Winegard Traveler Issues

Arrgggh!!!! I just purchased a Winegard Traveler Satellite for DISH T.V. A very experienced technician with 20 years of doing this sort of thing on fifth wheels installed the unit for me. I ordered it off of Amazon. Everything worked perfectly after the install we enjoyed TV. We traveled 143 miles and I went to power on the unit and the dish will not deploy! Shiver me timbers! Errrr...The error message I’m getting is “antenna connection failed”. I’ve checked all of the splitters, connectors on the roof and inside the RV the receivers, etc. it just doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t deploy after only one use. I’ve checked every conceivable connection and cannot figure out why the satellite dish will not deploy. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it possible my interface could’ve cropped out in just one day? Any help y’all can provide would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

I got nothing. But, consider calling the installer for advice. With his vast experience, he may have some ideas on this. Plus he installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Call Winegard Tech Support at [FONT=&quot]800-788-4417, they have always been helpful when I contacted them.

[/FONT]

carl.swoyer

Arrgggh!!!! I just purchased a Winegard Traveler Satellite for DISH T.V. A very experienced technician with 20 years of doing this sort of thing on fifth wheels installed the unit for me. I ordered it off of Amazon. Everything worked perfectly after the install we enjoyed TV. We traveled 143 miles and I went to power on the unit and the dish will not deploy! Shiver me timbers! Errrr...The error message I’m getting is “antenna connection failed”. I’ve checked all of the splitters, connectors on the roof and inside the RV the receivers, etc. it just doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t deploy after only one use. I’ve checked every conceivable connection and cannot figure out why the satellite dish will not deploy. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it possible my interface could’ve cropped out in just one day? Any help y’all can provide would be appreciated!
While I was in KEY WEST FL January and February I met a guy who had the same problem.
Wingard warrantied it sent him a new one and he sent the bad one back.
When I left he was having issues with the traveler stowing.
I'd call Wingard directly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

While I was in KEY WEST FL January and February I met a guy who had the same problem.
Wingard warrantied it sent him a new one and he sent the bad one back.
When I left he was having issues with the traveler stowing.
I'd call Wingard directly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone for the replies. Here’s what I have learned and I will share in hopes that it can help others. The Winegard Trav’ler while not a bad product does have issues at some point in the life of the product. Of course, this is not all Winegard products. Some have been used for years and have no issues at all. Mine had issues in three days. The two main issues are usually the data cable that connects the reflector dish to the interface unit that is kept inside of the RV or the turret itself. I decided to solve the problem with a company based out of Salt Lake City Utah called RF Mogul. Here’s why...
1. Their customer service and support is stellar and unlike Winegard you can get service from your local dealer who installed the reflector otherwise known as “the dish” and you don’t have to de-install it, box it up, pay for the shipping and send it back to the manufacturer every time there is an issue.
2. Unlike the Winegard, all of the electronics are located inside the interface which in turn is located inside the RV. The advantages are many not the least of which is the electronics are kept out of the weather because they are not in the reflector itself. Many, if not all common technical issues that make crop up with the interface can be handled over the phone and solved very easily.
3. Unlike the Winegard the RF Mogul uses worm screw motors which are much more reliable in the long term.
4. The majority of the manufacturing of the reflector is done in the United States with a few assorted parts made in China And the build quality is much beefier.
5. The LNB Arms are easily interchangeable so that if you decide you want to switch to another service provider it can be easily done. This makes the the RF Mogul incredibly flexible. Say you want to switch from DISH to DIRECTV. Just switch out an LNB arm and you’re good to go. Say you travel to Canada and you want to have an extended stay there you can easily swap your RF Mogul LNB arm and watch Canada’s programming.
6. The software on the interface unit located inside of the RV can easily be updated via USB stick.
7. The average satellite acquisition time for this product is three minutes.

In conclusion, I believe the RF Mogul is a better built product with higher possibilities for longevity and significantly better customer service with no need to return the product to the manufacturer should there be a failure.