if I needed to have the whole roof replaced on a fairly new trailer I'd want it done at the factory . . .

Not at a dealership!

Plus, if the roof really didn't need to be replaced for nothing other than the stains I wouldn't have it done.

In otherwords, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

danemayer

Any reason the roof should be replaced other than cosmetic reasons?

Dicor says that petroleum distillates will damage the roof material. I might be wrong, but I interpret that as meaning that oil leaking from the A/C unit would also damage the Dicor roofing material. It costs a lot to replace a roof and for Dometic to pay the bill for roof replacement strongly suggests that whatever came out of the A/C was damaging enough to pay $10K or thereabouts for a new roof.

Stains are pretty common. Oil is not.

TxRoadWarrior362

Dicor says that petroleum distillates will damage the roof material. I might be wrong, but I interpret that as meaning that oil leaking from the A/C unit would also damage the Dicor roofing material. It costs a lot to replace a roof and for Dometic to pay the bill for roof replacement strongly suggests that whatever came out of the A/C was damaging enough to pay $10K or thereabouts for a new roof.

Stains are pretty common. Oil is not.

Correct statement danemayer, that's why I had the three ac's and the roof replaced. I'm not happy with that fact, but Dometic and Heartland did the right thing for us on out new RW.

nfa1eab

Good point Dan, on the oil damaging the dicor EPDM material. If it does need replacing, I would want it done in Elkhart.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Good point Dan, on the oil damaging the dicor EPDM material. If it does need replacing, I would want it done in Elkhart.

The lubricant in the newer A/C compressors is not a mineral based oil. It is a polyester based oil
so as to be compatible with the new refrigerants. I do not know if it would affect the dicor material.
It has not affected any of the plastic roofs on commercial buildings that we have placed refrigeration
condensers on other than staining. I hope this helps. Randy

nfa1eab

Thanx Randy, good to know. Don't relish the thought of them replacing roof, but they have done it on others, so maybe the oil in Dometics made in china is a problem. Can't imagine a plant in china using newer, safer oils. Whatever is cheaper seems more likely.

TxRoadWarrior362

If your under warranty your good. The units themselves have a 2 year warranty.

Issue can be found in A/C's manufactured in 15' as well.

I concur with Tx, texture is not consistent with traditional oil.

Dometic will not really entertain your claim/complaint w/o a dealer being involved; a matter of fact, their going to request you take it to a dealer who they prefer to discuss your issue with. They will request the dealer submit photographs of the overall roof and the A/C's with shrouds removed to confirm origination point. They will have the dealer perform operational tests on each of the units, report their findings and will have them try to clean it off. It's not going to come off as the oil permeates into the pores of the rubber. Both Heartland and Dometic are aware of this issue, but the folks you were speaking with clearly were not. Heartland documented Dometic A/C's not being built to manufacturing specifications on June 21, 2016. In the end, if same issue as Tx's and ours, the roof should be classified as damaged and both the roof and A/C's should be replaced at Dometic's expense through Heartland. However, replacing a roof opens up another can of worms with respect to the method in which it's done.

While final determination took a few weeks, hats off to both Heartland and Dometic as they were great. Heartland confirmed the staining as not normal. Heartland warranty supported our claim with Dometic and authorized full replacement prior to receiving Dometic's final decision/classification of the problem which did eventually come.

Any updates on your roof replacement?

nfa1eab

I am taking it in today to have the A/C units tested and roof inspected, oven looked at, and the ladder brackets added per the recall. Had a hard time finding anyone that would do warranty work. The oven lights and comes up to temp., and as the large burner cuts back the pilot light begins popping and goes out, shutting down the unit after about 10 minutes.

alwaysbusy

Hey Tx,
Thanks for asking. Yes, as you know our coach got broke into along with about 20-30 others while at the dealer for the warranty work (roof and A/C's being on that list for resolution). Televisions were targeted and as a result our big one was stolen, our front exterior door needs replaced along with all the entertainment wiring.

With our roof needing replaced along with the A/C units I wanted Heartland Service in Elkhart to do the job given the method of replacement. The dealer called Heartland about the work needing done from the Burglary and worked it out so Heartland would do ALL the related work and charge them back. It was a great move considering the circumstances and Heartlands ability versus a dealer. This past weekend we delivered the coach to the Heartland Service Center and are back home now. They have been in continual communication with the dealer, have worked all the details out and the coach should be done and through paint in about a week and a half. We delivered it a week early due to the great travel weather; scheduled start date is the 27th.

Heartland has been so, so great to work with and backed us 100% when it came time to the Dometic A/C units. They told us "when you get your coach back, it will be just as you received it when you ordered it." We are delighted and happy our coach is in their hands. I'll update when we get it back.

TxRoadWarrior362

Hey Tx,
Thanks for asking. Yes, as you know our coach got broke into along with about 20-30 others while at the dealer for the warranty work (roof and A/C's being on that list for resolution). Televisions were targeted and as a result our big one was stolen, our front exterior door needs replaced along with all the entertainment wiring.

With our roof needing replaced along with the A/C units I wanted Heartland Service in Elkhart to do the job given the method of replacement. The dealer called Heartland about the work needing done from the Burglary and worked it out so Heartland would do ALL the related work and charge them back. It was a great move considering the circumstances and Heartlands ability versus a dealer. This past weekend we delivered the coach to the Heartland Service Center and are back home now. They have been in continual communication with the dealer, have worked all the details out and the coach should be done and through paint in about a week and a half. We delivered it a week early due to the great travel weather; scheduled start date is the 27th.

Heartland has been so, so great to work with and backed us 100% when it came time to the Dometic A/C units. They told us "when you get your coach back, it will be just as you received it when you ordered it." We are delighted and happy our coach is in their hands. I'll update when we get it back.

glad to hear you safely made it there and back. Keep us posted on the progress.

Tim