Will All Road Warriors Please Stand Up! Represent Your Warrior!

nfa1eab

I dropped off the RW305 at a local dealer last week where I had set up an appointment about 2 weeks prior. They said they would call me in a couple days on status. Called there yesterday, he says it won't be until some time next week when he can look at it. I asked why I had set up an appointment 2 weeks ago if they weren't going to get to it for a week after I dropped it off? Told me the appointments just get you in line. I am new to this wonderful BS they call customer service.

Anyway, he pulls up my ticket and says, "Oh, I know what the roof staining is, a couple of rusty screws in the unit." This statement is made without even looking at my unit. 20170202_100205.jpg20170202_095611.jpg
The stains on my roof do not look like rust to me. I talked about the oil issues cited on this forum and told him it might be a good idea to test the A/C units today as it was 77 degrees and the warm weather may be short lived. Not getting much of a comfort level after this discussion. The service department has multiple good reviews about being honest and doing good work. I do not like other people having possession of my "stuff" and don't trust them. Can't wait to get this behind me and get the unit back in my posession.

TxRoadWarrior362

I dropped off the RW305 at a local dealer last week where I had set up an appointment about 2 weeks prior. They said they would call me in a couple days on status. Called there yesterday, he says it won't be until some time next week when he can look at it. I asked why I had set up an appointment 2 weeks ago if they weren't going to get to it for a week after I dropped it off? Told me the appointments just get you in line. I am new to this wonderful BS they call customer service.

Anyway, he pulls up my ticket and says, "Oh, I know what the roof staining is, a couple of rusty screws in the unit." This statement is made without even looking at my unit. View attachment 50129View attachment 50128
The stains on my roof do not look like rust to me. I talked about the oil issues cited on this forum and told him it might be a good idea to test the A/C units today as it was 77 degrees and the warm weather may be short lived. Not getting much of a comfort level after this discussion. The service department has multiple good reviews about being honest and doing good work. I do not like other people having possession of my "stuff" and don't trust them. Can't wait to get this behind me and get the unit back in my posession.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I hope all goes smooth for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Got the beast back from warranty work Friday. Forgot what it looked like. Put it in the shop on Jan. 3rd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 46

alwaysbusy

Anyway, he pulls up my ticket and says, "Oh, I know what the roof staining is, a couple of rusty screws in the unit." This statement is made without even looking at my unit. View attachment 50129View attachment 50128

Initially the dealer's techs assessed the stains on our roof as "normal" and even documented it as such on the work order. They explained it as dirt mixing with the A/C run off. I requested they send the matter and pics to both Heartland and Dometic. They did so and I personally took the torch speaking with and keeping in contact with Heartland Warranty myself. Stay persistent if they keep on the screw tune.

IronJ

Was a beautiful day!

eea97d27a5b531e934ecc4a63f98b0d9.jpg

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

nfa1eab

Initially the dealer's techs assessed the stains on our roof as "normal" and even documented it as such on the work order. They explained it as dirt mixing with the A/C run off. I requested they send the matter and pics to both Heartland and Dometic. They did so and I personally took the torch speaking with and keeping in contact with Heartland Warranty myself. Stay persistent if they keep on the screw tune.

Thnx, I will continue to pursue!
Ed

nfa1eab

Repair facility is pushing the rusty screw scenario. What did youhave them send to analyze? Any specific contacts at Dometic and Heartland I should talk to?

alwaysbusy

Repair facility is pushing the rusty screw scenario. What did youhave them send to analyze? Any specific contacts at Dometic and Heartland I should talk to?

Insist the dealer send overall photographs of the roof and then close photos depicting the stain(s) origination points to Heartland Warranty. If the dealer is unwilling, you may have to take the photos and send yourself. Nonetheless, you will have to leave your coach at the dealer. When Dometic gets involved, they prefer to deal/communicate with the dealer, not you; it's just seems that's the way they work. Dometic is then going to request the dealer conduct further testing on each unit and report back to them. With respect to photos, Dometic requests shrouds removed.

In my case, the dealer respected my insistence on them forwarding the issue to Heartland despite their opinion the staining was "normal." Once it got to Heartland, Heartland Warranty disagreed and they got Dometic involved. I can't speak as to your staining and if it is the same as Tx's and mine; however, this is how mine got handled. I conversed with Gary in Heartland Warranty I think and I have never spoken with anyone at Dometic. Hope this helps a little.

danemayer

As I mentioned earlier, the few reports about oil stains are fairly recent and I don't think they go back as far as 2014/2015 builds. From the posts I've seen on this forum, I'd guess it may just be a few defective A/C units rather than a general problem.

So as you have the stains investigated, you might want to allow for other possible findings by the dealer.

BigGuy82

I suggest you call Heartland CS. Have your S/N handy. Doesn't matter who you talk to - if the person who takes the call can't handle it, they will reach out to the appropriate resource. Personally, I'd let Heartland deal with Dometic - they have a lot more leverage than you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nfa1eab

Well, I got a call from the RV repair dealer today and was floored. He said Dometic has approved the replacement of both A/C units and the entire roof on the RV. He said they are oing to send an engineer down to look at the units after the fact. Dealer said he had never seen this in his 20 years in the business. I am having him add a fantastic fan with remote and 3 vent covers as this is the perfect time for these additions. Hope all pans out well. I am pleased at this point but somewhat apprehensive about the roof replacement. The facility service manager says they have done over 200 roof replacements. He plans to order the materials from Heartland. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks to all on this forum for their help and suggestions.

TxRoadWarrior362

Well, I got a call from the RV repair dealer today and was floored. He said Dometic has approved the replacement of both A/C units and the entire roof on the RV. He said they are oing to send an engineer down to look at the units after the fact. Dealer said he had never seen this in his 20 years in the business. I am having him add a fantastic fan with remote and 3 vent covers as this is the perfect time for these additions. Hope all pans out well. I am pleased at this point but somewhat apprehensive about the roof replacement. The facility service manager says they have done over 200 roof replacements. He plans to order the materials from Heartland. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks to all on this forum for their help and suggestions.

Thats great news. That staining would eat away at the roof material over time. I feel your aperhension about the roof replacement, and it's well deserved. Make sure to view the process or have the dealer take pictures after the roof is replaced, and before the new roof goes on. Make sure antenna and all vents work properly at final inspection. Insure that medal drip rail moldings are properly connected, as there will be a gap where they come together after replacement. If not sealed correctly, ac condensation will drip down the sides of your coach rather than at the front. Turn on all ac units, they will blow out diabry that was trapped during the install. This will need to be cleaned up, by the dealer, not you. Walk,the roof and check for any air pockets, small bubbles are ok. Large ones, not good. Please keep us posted. Heartland has stepped up to the plate on these Dometic ac issues.

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

After a week of emailing Back and forth with Anthony, Heartland Director of Warranty and Service we have a resolution for my coroplast replacement. Dan, Regional Manager for Explore USA agreed that my beast should not have left the dealer with the belly of the beast looking like that. Anthony with Heartland is sending Explore USA the proper coroplast and supports to correctly install the front belly coroplast. I am now a priority customer at Explore USA and will be informed when the parts arrive and to schedule the replacement. I was also assured that the repairs would take less than a week to perform, and have back in my possession. I'll take it in after the spring NASCAR race in Dallas.

it is what it is, the what has been much easier to take with Heartland stepping up to the plate!

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Danemayer. What exactly is a forum
moderators role? I'm not trying to be rude, just want to know.

Tim

alwaysbusy

After a week of emailing Back and forth with Anthony, Heartland Director of Warranty and Service we have a resolution for my coroplast replacement. Dan, Regional Manager for Explore USA agreed that my beast should not have left the dealer with the belly of the beast looking like that. Anthony with Heartland is sending Explore USA the proper coroplast and supports to correctly install the front belly coroplast. I am now a priority customer at Explore USA and will be informed when the parts arrive and to schedule the replacement. I was also assured that the repairs would take less than a week to perform, and have back in my possession. I'll take it in after the spring NASCAR race in Dallas

Good news Tx, I'm glad your getting it resolved there in the proper manner. The drive to Elkhart and back for the purposes of service only is a big apple to swallow my friend.

STANDBY, STANDBY, before they get to ripping into your roof...Heartland Service Center in Elkhart has been backed up and yesterday was the first day working on our coach. If you remember, I tried different RV roof cleaners and could not get the oil stains off. In addition, the dealer tried and could not lift them. Well, Heartland washed a small area yesterday afternoon with Simple Green and elbow grease........presto, took the stain in that area right off. They sent me a pic and I must admit, it's like new again as I can't even see where it was. They are going to wash the entire roof today in the same manner. IF this works, no new roof needed, just 3 new units. I'll keep you posted as I should hear from them today.

nfa1eab

Glad you have dodged the bullet on roof replacement. I have to wonder what the long term effects are from this oil on the EPDM membrane? For Dometic to accept the cost of roof replacement, I have to think that the exposure is not good, and may pose issues down the road a few years. That is my concern. I will monitor the process closely, as I am retired and about 30 miles away.

alwaysbusy

Want to give the final update on our roof and A/C epidemic. The coach is done and we will soon pick it up. A new roof is not needed and I'm glad as I did not want the original removed.

Simple Green indeed did the trick; it removed ALL oil stains. The Service Center then cleaned the entire roof with same. The Service Center was great with taking before/after pics of all stained areas as they cleaned step by step. They labeled/documented each pic under the same lighting conditions with the coach sitting in the same spot. Absolutely night and day.

Dicor themselves came to the Center in order to assess the roof at Heartlands request; they looked at it and walked it. For our comfort, both Dicor and Heartland has provided documentation standing behind the roof and will cover any future repairs relating to any issue that is attributable to the oil stains which were removed. However, Dicor has assured me the oil does not harm the membrane.

I don't want to get all scientific here as I'm not going to pretend to be an expert when I'm not. But, in my best layman terms, petroleum distillates which are solvents like mineral spirits, kerosene, etc. are indeed harmful to the membrane and Dicor frowns upon their use. These solvents are produced from crude oil and are great for removing heavy grease, tar, waxes, etc. However, petroleum distillate(s) is not the same as the oil contained in our A/C units; they are two entirely different things. The A/C oil does not degrade or harm the structural integrity of the Dicor roof in any way other than cosmetically.

All in all, the roof in the digital pics literally looks brand new. The service crew is outstanding. There was much more done to our coach as a result of an unrelated burglary and getting into all that would only echo my previously stated satisfaction with their work. Top notch group.

nfa1eab

I visited the repair shop yesterday. The roof and A/C's have been stripped. The rubber came off with no damage to the underlayment, sigh of relief there. New rubber was laid out on the top unfolding and relaxing. This shop seems very customer oriented. I spoke with the technician, and he seems very particular about making sure it is done right. I feel more comfortable after the visit. Wednesday, Dometic sent two engineers down to retrieve the old A/C units and rubber roofing for inspection and analysis. They told the shop manager they have had 30 instances of A/C and roof replacements and want to get a handle on the root cause or causes of the problem. So far so good.

Attachments

• 20170315_151059.jpg
    20170315_151059.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170315_151117.jpg
    20170315_151117.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170315_151106.jpg
    20170315_151106.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 41

alwaysbusy

I visited the repair shop yesterday. The roof and A/C's have been stripped. The rubber came off with no damage to the underlayment, sigh of relief there. New rubber was laid out on the top unfolding and relaxing. This shop seems very customer oriented. I spoke with the technician, and he seems very particular about making sure it is done right. I feel more comfortable after the visit. Wednesday, Dometic sent two engineers down to retrieve the old A/C units and rubber roofing for inspection and analysis. They told the shop manager they have had 30 instances of A/C and roof replacements and want to get a handle on the root cause or causes of the problem. So far so good.

Great news and I'm glad it's going well.